Mapletree Ear +HD or PPX3 Slam...
Feb 5, 2008 at 6:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Paxonator

Head-Fier
Ok for headphones I have the rs-1 and hd-650. The 650's haven't seen much use since the rs-1’s showed up. I left this cursed place after the 650’s for over a year, then out of nowhere some rs-1’s showed up on my doorstep and I'm now looking at a better amp. I'm hoping after this I will have satisfied my curiosity.

I've narrowed it down to the mapletree ear+ HD or the PPX3 Slam. Both are in within my price range (I will buy used). Now I don't really need two headphones for home use and I will ultimately use the headphone I prefer best. The other will be used for portable or whatever. I've read many threads regarding both amps but would like some more input.

I listen to a pretty wide variety of music such as: Oasis, Bush, Metallica, TOOL, Elton John, Hootie & the Blowfish, Barenaked Ladies and Every now again throw in some 1812 Overture. I'm mostly into the lyrics and vocals that's why I am probably digging the rs-1's. I enjoy the vocals from these cans.

So let's here some opinions and suggestions.

Feb 5, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #2 of 12
I have owned both the amps you are interested in; plus an Ear+ Super. I think the PPX3 is clearly better to my ears (pun intended).
wink.gif

I definitely like the Grados better with the PPX3 .... and the Senns much better. I use the Alessandro MS2/ MS2i and the Senn 600 currently and could not be happier. In short, the PPX3 has more realism and more musicality.

The Mapletrees are gone and I have actually added another PPX3 SLAM.

aug25_meet%20004.jpg

aug25_meet%20005.jpg

Feb 5, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 12
Well I'm going for musicality. The one thing I don't know much about is the differnce between the regular PPX3 and the 6SN7 version...

Feb 5, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Paxonator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I'm going for musicality. The one thing I don't know much about is the differnce between the regular PPX3 and the 6SN7 version...

The original PPX3 used 6cg7 tubes X 3, the PPX3-6sn7 used 6sn7 tubes X 3, the original PPX3 SLAM used a 6cg7 for gain and 5687 output tubes. There is an upgraded version of the PPX3 SLAM that has an octal gain tube socket for using 6sn7's or a tube socket adapter.

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 12
I was in the same boat as you awhile ago. Eventually I settled on a Gilmore Lite, but was looking at the Mapletree and Slams in the beginning. Sacd lover had me real close to buying a Slam, but I was just as close to buying a Mapletree. I haven't heard either, so I won't give an opinion on sound, but I will tell you that sacd lover seems to be a hardcore PPX3 enthusiast, so you might want to look for other opinions as well. No offense to sacd lover of course, but I'm sure there are lots of people who prefer their Mapletrees over the Slams. I think the Slam has many more tube rolling options though. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

BTW there is a Canadian member selling his Mapletree on the for sale forums for a good price.

Feb 6, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 12
I've read about the gilmore lite and GS-1. I am kind of leaning towards an amp for the rs-1's and the general consensus was ppx3 and mapletree. Although there was some xcan and ra1 in there as well. What made you decide on the gilmore lite as opposed to the other two? Basically I would just like good synergy and to have more moments where you forget about even having the headphones on.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 12
Of the tube combinations I've played around with, the 6SN7 driver with 2 5687s is still my favorite. Singlepower makes a great product, and the design really does let the sound of your tubes comes through. You might be surprised by how different the amp can sound based on the tubes you choose to use. Personally, I really like having that flexibility.

My experience with MAD is very limited but they do have a good reputation here. They're a bit a cheaper too.

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #9 of 12
FWIW, Singlepower is not only slow with building amps but servicing them too if anything should go wrong. Mapletree, on the other hand, I have no experience with, but at least they're in the same country as you.
tongue.gif

IMO you can't go wrong with either. Both are reported to be very good tube amps and either should handle your RS-1 easily.

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #10 of 12
Reading into things around here, it seems like the Singlepower is the better amp, but then you're paying more for it. I've been 100% satisfied with my Mapletree HD2/RS1 combo, especially with some decent NOS tubes rolled in, and Dr Peppard is a great guy to buy stuff from (just read you're buying used, so disregard that). Not that i've heard any Siglepower amps, so i can't comment there.

About my only quibble with my HD2, which i heard also somewhere else, is that the build, while tank-like solid, can look a little hand assembled at times; minor imperfections in paintwork and other little things like that. It's the sound that matters though
cool.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 12
I listened to both and actually preferred the EAR + greatly; hence my ownership of the amp today. I felt as though the PPX3 was just a tad too linear throughout its frequency range - by toning down the highs and reducing the midrange hump, the RS-1's seemed to lose some of their famed musicality and colored-nature.

The MAD unit, in contrast, increased the detail, sound stage size, and head stage size while retaining the un-even frequency response Grado's are famous for.

Keep in mind, however, that the build quality of Singlepower amps is certainly superior; as RAV has noted, MAD amps can often exhibit qualities of distinctly hand-made craftsmanship - although my recently purchased unit seems flawless.

Good luck,
Nick

Feb 7, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #12 of 12
Yes you can tell there's a difference in how they are built by pictures. I've always liked the style of Singlepower. But I actually picked up a EAR+ last night, should arrive next week. I'll give it a try and if it's not to my liking pick up something else. This will be my first time listening to a tube amp, but i'm thinking it will be a nice change from my pimeta.

Is there anything I should be careful with when first trying it out? Like just hooking up some random headphones to make sure everything is ok. And not to touch the tubes with my bare fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back