Mamiya RB67
Oct 5, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed, my Canon G2 (now they're up to G9) has a flip-out, 360* tilt-able display, lots of fun, but in "true" perspective. On the other-hand, waist-level finders are x-axis inverted (are 'blads x & y inverted?) which in my case, forces my eye to concentrate on composition rather than subject-matter.
Score
Analog: 1, Digital: 0

I had completely forgotten that x<>y reversal! Mirror mirror on the wall...

The R1 LCD folds right into where the poro-prism would be on an SLR...makes it nice and convenient because there's nothing protruding behind the camera body.

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #47 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by badpenny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love shooting 120 film. The square format is so logical. The thing I still can't get over, is how much dynamic range film has (I usually use Illford B&W 120).

Okay, I'll go out on a limb here...my first foray into medium format has been my Holga. There, I said it. Yes, I'd love to have a Hassy, an RB67, or even the Contax. But I am having a ball with the Holga. I've hotrodded it a bit (I am obviously a card-carrying member of the DIY forum here) and have found that the complete absence of meter and fiddly things that my digital has make me think about the composition more than any other camera I've ever had. I laugh that a set of proof prints cost more than the camera itself. Still, an interesting tool, it is.

Neat thread.

/subscribed

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #48 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I'll go out on a limb here...my first foray into medium format has been my Holga. There, I said it. Yes, I'd love to have a Hassy, an RB67, or even the Contax. But I am having a ball with the Holga. I've hotrodded it a bit (I am obviously a card-carrying member of the DIY forum here) and have found that the complete absence of meter and fiddly things that my digital has make me think about the composition more than any other camera I've ever had. I laugh that a set of proof prints cost more than the camera itself. Still, an interesting tool, it is.

Neat thread.

/subscribed

I had no idea what the heck a Holga was, so I googled and this is what I found: http://www.argonauta.com/html/holga_cameras.htm

"I wondered about using a Holga for pinhole photography. Given the $15 cost of the camera, I would have no reservations about cutting them up to suit my purposes. So I ordered three from the Maine Photographic Workshops. The nice folks there even include a fat rubber band to keep the back from popping off unexpectedly."

Holga Pinhole Cameras

"Holgas have two outstanding features as pinhole cameras: they are as good as any Pentax 6x7 or Hasselblad fitted with a pinhole cap and they are dirt cheap medium format cameras with roll film advance (no cutting and changing sheets of film)."

I have always been fascinated with pin-hole photography, since my high school photo classes. It's like f256 as far as depth of field. A few years ago I was thinking of doing 16x20 Cibachrome pin-holes with a converted refrigerator box.

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #49 of 51
Oct 7, 2007 at 8:42 AM Post #50 of 51
The Pentax 120/220 format cameras are also an excellent choice, as is the Bronica range. Tried a Pentax 6x7 many decades ago. What a monster! Pictures with the standard lens were some of the best I have ever taken.

Nov 4, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #51 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DSC_1662sm.jpg

Man, film is so much more fun, especially medium format
smily_headphones1.gif

RB67;
First of all I'd like to congratulate you on landing the job, but there seems to be a minor detail in the way. You still need to graduate. So when can we expect an update to this picture? With you in the cap and gown.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronin74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting back to the OP.
RB67, you are the fourth 20-something that I've come across that has recently taken up medium format "film" photography. What's up??
Is there a retro-rennaisance brewing among you young-un?
In this age of instant gratification, 10 mega-pixals, photoshop, flickr, HP-uber-printers, why?

Also, I asked the above question wondering whether I was just being a Retro-sentimentalist or whether this film-thing had legs (was for real). Well I got the answer in spades. I came across this sub-forum on Flickr that posed the fill-in the blank statement "I like film because...". Quite an interesting read. There's also a thread titled: "Do analog photographers also like vinyl recordings?" but I'll leave the comments to that for another poster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back