man... where did all the bass go??
Nov 1, 2004 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

psy_jc

Head-Fier
Hello... I dunno where to start... but...
The I guess my question is, where's the bass on the Phillips HP910s? After listening only to the mx400 and mx500, I dcided to upgrade to the px200. I listened to it a few times, decided it didn't really suit my tastes, and bought the ksc-35s a couple of months ago. Now those I really liked, and still are my primary headphones on the go. But I wanted phones to use in the house, and got the 910s, but the sound seems so hollow, shrill, and bass-less. Is this just a matter of burn-in, since I've only played music through these for about 3 hours now? I think I've read in some posts that the 910 has "powerful" bass, if i remember correctly, but at least for now, I don't seem to feel any presence of bass in the music. Could it be a problem with the source (iPod or M-audio transit)?
Could those who own the 910s please comment on this?
Thanks,
JC

Nov 1, 2004 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't have the hp910, but I do have the hp890.

One review of the 910 made me go for the 890 instead:
"Flimsy and harsh, the higher frequencies are handled without any great refinement. Its treatment of So What by Miles Davis and Mascagni's Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana can only be described as machiavellian, portrayed as a cacophony of screeching horns and harsh strings, and handled with little finesse."

See also
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...Phillips+HP910

I think the bass of your 910 will improve with time. It took my 890 about 100 hours to really settle in. Just stuff them between a couple of pillows and let them play. Break in smoothed out the high end, and let them make bass notes.

I haven't listened to the 910, but have listened to the kc35. The koss35 phones have an exagerated and boomy midbass - but no real deep bass. To me all bass notes from the ksc35 seemed to have about the same sound - an excesive bump at about (if memory serves, I haven't used them for some time) 50-70hz. The bass was very present, but it all seemed to sound about the same - a thump. I'm guessing in time your 910's will develop more bass than they have now, but, likely it will not be as over emphasised as it is in your ksc35, but likely it will go deeper than the 35's do. The bass on the 910's is reported to be tighter than on the 890's, and the bass on the 890's is definitely tighter and deeper than on the ksc35, so you may or may not like it. Some people like the Thump - to me the bass on the 890 is still too loose, but it is heads above the 35. This is only my opinion, and worth every cent you paid for it. Your opinion may be different - that doesn't make either of us wrong, listen to what you like.

Give your new cans time, and lots of music, before you pass judgement.

Nov 2, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 5
The KSC-35s and other Koss 60 ohm headphones have a boomy midbass, albeit somewhat deeper than what dknightd thinks, they do go pretty deep, but emphasize the 40-70hz range quite a bit. Most headphones will sound a bit lean on bass compared to them.

If you want something with better deep bass performance, look in to some Sony V-6s or Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pros.

Nov 2, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 5
OK so am I correct in thinking that it's the ksc-35 that has extra bass boost, and not the hp910 that has way too little bass? If that's true, what other headphones with a price tag of less than $100 have bass presence that's more like the ksc-35's?

Nov 2, 2004 at 3:24 AM Post #5 of 5
AKG K240S has similar bass response to KSC-35. Also you might look at Senn HD497. Neither is necessarily a huge upgrade from KSC-35, for that you'll need to spend a bit more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back