Making your own tubes (AKA my personal hero)
Jan 28, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #2 of 12
It is a repost, yes. But what a great vid. I watched it all the way through and it felt like one minute.
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 12
That is one crazy french dude......lol, using the torch like that without eye protection....let alone all the crazy DIY devices he uses.

nuts.

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #4 of 12
Now that is tube-rolling.

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #5 of 12
One of my co-workers experimented with making tubes. He had lots of interesting things in his office during the experiments, and he'd show me his progress. For the envelope he experimented with old flourescent lamp tubes. Most of the parts were no problem, but he never solved the problems involved in getting the getter to work right. Now he's working on a transformer for a special resonant test device.

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sodacose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That makes two of us. I'm getting so desperate for tubes, I may have to start learning French.

Haha. If you are buying your tubes from The Tube Center, plan to wait another week so they can get another shipment in.

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:16 AM Post #9 of 12
There's a few good books for anyone thinking of doing this without spending a fortune.

Procedures in Experimental Physics, of which I found chapter 3 Techniques of High Vacuum online. This book shows you how to build all the equipment you need to build tubes or resurrect Frankenstein's monster.

Experimental Science online at google

Armature Winding and Motor Repair, which has a good bit of DIY info on metalwork, but mostly for coils.

Jan 29, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzy OneThree /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha. If you are buying your tubes from The Tube Center, plan to wait another week so they can get another shipment in.

I know. The anticipation is almost unbearable. I've actually been throwing out orders to a few other places, planning on ordering more than I need and putting in the FS forum for others. These have been a pain to track down.

Thanks for the link SiBurning! That could keep me busy for a while!

Jan 29, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #12 of 12
A sentence I like : He wasn't aware it was not possible, so he did it
smily_headphones1.gif

Very impressive, most of the tools seem hand-made, and the others look pretty old (point to point soldering, torch…).
I like those "mad scientist-like" guys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back