Many headphones, need one amp.
Jun 24, 2011 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

lootbag

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
Just looking for some input here.

Looking to purchase my first desktop amp.
I plan to use it with current headphones and future ones.

Right now I currently only have a pair of Westone ES5s and Grado HF2s which I use on a daily basis with an iBasso D6 connected to my notebook with foobar and WASAPI.

I plan to buy a pair of HE-500s in the distant future.
So I am just contemplating which amp to buy that can be used with a wide range of headphones.
Ideally, I hope to be able to pair it with the D6 acting as the DAC.
Also, ideal budget would be <500.

Schitt Lyr looks like a good option.
But is probably more than what I need to drive Grados and IEMS.
However I want an amp that can drive the HE-500 well.
My question is... should I buy an amp? Or invest in a new DAC + amp combo... something like the Centrance DACmini?

Any suggestions welcome!
Thanks!

Jun 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #2 of 4
I think a combo DAC/amp makes sense when paired with a notebook, but I think it makes less sense with a desktop system. As I'm sure you know, the flexibility of separates seems made-to-order for desktops. Unless you really need the dedicated amp now, why not wait until you are closer to buying those headphones? Is there something preventing you from using the D6 with your desktop system?

Jun 26, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #3 of 4
A DAC/amp combo, something like the Centrance DACmini sounds like a good versatile buy but I always wanted to try a tube amp.
Nothing is preventing me from using the D6 with the possible desktop system.
In fact, it would be best if it I used it as a source for the amp, save $ at the same time by not investing into another DAC for home/desktop use.
Would it make any sense... to use the D6 with something like the Schiit Lyr along with HF-2s and HE-500s?

Jun 26, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 4
Can't speak to the HF-2s or the HE-500s from experience. However, I've seen =542064&output=posts&action=disp]posts regarding the HE-500s and the Lyr in the Lyr Shipping thread; and leesure liked the combo.

The reason I suggested waiting is that you never know what is going to come out between now and when you do get around to getting the HE-500s. If the D6 is working fine with the HF-2s and your notebook, why won't it work just as well with your desktop system? That said, I did get the Lyr in anticipation of what was going to be a late summer purchase of the LCD-2s. Until then, I know the Lyr is overkill for the HD650s, but that certainly doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back