MapleTree Ear+ HD vs. Little Dot?
Jan 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

JeepnHeel

New Head-Fier
I'm getting ready to venture into TT/Tube audio for the first time (wow, just planning it all is expensive and addicting)...

My sources are a turntable/phono stage, and a PC/DAC. I have a set of Grado 325is that I plan to use, maybe also grabbing Senn HD650s further on down the road for contrast.

My question is this-- between the two options below, what would you guys choose?

A) Little Dot I+ initially for Grados, then also a MKIII later for Senns/Grados... However, as I would want to listen through a power amp/speakers also (and because I have 2 sources), I would need to get a MAD LR1 switch to toggle the sources and the amps.
COST: LD I+, LD MKIII, MapleTree LR1, Extra section BJC LC1 cable = ~$650

B) MapleTree Ear+Purist HD
After talking with Dr. Peppard (Wow, what a great guy), he could customize the EAR+ HD to toggle my two sources within the headamp. If I then used the line-out of it to my power amp, I could get away with no LR1 switch (correct me if I'm wrong, here). From what I've been reading, the Ear+ HD is well matched to both the Grado's and the Senn's.
COST: ~$740

I listen to about 40% Blues/Jazz, 30% Rock/Metal, and the rest Classical, Folk, Acoustic guitar. Not really into Rap/Pop/R&B (modern). The DAC will be a Little Dot DAC_I (not worried about stacking, would be stored separately), and the turntable is a vintage Pioneer.

Is the MAD Ear+ $100 better than the Little Dot combo, in your opinion?
dt880smile.png

Jan 30, 2010 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 15
get the ear+ hd, can't go wrong. it was built around sennheiser hd600 and is marvelous with grado as well.

Jan 30, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 15
I have had a limited experience w/ amps from Little Dot. Overall it has been very positive and I have enjoyed my time with them.

I have had much more experience w/ amps by Dr. Lloyd and I would go this route as well for Grado and Senn HD580/600. Good luck.

Feb 3, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate it, and am glad to seemingly be on the right track with the MAD.

Anybody else out there with experience using either of these good amps? I am pulling the trigger in the next few days, and am really struggling with this one....

Feb 3, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #5 of 15
I will be upgrading to the Ear+ HD Super instead of the WA2 after doing more research and hearing great testimonials. It will do well with Grados, Senns, and the T1 apparently. I'm all in. good luck with your decision!

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #6 of 15
I think I would go with Mapletree. I have heard Little Dot amps and they are quite good. I've not heard the Mapletree but the specs look really good. Best thing is to audition if you can at a meet but if somehow they both sound similar, I would go with Mapletree because they are very beautiful looking amps.

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seamaster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think Little Dot and Mapletree are in same sound quality leadgaue

I agree! A buddy of mine has the Little Dot MKIV and we both agree, NOT even close!

The MAD tube amp is the way to go!

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #9 of 15
Thanks to everyone for the advice! It sounds like I have an appointment with Dr. Peppard coming up. Knowing me, fully unable to leave well enough alone, I will get the MAD Ear+ HD and LD DAC_I now, then maybe a LD I+ for comparison purposes next year (cheap enough). By then, however, I'm sure I will have fully convinced myself that my turntable and power amp NEED to be upgraded. My wallet is glaring at me.
angry_face.gif

On that note, would you guys roll any parts on the Ear+ HD? Are the stock tubes the best out there for it? Either way, I wouldn't be changing anything out for quite a while.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #11 of 15
Will you ugrade to the Ear + HD Super, if so will you get the upgraded power supply?
You can shoot MacedonianHero a PM ( I don't think he'd mind me forwarding you to him ) regarding the tube upgrade he made.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:46 PM Post #12 of 15
Hrm - that's an interesting question... from what I had read, the main difference between the Super and the regular HD was supposed to be power-related only (not SQ). The impression that I got was if you planned on running two sets of cans at once, get the Super, otherwise get the regular HD. Am I correct in my understanding there?

Thanks as well for the tip -- I will drop a PM if MacedonianHero doesn't mind!

Feb 5, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepnHeel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hrm - that's an interesting question... from what I had read, the main difference between the Super and the regular HD was supposed to be power-related only (not SQ). The impression that I got was if you planned on running two sets of cans at once, get the Super, otherwise get the regular HD. Am I correct in my understanding there?

Thanks as well for the tip -- I will drop a PM if MacedonianHero doesn't mind!

PM responded too...no problem...glad I could help.

For what it's worth, I've been using my MAD Ear+HD amp this evening and I decided to pop in my NOS Mullard Viking tube in. It's a 12AX7 and not my standard 5751 (30% more gain) and WOW, it really sounds great with my beyer T1s (600 ohms)!

The 5751s are ideal for Grado/Denon (I have just sold these off to finance my HD800s...incoming tomorrow...), but with 250ohms + cans, I would recommend picking up a 12AX7.

My recommendations (based on what I've heard) would be:

Mullard (NOS), note that there is a re-issue made in Russia and it's ok, but not as good as the older UK build tubes
Sylvania Grey Plate (or Black Plate) Triple Mica NOS tubes

I do have a Gold Series Tung Sol coming in tomorrow too and I'll update what I find with that later this weekend.

As you can tell, tube rolling is FUN! And relatively inexpensive...a rare thing with this hobby indeed.
biggrin.gif

Feb 18, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #14 of 15
I've finally spent some serious time listening to my HF-2s with an older Ear+. I initially discounted the MAD amps as I was A/B-ing the HF-2s against RS-1s. Now that I've spent some real time with a MAD amp, I have to say the synergy with it and Grados is outstanding! I've been comparing it against a first version Gilmore Lite, and while both are absolutely excellent, I'd go for the MAD! Fun, engaging, fast, musical, detailed, warm, smooth, deep bass. AMAZING amp! Go for the MAD!

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #15 of 15
Get the MAD! I have a purist 150. It adds body and soul to the music.it is hard to stop the music as the amp just gives that extra breath of life to the music. I prefer it to my RWA Isabellina. Great synergy with MS-2 and He-500.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back