manufacture beyer's sound fat and muffled
Jul 31, 2007 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BlueSundays

100+ Head-Fier
Hello.

Ive got some pretty cool manufacture beyer 990's that are of the 600ohm variety. They are also recabled with silver dragon cable.

after around 100 some hours break in, they sound muffled. Now I own another pair of these phones in 300 ohm variety (yes the 05 ones) and they are not so muffled sounding.

Im powering them with a woo audio 2 with nos everything, tung sol 5998 tubes as well as a prehead mkII se, pretty much fat sounding on both.

I honestly dont recall my pre 05s sounding this fat with a wheatfield audio ha-2!

Any body have any ideas???
Maybe the leather pads baby???
Thanks,
Blue

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:20 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueSundays /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe the leather pads baby???

That's what I would say. The consensus here seems to be that the leather pads really increase the bass on the Beyer phones. Most people feel the 990 already has enough bass and therefore it becomes overpowering. IIRC, the 990s use the same drivers as the 770s, in which case, they could suffer from bass that overpowers the midrange (this is true of the stock 770s in my experience, which I felt gave it a muffled sound). The leather is good with the 880s as there's quite a few people who feel they lack in bass presence/quantity. I would guess the leather is more stiff or thicker padded (and so doesn't squish against your head like the velour and pleather does), but I haven't seen/felt them so I can't say for certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back