Manual Lawnmowers?
May 16, 2006 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Zanth

SHAman who knew of Head-Fi ten years prior to its existence
Maybe a strange thread but whatever
tongue.gif

So my gas powered lawnmower died last season. It was a hand-me-down and now that it is dead, I'm off to buy a new one. However, I want a manual lawnmower, none of this gas/electric stuff. Certainly not all lawnmowers are built to the same standards. I don't have a massive space, maybe 60x40 in the back and maybe 2(50x20) stretches in the front. Does anyone have any experience with manual mowers and have an opinion on what to look for etc?

May 16, 2006 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
Heh, my mom got one. Cost as much as a gas mower and does a rather poor job of it. I've never used one myself but they don't have too much good to say about theirs.

Really? Wow..that kinda sucks. I realized that they do cost nearly as much if not more than a gas or electric mower. I was hoping that it work nearly as well if not as well depending on the length of grass and I could be all ecco friendly. What are their actual complaints?

May 16, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire
Heh, my mom got one. Cost as much as a gas mower and does a rather poor job of it. I've never used one myself but they don't have too much good to say about theirs.

I hope it wasn't a Gardena's product....I was about to go for this one:

http://www.gardena.com/servlet/Produ...6159&langId=14

There is even one working with the help of a battery. Not sure about that one. I spent a few summers in garden centers and I know the regular ones are pretty good.

http://www.gardena.com/servlet/Produ...egory_rn=12675

Amicalement

May 16, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
I hope it wasn't a Gardena's product....I was about to go for this one:

http://www.gardena.com/servlet/Produ...6159&langId=14

Amicalement

No that's not the one. I will say that she has a new lawn that still needs to grow in. It did not look like the mower was effective at cutting the sparse grass. Did not seem like it could catch onto the blades. I'll try to remember to ask for her opinion on the mower the next time I talk to her.

May 16, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #6 of 24
I had considered buying a manual mower, but when my wife and I bought this place, the back lawn was too big for it. If you have a lawn that you think you can handle with a manual, why not. I know that they have ones that will do a really good job, but they're generally fairly pricey for what they are, plus...what you really need is a riding lawn mower!
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 16, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless
what you really need is a riding lawn mower!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Now the choice is amazing...
biggrin.gif

The general fear about manual lawnmowers is comming from the hard work related to it. If someone is going for the «ecolo route» the work wont be that challenging. They usually stay away from chemical feeding of their grass. By doing so they avoid the trap of cutting often a grass that they force to grow fast. Bio feeding products will encourage a slower lawn progression and a more healthy one. Bottom line: they will cutt the cutting time.....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

May 16, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #8 of 24
I purchased one from Sears, and I'm pretty happy with it. It cuts much nicer than a rotary-blade type of mower.

I also like it because it doesn't make noise, so I can cut my grass at 7 am and not make the neighbors mad.

I wouldn't recommend it for anything but the smallest of suburban lawns, because I like to cut my grass in two different directions, and I recommend that for anyone with a manual mower. It provides nice, even cutting of the blades - much less traumatic than a rotary blade.

Got to sharpen the blades once a year, though. I take mine to a local mower shop.

May 16, 2006 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer

Got to sharpen the blades once a year, though. I take mine to a local mower shop.

Ah interesting! There is a great shoppe not to far from my place. That would work out splendidly.

May 16, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #11 of 24
I love mine. It's a Scotts, I think - we bought it from Amazon in 2004 when they were having an "all home & garden stuff ships free" promo (and an 18' ladder, too, what a bargain!). For 2004 and 2005 it worked fine, and it's nice not to have that roaring in the ears (though the UM2 would probably help with that). It was only $120 at the time.

For 2006 we used it a few times and it was getting really hard to push, so we got the sharpening kit and the recommended lube kit and Chris spent an hour last Saturday fixing it up. It cuts really well now, but is still really hard to push. We are considering getting an electric mower, but probably not until Spring '07.

May 16, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #13 of 24
IMO, the environment cannot be worth the backbreaking effort required by a manual mower. Stick to gas, you stamina will thank you.

May 16, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 24
or any for that matter? Just hire somebody, he'll do it for $25
eggosmile.gif

May 16, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
I don't have a massive space, maybe 60x40 in the back and maybe 2(50x20) stretches in the front. Does anyone have any experience with manual mowers and have an opinion on what to look for etc?

Zanth,

When I had a small lot I used a 16 pound German manual push mower by the name of Brill Luxus. It took about 75% longer to mow the same area as a power mower but I didn't care because it was so relaxing compared to a noisey, gas mower. Sort of like the difference between power boating and sailing. This particular model works very well as long as you are cutting a relatively flat lawn. The up side to the design (blades don't touch the cutter bar) is that it hardly ever needs sharpening and requires less pushing effort, literally one hand is enough. My 85 year old neighbor got rid of his traditional manual push (Scotts style) and bought a Brill Luxus after using mine once. The down side of the design is that twigs will jam it. Just think, with a manual mower you can wear open cans!
rs1smile.gif
Overall, highly recommended.

Edit: Here are some testimonials from another site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back