male singer-songwriter suggestions?
Sep 24, 2003 at 6:00 AM Post #16 of 24
And how could I forget Elvis Costello?

Check out info on his new release here (NYTimes).

Sep 24, 2003 at 7:40 AM Post #17 of 24
I have been enjoying Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds of late. They have a "greatest hits" which might be a good place to start.

You may have heard Johnny Cash cover The Mercy Seat, which is one of Nick Cave's earlier, but greatest songs IMHO.

Sep 24, 2003 at 8:07 AM Post #18 of 24
Shuggie Otis - Amazing 70's California soul. He wrote "Strawberry Letter 23" among other wonderful songs.

Nick Drake - You listed him, but do you have "Bryter Layter"?

Tim Buckley - Already mentioned, but I'm just adding another recommendation for him. Buy "Happy/Sad."

Gram Parsons - GP/Grievous Angel, what a genius. Wow! If you like Johnny Cash or Wilco, you owe it to yourself to hear him.

Beck - "Mutations" is about as fine as albums get. This is nothing like his big radio hits "Loser" or "Where It's At," this is really a beautiful album.

Elliot Smith - His output is spotty, but worth checking out if you get into Badly Drawn Boy.

Billy Bragg - "Mermaid Avenue," which he did with Wilco, is a wonderful treat.

Sep 24, 2003 at 4:29 PM Post #19 of 24
Two names come to mind, both (loosely) in the Nick Drake mould: Tom McRae and Ed Harcourt. Both are worth checking out, even Ed, despite his occasionally asinine behaviour at gigs (as once recounted by a female friend of mine)..

- w

Sep 24, 2003 at 4:52 PM Post #20 of 24
Nils Lofgren-especially live albums like "Acoustic Live", "Nils Lofgren Band Live" and "New Lives". His newest studio CD "Break Away Angel" is also superb.

Bruce Springsteen-"Nebraska", "Ghost of Tom Joad", "The Rising", "Tunnel of Love"

Sep 24, 2003 at 6:08 PM Post #21 of 24
Pete Yorn - all I've heard is "Life on a Chain", but I have a friend who swears by him. I'll have to look into him more closely.

Paul Simon - Graceland is one of my favorite albums of all time. The rythm in it is just amazing. I guess I will try and branch out into his other albums, perhaps the one with "50 ways to leave your lover." Great song!

Jeff Buckley - I have Grace, but I can't say I listen to it much. I just get in there for the cover of Hallelujah and get right back out again. Such a heart-wrenching rendition!

Nick Cave - I have Greatest Hits, and I swear by it. My roommate is a big fan, and he says to get Murder Ballads, which I may well do. I'll definitely check out that Johnny Cash cover, as he is one of my favorites too.

Johnny Cash - Live at Folsom Prison is an amazing album, which I, regretably, have only on mp3. I've also heard San Quento (on vinyl, no less. Quite a treat).

Beck- Mutations - Another one of my favorites! And another I have only on mp3 (grrrr...)

Nick Drake- Bryter Layter - I have it but again, on mp3. That's enough to appreciate it, but not enough to really enjoy it. A good number of its songs are on Way to Blue, which I do have on CD. I would like to have the full album experience tho...

Dylan - I have Blood on the Tracks, which is fantastic, and Greatest Hits on LP, which makes me want to track down all the albums with all those songs on them (especially Mr. Tambourine Man!)

Some of my favorite music has been mentioned in this thread, which leads me to believe that the stuff I've never heard of (and there's plenty of that) will be perfect. I thank you all for your help.

Sep 26, 2003 at 1:53 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by Z-Tab
Gram Parsons - GP/Grievous Angel, what a genius. Wow! If you like Johnny Cash or Wilco, you owe it to yourself to hear him.

God, Yes!

How could I have missed GP. See my avatar. He is my musical (anti) hero and is a guy that just blows me away.

I suggest that everybody here should listen to these albums at least once:

International Submarine Band - Safe At Home
Byrds - Sweetheart Of the Rodeo
Flying Burrito Brothers - Gilded Palace of Sin
Flying Burrito Brothers - Burrito Deluxe
Gram Parsons - G. P.
Gram Parsons - Grevious Angel

The Gram Parsons sound can only bes described as a bittersweet mix of Bakersfield Country, Nashville Country, Gospel, Blues, Soul and Rock 'N' Roll and mixed together to provide an very seductive sound.

The albums G. P. and Grevious Angel contain some the first recordings of Emmylou Harris for those that didn't know.

Sound As Ever

Sep 26, 2003 at 2:15 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by truant truism
Nick Cave - I have Greatest Hits, and I swear by it. My roommate is a big fan, and he says to get Murder Ballads, which I may well do. I'll definitely check out that Johnny Cash cover, as he is one of my favorites too.

Murder Ballads is a little bit patchy, but certainly worthwhile, if only for their raucous 'interpretation' of the old standard, Stagger Lee.

Sep 26, 2003 at 7:25 PM Post #24 of 24
hey you beck fans, check out "sea change". it took a while but now i think it's a great album with some really lovely ballads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back