Man of Steel Review
Jun 22, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #16 of 31
I'll just put this here:

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #17 of 31
Batman *is* more interesting than Superman - primarily because he doesn't have infinite power. Superman can do pretty much anything he wants - as long as their isn't any Kryptonite or red suns around. So, the only way to create drama in a Superman story is to exploit that single weakness or set-up a situation where Superman needs to be in more than one place at the same time - or, as is the case in MOST Superman stories - both of the above.

What the heck is the sense of putting two nearly invulnerable antagonists (Superman vs anyone else from Krypton) on the Earth at the same time? They beat on each other in ever-more increasing dramatic & destructive ways - but they do no actual damage to each other. It's pointless.

Then, suddenly, Superman *can* damage another Kryptonian with a Bruce Lee move. Hmm - OK...

Jun 23, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:
What the heck is the sense of putting two nearly invulnerable antagonists (Superman vs anyone else from Krypton) on the Earth at the same time? They beat on each other in ever-more increasing dramatic & destructive ways - but they do no actual damage to each other. It's pointless.

Yeah, but you see, it gives them so much leeway in CGI. Destroy anything you'd like to see destroyed!

I think next time they should hold a poll first. Ask the audience which buildings they'd like to see demolished and then have Superman and Kryptonians beat that poor building down to rubble.

Aug 3, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #19 of 31
What do you guys think of the Cinema Snob's review of Man of Steel?

http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/06/14/midnight-screening-man-of-steel.aspx

Oct 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #21 of 31
  What do you guys think of the Cinema Snob's review of Man of Steel?

http://thecinemasnob.com/2013/06/14/midnight-screening-man-of-steel.aspx

Just that.  Cinema snob.

Oct 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #22 of 31
Batman *is* more interesting than Superman - primarily because he doesn't have infinite power. Superman can do pretty much anything he wants - as long as their isn't any Kryptonite or red suns around. So, the only way to create drama in a Superman story is to exploit that single weakness or set-up a situation where Superman needs to be in more than one place at the same time - or, as is the case in MOST Superman stories - both of the above.

Then, suddenly, Superman *can* damage another Kryptonian with a Bruce Lee move. Hmm - OK...

But did you see Superman's hairy boobs? Those are beyond superhero, they should scale those back.

Oct 25, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #23 of 31
Gotta agree with the above poster about Batman. To me he's a much more realistic superhero. He doesn't own any supernatural powers, but instead relies on strength and training to fight his enemies. But of course, to each their own. I suppose being a 'super' hero, one naturally should have superpowers?

Oct 25, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #25 of 31
They are the same aren´t they?

But having someone immortal kind of remove any kind of tension in a fight. Take F1. Sebastian Vettel is Superman. He is untouchable. It make it all kind of booring when you can predict the outcome so easy.
Of course in the end Batman always win also but at least he looses some battles and get wounded and what not from less silly things like Green cryptonite which is an after thought when the maker of Superman realized his concept is heavilly flawed :wink:

That is part of the reason why it´s booring having two cryptonites play wrecking ball with eachother while it´s aaaw amazing in Gravity when the satellites get hit by the debree and you get these amazing fireworks. Kind of funny for all what they try in Man of Steel there is much better action in Gravity.

Oct 26, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #26 of 31
They are the same aren´t they?

But having someone immortal kind of remove any kind of tension in a fight. Take F1. Sebastian Vettel is Superman. He is untouchable. It make it all kind of booring when you can predict the outcome so easy.
Of course in the end Batman always win also but at least he looses some battles and get wounded and what not from less silly things like Green cryptonite which is an after thought when the maker of Superman realized his concept is heavilly flawed :wink:

That is part of the reason why it´s booring having two cryptonites play wrecking ball with eachother while it´s aaaw amazing in Gravity when the satellites get hit by the debree and you get these amazing fireworks. Kind of funny for all what they try in Man of Steel there is much better action in Gravity.

At the end of the day Batman is still human. That's what has kept the character interesting so far. He may be better at defending himself with the use of gadgets, but he's still vulnerable.
That said, we need to realize that Batman's enemies have classically been human.

Oct 26, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #27 of 31
I can't really say I was blown away by the visuals of Gravity compared to say-- Man of Steel or Star Trek Into Darkness.  Seeing detailed shots of Earth from space is very cool, but prior to the movie I've already seen stuff like that from youtube videos and articles.

Oct 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM Post #28 of 31
  I can't really say I was blown away by the visuals of Gravity compared to say-- Man of Steel or Star Trek Into Darkness.  Seeing detailed shots of Earth from space is very cool, but prior to the movie I've already seen stuff like that from youtube videos and articles.

Its not about the visuals per se. Obviously you've seen them before in documentaries.

What makes them special is that they're not real, but seem so real that they drew comparisons to real videos.

Compared to the previous benchmark of cinema, 2001, its a great leap forward. Some really creative and out of the box thinking went into creating those scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back