Managing an archive
Mar 23, 2007 at 11:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

CSMR

1000+ Head-Fier
Can anyone recommend software or methods to manage music archives?

Here's what I will have

Lossless FLAC archive --> backup lossless archive
|
--> lossy OGG files

Same directory structure in all 3, same files except for being FLAC or OGG.

1. What's a good way to create the lossy files? Files should go from something like C:\Lossless archive\...\x.flac to C:\OGGs\...\x.ogg.
2. What's a good way to keep the backup and the OGGS up to date with newly ripped files?
3. What's a good way to keep the backup and OGG tags and album art up to date?

Thanks!

Mar 24, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #2 of 5
Lot's and lot's of work, that's what it takes.

1. Foobar2000 is your best friend. It takes pretty much every format and you can customize it to use any other one just about.
2. EAC and REACT are awesome together. I use them and it rips my wavpack and my mp3 files at the same time so I don't have to worry about which albums I have conveted lately.
3. Use any album art grabber and you'll have to do that manually most likely.

It all takes alot of work to keep everything up to date and organized correctly. PAIN IN THE BUTT. But the music is worth it!

Mar 28, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 5
That's nice. I do use the foobar encoder but it only seems to output either to a single output folder or (better but not quite what I want) the original directory. Then I'd need a simple file manager to move the oggs to where they should be, preserving the directory structure. Anyone know of anything? Do the mass-renaming programs you can google up create directories automatically?

Apr 2, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's nice. I do use the foobar encoder but it only seems to output either to a single output folder or (better but not quite what I want) the original directory. Then I'd need a simple file manager to move the oggs to where they should be, preserving the directory structure. Anyone know of anything? Do the mass-renaming programs you can google up create directories automatically?

I'm new to foobar as well, I've been using iTunes. When ripping a file in foobar, can foobar create a folder structure like iTunes does, i.e. Artist/Album?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back