Manga Thread
Oct 25, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #61 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyC
Remote. Genius detective who can't leave his basement (still not explained why). Hot engaged metermaid promoted to detective to do the field work for him. They remain in contact by cellphone, she feeds him info, he tells her what to do.

Oh, you mean this?
icon10.gif

0783240295.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Oct 26, 2005 at 3:28 AM Post #62 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vashin
I find most manga to be pretty bad, but the ones that tend to stick out and are really good are the more realistic ones. I second the vagabond recomendation, but also try out Monster (dramaish, mysteryish, present day).

That comes down to taste really. I don't disagree that there is horrible manga out there (which use a recycled storyline involving robots or schoolgirls or children or all of them combined, drawn by a two year old who makes sure by the the end of a volume the female characters 'lose' their clothes at least twice), but most manga that has caught my attention have well developed characters (you start to think you know them after a while =P) with avant-garde storylines to boot (+ they usually have a unique drawning style).

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyC
Remote. Genius detective who can't leave his basement (still not explained why). Hot engaged metermaid promoted to detective to do the field work for him. They remain in contact by cellphone, she feeds him info, he tells her what to do. As the series has moved on she has gained more confidence in the field. Each crime solved every 1.5 volumes or so.

Looks good. Sounds like the tv series 'Monk' minus the fact that this detective isn't compulsive and is home bound.

Oct 27, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #64 of 105
That's like saying I find most fiction to be bad, or I find most movies to be bad. Naturally, there are some movies you will go for, and others which you wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole even before seeing the preview. It's just a medium, more so than american comics which seem to be 95% super hero.

Oct 28, 2005 at 5:22 AM Post #65 of 105
Writing and execution aside, how bout that latest gantz chapter, eh?

Oct 28, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #66 of 105
Chapter 217? Heart-warming but I bet they'll all get screwed again in the next chapter.
tongue.gif

Oct 28, 2005 at 6:24 AM Post #67 of 105
Best manga of all time is Ranma 1/2

Very few manga actually keep me interested past the first volume. Currently, the only one I'm following is "Yakitate Japan!" (^o^) It's bread-fi on steroids.

Oct 28, 2005 at 2:43 PM Post #68 of 105
Heart warming?
eek.gif
That's the last thing on my mind
tongue.gif
I'm ready to see more wanton destruction...And there's that first girl still left to revive.

Oct 28, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #69 of 105
Gantz is getting pretty cool, I think the next one probably going head to head w/ those vampires.
Bleach kicks ass right now though, damn, can't wait for next scanlations.
Naruto starts to lose its edge IMHO.

Oct 29, 2005 at 12:29 PM Post #70 of 105
In Gantz, don't they need to revive the Lara Croft sidekick as well? But probably won't matter, the kid has pretty bad taste in women...

Yeah, Naruto is starting to lose appeal and it used to be really kickin. I think One Piece is still strong. Hunter X Hunter totally sucks now.

For other action/shonen stuff I think Airgear is pretty cool. Tenjou Tenge with rollerblades but without all the mystery and page-filling babbling from Tenjou Tenge. Eyeshield 21 is also funny, about American football.

Nov 13, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #71 of 105
So I was over at Barnes and Nobels the other day and decided to take a look at their manga section.
wink.gif
I found the Fullmetal Alchemist and Kenshin Rurouni Kenshin series and started to look at them out of curiorsity. They were surprisingly good, much better than the last time I tried to read manga and got bored after a few minutes.
icon10.gif

Anyway, I've seen both of the anime series and loved them (well except for anything after ep60 of Kenshin
rolleyes.gif
). My question is where in the mangas do the storyline start to differ. I don't want to buy all the mangas for both series ($$$!!!) when I already know what happens in the beginning.

For Fullmetal Alcmehist I might just read them offline, since the American versions seem a little behind. For Rurouni Kenshin if I can find the Chinese versions I might buy those since they are usually cheaper and the entire series is out already.
icon10.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #72 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
So I was over at Barnes and Nobels the other day and decided to take a look at their manga section.
wink.gif
I found the Fullmetal Alchemist and Kenshin Rurouni Kenshin series and started to look at them out of curiorsity. They were surprisingly good, much better than the last time I tried to read manga and got bored after a few minutes.
icon10.gif

Anyway, I've seen both of the anime series and loved them (well except for anything after ep60 of Kenshin
rolleyes.gif
). My question is where in the mangas do the storyline start to differ. I don't want to buy all the mangas for both series ($$$!!!) when I already know what happens in the beginning.

For Fullmetal Alcmehist I might just read them offline, since the American versions seem a little behind. For Rurouni Kenshin if I can find the Chinese versions I might buy those since they are usually cheaper and the entire series is out already.
icon10.gif

The next storyline, Jinchu Arc or revenge arc, for Rurouni Kenshin manga starts in the middle of volume 18. It's up to volume 20 currently in the U.S. At this point, it's pretty much flashbacking to his past in which we get the story for Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal series. I've always wanted to know the real story of the manga after Shishio, so I'm reading this manga series now. Kenshin is still my all time favorite anime.

Nov 15, 2005 at 12:49 AM Post #73 of 105
Ok, so Ichigo 100% is finally finished. Can't say I liked the ending too much but it has a fuzzy factor nevertheless. I think I''s was better in this regard although both series looked more and more alike towards the ending so that I sometimes mixed up earlier story parts by memory. Manaka chooses the wrong girl in the end though (imho, ymmv).
wink.gif

One Piece is becoming really cool, now that Luffy has just gotten a power up. Can't wait to see his legend unveil and I hope the epic feeling will improve even further.

Nov 15, 2005 at 1:19 AM Post #75 of 105
Perhaps I'm a bit too strict but I'm comparing all romance/comedy type of mangas to Maison Ikkoku and Adachi Mitsuru's works, so by that standard everything else is sub-par, imo of course. Dance Till Tomorrow is an exception since it's somehow special in its own right with a really messed-up story arc.

I have high expectations for Open Sesame. Not the best drawing but the plot is decent so far, the characters are very nice and without the stereotypical loser as protagonist. I also hope that Pastel will turn out nicely although they're really dragging on at the moment. I think Parallel had just the right length for an manga for this (Pastel-) kind of plot.

But I'm really waiting for the final volume of Adachi's Miyuki to be translated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back