Male & female vocals combined?
Jan 5, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 10
I'm afraid I'm cringeing at all of this kind of stuff
frown.gif

The combination is tolerable in small doses - usually when female vocalists do back up vocals for male folk/rock singers. Sam Phillips has perfected the art of back-up vocals on many an album: you don't hear her screeching out the lead singer, but her back-up vocals create a new sonic dimension to the music:

The Wallflowers - Bringing the Horse Down
Jimmy Dale Gilmore - Braver Newer World
Bruce Cockburn - Nothing but a Burning Light (& Christmas)

Edith Frost does some tasteful work on the back up vocal department for the Willard Grant Conspiracy album Mojave, as well as on Joseph Arthur's albums, but nothing as characteristic as Sam Phillips. And Maria McKee does good on 'Sullivan Street' from 'Counting Crows' debut album, 'August and everything after'. Aimee Mann does a superb contribution on Murray Attaway's classic 'Under Jets' from 'In Thrall' but is way too short, delightful as it is.

Can't say I like this reverse combination of male vocalists on female lead albums. Most end up being croaky ol' men voices holding back the female vocalists. Can't think of any that aren't just a hinderance now. I'm not a fan of sopphy duets!

Jan 5, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #3 of 10
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

=P

Jan 5, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #9 of 10
If you like Damien and Lisa, you might like The Swell Season, which is the duo from the movie Once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back