Man, the new formats are getting cheap.
Jan 17, 2002 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

acidtripwow

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anybody noticed how SACD and DVD Audio are really coming down in price fast? Even DVD players with progressive scan are $299 now. I was reading a review today of the Toshiba SD-4700 DVD Audio player that retails for $299. It was a very favorable review, also. I also read a review of the Apex AD-7701 which is a SACD/DVD-Audio/Video player and it retails for $350. I think it is also a progressive scan player. That review wasn't as positive though.

Jan 18, 2002 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 4
Way of the world.Once a technology is accepted by the masses,it goes into full production.at that point it becomes more of the bottom line and not about the quality.
When home video tape machines were first offered to the public they were built like a battleship.Very massive transports,discrete circutry,useable features.
THE WAR WAS ON - BETA VS VHS
The early sony betamax machines were a work of art.
Not only that but a superior format-price about $1200
Same with early VHS,cost in the $1000 range
Both were a bargain at the time considering the alternative.
As the technology matured the basic circutry was reduced from a massive amount of discret parts to large scale integrated circuts.This reduced manufacturing costs and overall parts count.It ALSO eliminated the possibility of servicing the device at any rational cost.
Meant to be that way,disposable.
Why fix a thing that can be replaced for half the price !
When SACD and DVDA shake out,when the consumer chooses,watch how cheap and how fast.
BUT YOU GAIN NOTHING !
An inferior piece of equiupment with a finite lifespan meant to be "tossed" when it fails.
The days of "tweaking" will be a fond memory once "propietry" devices handle what once took standard off the shelf parts to accomplish.
TRY AN FIND THE FKN DATASHEETS !
We won't even go into service manuals
Man I could rant on but instead I will just say

Enjoy ,only gets worse
BUT HEY ! IT WILL BE CHEAPER

Jan 18, 2002 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 4
Yeah, now if only stores would stock the actual discs to play on them...

Jan 19, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by Beagle
Yeah, now if only stores would stock the actual discs to play on them...

Better yet: if only all those record companies would get off their asses and start creating more sacd/dvd-a titles. They are slacking!

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back