Many places to use Bose QC2!
Apr 19, 2004 at 12:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mchurgin

100+ Head-Fier
I never realized how much noise there is in my household, with three kids, dishwasher, dryer, HVAC, bass from three televisions and home theater etc....

There is definetly other places (Right at home) that these QC2 phones actually work quite well for allowing you to blockout outside ambient sounds and still enjoy some music and peace and quite, even it is not peaceful and quite around you. Those of you in similar family situations know what I'm talking about. If you do I reccomend these phones for you also, not just the bussiness traveler on a plane or train.

Apr 19, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mchurgin
I never realized how much noise there is in my household, with three kids, dishwasher, dryer, HVAC, bass from three televisions and home theater etc....

There is definetly other places (Right at home) that these QC2 phones actually work quite well for allowing you to blockout outside ambient sounds and still enjoy some music and peace and quite, even it is not peaceful and quite around you. Those of you in similar family situations know what I'm talking about. If you do I reccomend these phones for you also, not just the bussiness traveler on a plane or train.

Wait a minute...you are actually recommending Bose for isolation over the E2 which you own? Did I miss something?
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

Apr 19, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #4 of 17
Yeah, I (indirectly) own both the Bose QC2 and the Shure e2s and although they both block noise, they're definitely good for different purposes. I like to use the Shures when I'm sitting still because I'm still traumatized by the many times the cord snagged onto something and they got yanked out of my ears... And the Bose is a heck of a lot easier to put on and take off when someone's trying to talk to you. My friend developed this new method of communication. When she wants to talk to me and I'm listening with the canalphones, she'll tap it. It's possibly the most irritating thing she's come up with yet.

Anyway, yeah. Agreed, noise-cancelling is useful. It's is nice to have both.

Apr 19, 2004 at 11:57 AM Post #6 of 17
A kindred spirit, I see....

I've got two kids, central AC & heat, TV going, radio going, dishwasher, dryer, refrigerator, computer, shower, neighbors' lawnmowers, on and on...

Not only do the Bose QC2s provide me my little moments of heavenly relaxation... in a portable system, in a home hifi system, with my main heapdhone rig, anywhere... I just whip them off when I'm needed back in the real world!

Now, go off-the-charts rad head-fi and put a Behringer DEQ2496 digital equalizer in your best system and you have..... Super Hi-Fi Bose QC2s!!!! Believe me, it is SWEET. Plus it will take any headphone into the stratospheres of hifi (my oh my you should hear it with the HD580!), not just the QC2. But that's another story....
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mchurgin

Apr 19, 2004 at 1:04 PM Post #7 of 17
All this talks....

Does the QC2 effectively block your boring prof's lecture?

I never see QC2, but I might see and try QC1 today, if I could find the guy, he said he will be wearing it with green shirt in library today. (posted it on school's board)

Apr 19, 2004 at 1:40 PM Post #8 of 17
Don't bother with the QC1. By all accounts, the QC2 is much better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince
All this talks....

Does the QC2 effectively block your boring prof's lecture?

I never see QC2, but I might see and try QC1 today, if I could find the guy, he said he will be wearing it with green shirt in library today. (posted it on school's board)

Apr 19, 2004 at 1:55 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve999
Don't bother with the QC1. By all accounts, the QC2 is much better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nah.. just comparing for the shape and the comfort and how big is that thing actually
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #10 of 17
Well.. here I am, I did a quick test of the QC1, I found it really comfortable and the size are like eggos (if memory serve me correct, been a while since having an eggo). However, the sounds, I found that the bass is quite muffled and for vocal (female voice), it just doesn't sounds right to me, I don't know how to explain it.

But I think I would go for them for the comfort and 'portability' alone.

Keep in mind, this is QC1 that I tried though, don't know how much different with the QC2. And one thing that tickle me is that you can't use the cans if you don't have noise reduction on, which means you need to have a pair of battery on it and turn them on before listening.

-Prince

Apr 19, 2004 at 8:26 PM Post #11 of 17
Thanks for the impressions. The QC2s are a tremendous improvement sonically over the QC1s. I wouldn't recommend the QC1s under any circumstances. Just as I wouldn't recommend the Triports under any circumstances.

Also, unlike the QC1s, the QC2s have no separate unit attached to them, it's just the headphones themselves, and the QC2s run for a very long time on just one AAA battery.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Well.. here I am, I did a quick test of the QC1, I found it really comfortable and the size are like eggos (if memory serve me correct, been a while since having an eggo). However, the sounds, I found that the bass is quite muffled and for vocal (female voice), it just doesn't sounds right to me, I don't know how to explain it.

But I think I would go for them for the comfort and 'portability' alone.

Keep in mind, this is QC1 that I tried though, don't know how much different with the QC2. And one thing that tickle me is that you can't use the cans if you don't have noise reduction on, which means you need to have a pair of battery on it and turn them on before listening.

-Prince

Apr 19, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve999
Thanks for the impressions. The QC2s are a tremendous improvement sonically over the QC1s. I wouldn't recommend the QC1s under any circumstances. Just as I wouldn't recommend the Triports under any circumstances.

Also, unlike the QC1s, the QC2s have no separate unit attached to them, it's just the headphones themselves, and the QC2s run for a very long time on just one AAA battery.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks for the info.
Can you hear thru the QC2 without having to have the noise reduction on? I was thinking what happen if someone happens to send me a emmeline as a gift and the UPS guy just left it on front door since no one answer the door.

icon10.gif

Apr 20, 2004 at 12:22 AM Post #13 of 17
My QC2's out of the box were terrible. Good low pitch noise cancellation, but no transperancy, muddy bass, weak mid and treble. However, I'm actually amazed that after just letting them play for about 72 hours continuous, the sound spectrum has markedly changed. They now have more spatiality and better mid range. Treble has come a bit more foreward. Who would have believed it? They are 100% better. I'm still going to try ER4P's and S's to compare, but don't return them until you give them a burn-in period. Then if they still don't satisfy, they can be returned.

Oh, BTW, they don't block speach except for the lower tones. A person with a higher voice will be clearly heard.

Apr 20, 2004 at 12:26 AM Post #14 of 17
QC2s only work with noise reduction on. I think the noise reduction circuitry is also used to clean up resonances and EQ the sound a lot. Otherwise there'd be no way you could make a good-sounding high isolation phone so lightweight and comfortable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Thanks for the info.
Can you hear thru the QC2 without having to have the noise reduction on? I was thinking what happen if someone happens to send me a emmeline as a gift and the UPS guy just left it on front door since no one answer the door.

icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back