Many people listen to headphones because they cannot afford this quality in speakers.
Mar 12, 2004 at 6:22 AM Post #16 of 49
Holy craptastical crappenhosenhagen!!!

There appears to be a Mark Levinson tube amp on each driver in that horn/line array configuration... not to mention a bewildering number of high-current solid state amps.

Whew. Looks like a palace in there. Someone has some SERIOUS money to burn!!!!!

(they could have spent more on the rack)
tongue.gif

Mar 12, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #17 of 49
nah i dont think so. i think imho i have a pretty decent set speaker set up - nothing stratosphereically high end but decent enough and i enjoy it very much but i enjoy listening through my headphones a lot more simply because it draws me into the music and the music reveals more of itself than it would through speakers. i have heard music on some pretty expensive speaker setups but i dont seem to enjoy the same music as i do on a pair of good headphones - plus i enjoy the isolation that headphone listening affords and as music is a very personal matter to me and because my tastes can be a bit quirky, headphones allow me to indulge without intruding into someone else's aural space - i wouldnt want to inflict on my wife or any other family members john coltrane's outpourings or steve coleman's or spring heel jack's on the fly improvising - which i enjoy very much but im quite sure others may not. in fact i have been told by--ahem--that they really really really do not
600smile.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 12, 2004 at 7:00 AM Post #18 of 49
I like my speakers better, honestly. Nothing can really compare so far. I love headphones though, and there are very convenient and being in a college room with neighbors these are the best things you could have. If and when I move into a house I will probably sell one of my headphone setups, since I know for a fact I will be listening to my home setup more.

Mar 12, 2004 at 7:05 AM Post #19 of 49
I know most people here are arguing pro-headphone, but good speakers offer an experience unmatched by even the best headphone. A good speaker setup will give you visceral impact, like you are seeing a live performance. Headphones replicate live performances poorly in my opinion.
When wearing headphones, the music sounds fake in a way. It definately feels like you're just listening to tunes through your ears than sitting in a concert hall. For example, when the drummer hits a drum in a live show, you can feel the vibrations of the drum vibrate through your body. This adds greatly to the music listening experience and is why people purchase $10,000 speakers rather than $2,000 headphones.

Mar 12, 2004 at 7:10 AM Post #20 of 49
For me, headphones take me into my own little world, where I can sit and rest a while, without the intrusions and constant noise or the world around me. I can become a recluse for a while and come back to planet earth when I'm good and ready
600smile.gif
I can't quite achieve that with speakers, not living in close proximity with other humans, anyway
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 12, 2004 at 7:39 AM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by ipodstudio
For me, headphones take me into my own little world, where I can sit and rest a while, without the intrusions and constant noise or the world around me. I can become a recluse for a while and come back to planet earth when I'm good and ready
600smile.gif
I can't quite achieve that with speakers, not living in close proximity with other humans, anyway
very_evil_smiley.gif

exactly!!
600smile.gif

Mar 12, 2004 at 10:17 AM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by br--
I know most people here are arguing pro-headphone, but good speakers offer an experience unmatched by even the best headphone. A good speaker setup will give you visceral impact, like you are seeing a live performance. Headphones replicate live performances poorly in my opinion.
When wearing headphones, the music sounds fake in a way. It definately feels like you're just listening to tunes through your ears than sitting in a concert hall. For example, when the drummer hits a drum in a live show, you can feel the vibrations of the drum vibrate through your body. This adds greatly to the music listening experience and is why people purchase $10,000 speakers rather than $2,000 headphones.

If you want that sort of visceral feel - go get a really good subwoofer + headphones...
600smile.gif

[edit: wrong word. *cough*]

Mar 12, 2004 at 10:53 AM Post #25 of 49
yes, using a good quality sub that has a lot of visceral punch perfectly fills in that visceral experience that is lacking in headphones. they then turn into what you like about headphones and include also what you like about speakers...all roled into one
smily_headphones1.gif
i was at first skeptical about using this method, but it really works very well.

with headphones, the visceral experience is not totally absent, imo. when i listen to my HD650's, my heads feels like it is vibrating and my ear drums are definitely vibrating to the point that it tickles the inside of my ears. to me, this is visceral enough.

Mar 12, 2004 at 11:50 AM Post #26 of 49
name me one speaker that can give me the detail etys give.

ah. thought so.
wink.gif

Mar 12, 2004 at 1:57 PM Post #28 of 49
Both have their place.

Speakers for serious listening.
Headphones on the go and listening at night.

Personally I cant think of one thing my headphones (580/590/etc) can do better than my speakers.

Mar 12, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #29 of 49
Remodeling all offices in the building -> 4 million dollars
Cost of movers to relocate my office to a cubicle -> 300 dollars
Price of Sony MDR-V6 and overnight shipping for the new office mate-> 89.00 dollars
Able to listen to Senn HD-650 without interuption by the office mate's leaky $3 labtec headphone -> PRICELESS
280smile.gif

You see sometimes, listening to headphone is the only option at work especially if you have been just moved to cubicles for next 18 months.

-Mike

Mar 12, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally posted by adhoc
name me one speaker that can give me the detail etys give.

ah. thought so.
wink.gif

Well, their are plenty. The thing is, listening to a headphone is roughly equivalent to listening to a speaker in an anechoic chamber. You only hear the direct sound. A speaker in any real-life circumstance most operate in a real room, wich a lot of indirect energy is reflected throughout the room. You can simulate the effects of high quailty headphone, if you want, with speakers. Use nearfiled listening. Take an ESL panel speaker, be certain it's 7 or so feet from any walls, now place your listening chair about 3 feet from the speakers, now listen. Oh, this will collapse the soundstage, btw. :)

I, personally, prefer headphones for pop music. I use *speakers for acoustically recorded music(classical, jazz, opera, etc.). I can get a sense of realism in the spatial qualities that just can't be done on a headphone except for specialized binaural appliactions where a custom head/ears are molded for your features(to provide reliable, consistent realistic results). Then just try to arrange getting your favorite symphonies/artists to record your desired selections with your dummy head!!! :p

-Chris

* I refer to a dedicated listening room with specialized speakers, not a typical environment or speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back