Man, I can hardly wait...
Jul 14, 2005 at 6:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Graz

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I had intended to return a certain pair of recently purchased ATH-EW9's <about which I have no further comment>...but the return turned into an exchange.

I'd never owned a pair of Grado/Alessandro, and the MS-2i's were in stock & available for demo. A brief listen intrigued me enough to give 'em a shot, but I knew even before I'd handed over the cash that these were destined for a trip to Larry at Headphile.

I ended up choosing the Zeta bowls and the Woody/Recable upgrade. I chose paduak for the wood & the cables will be 2-meter BlackMax. If everything goes according to plan, I should have 'em back in 10-12 days.

I did do some thread searching here before I clicked "Send" on the PayPal payment... I know Larry has a good reputation here, and I've no doubt that he does (and will do) quality work. But I guess I'm lookin' for some warm fuzzy here... I just dropped $419 on upgrades for a set of cans that I only paid about $245 for. Somebody please tell me I'm not too crazy here...

My logic <if you can call it that> & decision to go for it were based on the following:
- I like custom stuff
- From what I've read, the cable upgrade will make a significant difference.
- Comfort will increase exponentially & the ported feature allows for some interesting bass-tweakin' opportunities
- I'm unsure about the sonic impact of the woody upgrade (if any), but I think it looks pretty sweet, and as I said, I like custom stuff.
- quality, custom work performed by a reputable individual is worth the extra cost

Anyway, I gotta say I'm stoked...I can't wait to see/wear/hear 'em! I'll post some pics & impressions when they arrive.

Peace,

Graz

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 11
im looking forward to your impressions, i think thats a pretty maxxed out combo!
eek.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz
I just dropped $419 on upgrades for a set of cans that I only paid about $245 for. Somebody please tell me I'm not too crazy here...
Graz

Can't tell you you're not crazy! Did you not consider getting the RS-1?
orphsmile.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by h-man
Can't tell you you're not crazy! Did you not consider getting the RS-1?
orphsmile.gif

Oh, no doubt the thought crossed my mind... I've seen at least one comment that indicated a Headphile-recabled MS-2 hung pretty tough with an RS-1...I don't know how true that might be.

Also, If I'd gone with the RS-1, I would STILL have wanted some work done at Headphile (comfies & re-cable)...so this still represents a net savings for me.

Peace,

Graz

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #6 of 11
I assume you got your MS-2i's used for that price? If not, mind telling me where you got them?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 14, 2005 at 6:57 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
I assume you got your MS-2i's used for that price? If not, mind telling me where you got them?
smily_headphones1.gif

Not used... brand new at www.hifi.com.tw here in Taipei. Price shown on their website (which was the price I paid) is 7800 NT which equals just a shade under $245 USD.

Edit:
Here's a more direct link: http://www.hifi.com.tw/adm_product/a...txtBranuniq=18

Peace,

Graz

Jul 14, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #8 of 11
No, you're not crazy. I've read here that a few people feel -- albeit subjectively -- that the MS-2/MS-2i have "90%" the sound of the PS-1.

If one buys into that assumption, and the recable improves the sound even by 5% (and i've been told it's more than that), theoretically you could be close to the sound of the PS-1 for half the price.

Theoretically.

At least that's my hope. I can temporarily bear to separate with mine now that the e4's have landed, and am sending my cans to Larry next week for the BlackMax recable as well. Even if I don't get the PS-1 sound, I may come close and regardless my cans will still improve. I am equally stoked!

Jul 14, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the link, Graz. That's so much cheaper than the $299 at the official website; I wonder if that place ships to the U.S...

Jul 14, 2005 at 7:36 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure
Thanks for the link, Graz. That's so much cheaper than the $299 at the official website; I wonder if that place ships to the U.S...

I'm almost certain they do...send them an email. They can read & respond in English.

Peace,

Graz

Jul 15, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 11
Small correction to my initial post... I ended up going with the ported Zeta bowls. Anyone with experience & recomendations with the ported c-pads? Please share...

Peace,

Graz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back