Manufacturer show of support deleted: Why?
Jan 31, 2005 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Canman

Headphoneus Supremus
I find it surprising that a manufacturer comment was deleted from a sale thread of a broken amp. In the following thread, akio posted a broken PPX3:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=103703

Mikhail posted that the amp was under warranty and that he would repair it for free. Why was this post deleted? I see manufacturer's bend the rules on occasion and moderators show strong support for certain manufacturers but I find it rather disturbing that moderators would not allow manufacturers to show support for their product.

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:49 AM Post #2 of 26
Most likely because those posts (I read them, fyi) did not directly relate to an actual or potential transaction itself, thus not staying within the rule that FS/FT forum is not a discussion forum. I've seen plenty of mods delete posts in FS/FT forums that were related to items on sale or trade in particular thread but had nothing to do with potential transactions regardless of who posted those posts.

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #3 of 26
The idea is simply that there's no discussion in the FS forum, by manufacturers or otherwise. So that's why it's not there anymore, simple as that. Just because Mikhail is the manufacturer doesn't mean that his posts should be treated any differently, and that correspondence could have easily occurred through PM.

Jan 31, 2005 at 4:51 AM Post #4 of 26
brian,

most likely because the guy deleted all of the other responses, and to leave mikhails i guess would be sort of hypocritical.

Yet, i don't think any of them should have been deleted in the first place. Hypocrisy is the fact that some of the for sale threads are left unmoderated, then interestingly, some aren't. How strange.

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
...Yet, i don't think any of them should have been deleted in the first place. Hypocrisy is the fact that some of the for sale threads are left unmoderated, then interestingly, some aren't. How strange.

That's exactly my problem with it.

Jan 31, 2005 at 5:51 AM Post #6 of 26
I have no beef with moderating the FS/FT threads and deleting comments, but I feel Mikhail's offer to fix the amp for free seems pretty relevant to the sale.

Jan 31, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #7 of 26
Yeah, it's definitely relevant.

Jan 31, 2005 at 6:36 AM Post #9 of 26
not knowing the details of the thread I can not comment on the specifics but I can direct you to rule #4 and #5 as stated in the for sale and feedback forums

Quote:

4) Please limit comments to your personal transaction experiences -- the Feedback forum is not a discussion forum. If your experience was less than ideal, try to explain exactly what happened on a factual basis -- you may be upset, but don't flame. If the buyer/seller is someone to avoid dealing with in the future, your explanation of exactly what happened should be enough to inform others.

5) If you disagree with a negative comment written about you, it is your reponsibility to contact the person who posted it and resolve the situation; you can ask the person to edit or ammend their negative post. Discussions of the transaction are not appropriate in this forum.

these rules are clearly stated as to the "non discussion' aspect of the forums and any such posts are better dealt with offline or via a PM.It is then within the rules for the intial poster to amend his or her thoughts/posts in the feedback area.

hope this clarifies things a bit before this gets out of hand and this thread gets locked or goes bye bye

rickmonsterator

Jan 31, 2005 at 8:06 AM Post #10 of 26
I saw the thread before it was moderated and I think Mikhail's post was perfectly relevant to the thread. It showed his dedication to his products and his desire to make things right. Some of the other posts might have been a little off topic, but no more than a lot of the other FS/FT trade threads.

Jan 31, 2005 at 8:21 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

I saw the thread before it was moderated and I think Mikhail's post was perfectly relevant to the thread.

relevant or not it is still outside the rule as stated and this is especially true of members of the trade who know better.The moderating crew has deleted and edited posts from every single major manufacturer if it was deemed to be either blatantly outside the rules or even if in a gray area.we can not afford to look like we play favorites so if we err it is always on the side of caution.

Again for those who don't seem to get it-read rule #4 and #5 .The areas being discussed are NOT areas open for discussion but have strict guidelines that must be followed by everyone .

The thread in question is one that could have been and should have been resolved in private then once all parties satisfied an amended post can be made if the party intiating so wanted.

you guys really need to get a grip and realise the rules are not for a few but for all and no matter where your loyalties lie we,the mods,will at some point probably piss everyone off equally.

As it should be if we are to be unbiased

Jan 31, 2005 at 9:50 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Guys - if the mods/admin did something - they did it after a lot of thought, discussion and deliberation.

I don't think so. Otherwise it would be a full-time job .... and they are already busy by checking all those threads and posts.
smily_headphones1.gif
tongue.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 10:02 AM Post #13 of 26
Now that I think about it, I can recall an FS thread in which (I believe) Ray Samuels posted that he would give a refund on a recently-purchased unit, and all that was deleted before the thread passed. Same as it ever was.

Jan 31, 2005 at 11:50 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by mjg
brian,

most likely because the guy deleted all of the other responses, and to leave mikhails i guess would be sort of hypocritical.

Yet, i don't think any of them should have been deleted in the first place. Hypocrisy is the fact that some of the for sale threads are left unmoderated, then interestingly, some aren't. How strange.

Mods are only human, with finite hours in the day. Some threads with off topic posts slip through the cracks.

Not everyone is absurdly obsessed with this forum logged in practically 24/7.....Um.....yeah.
evil_smiley.gif

-Ed

Jan 31, 2005 at 12:09 PM Post #15 of 26
Folks, let's not make a conspiracy out of this.

I've reviewed the threads, and I'd echo JMT's comments regarding this: the sale forum is not a discussion forum.

If anyone has missed anything where something similar has occurred, it's a coincidence. We try to get everything, but we sometimes miss things. There is no hypocrisy, and the not-so-thinly veiled implication that there's more to this than meets the eye is simply wrong.

The SELLER is selling a broken amp. That information is obviously in his opinion relevant to the transaction. If the SELLER wishes to make mention of the fact that the manufacturer has offered to fix his broken amp, he may do so. Otherwise, it's not the place for the manufacturer or anyone else to comment on it. Frankly, if I were he, I'd return the amp to the manufacturer and get it fixed. After all, a working amp is a lot more valuable than a broken one.

The manufacturer is free to offer to fix the amp. In the end, however, the place to comment on this sort of thing is in the feedback forum, or via PM. The sale forums are not discussion forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back