Making Video CDs
Feb 25, 2002 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Ross

500+ Head-Fier
Could someone please explain - in the simplest terms possible - how to turn a dowloaded video file from KaZaA into a VCD.

I have KaZaA and I have a new CD writer (an HP cd4E which I am just figuring out how to use) and a downloaded movie. I can get the file onto the CD-R, but not in a format that will play in my DVD player (which plays VCDs).

Help would be appreciated, and please remember to frame any explanation as if you were talking to a complete idiot.

Ross

Feb 25, 2002 at 12:52 PM Post #2 of 12
Hey Russ before i start let me say unless you really need to, DONT DO IT! It's tedious and takes a long long time. I converted one movie to experiment and id never ever do it ever again.

First you need to download the appropriate program to do the job. Do a search on google (i recommend
avi2vcd seems to be very stable and has a good readme.txt) .. there is plenty of software about.

For 1 CD(half a film ~200meg+ mpeg 3 compressed) you need to:

1. Convert Video to PCM raw format. (~5-10min)

2. Convert Audio to PCM raw format. (~5-10min)

3. Convert PCM raw format to VCD format.
This is the real kicker, it took 7 hours on a P3-750 using a software called avi2VCD.exe. During which any serious activity on the machine seems to make the final VCD stall.. i suggest you turn off screensaver before you start. Select a format NTSC/PAL (dont use film) that corresponds to the orignial movie's size/aspect ratio. This will reduce resampling and produce better quality. i wont get iinto the debate between NTSC/PAL here.

4. Burn vcd format to VCD (~20min, depending on your burner)
I used Roxio for this step.

good luck!

ps: i pm you.. that's how i saw this thread
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2002 at 3:47 PM Post #3 of 12
If you're looking to watch VCD's on your DVD player, this could be sort of a problem. Burned VCD's I hear are pretty hard to get working on a DVD player... but if you have the right DVD player and the right media working together, it should work fine.

Your best bet is to check out www.vcdhelp.com

It's a pretty comprehensive site regarding the subject at hand.

Feb 25, 2002 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 12
I pm'd you on how to do it the right way Ross, it doesn't take 7 hrs! Took me less than an hour. Taoster if you want some pointers drop me a pm, or an email.

Feb 26, 2002 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 12
I will, i'm working on it right now, actually i'm waiting for a video to be converted, so i'll post it later tonight...its gonna be long...

Feb 26, 2002 at 3:22 AM Post #8 of 12
Here you go:

First and foremost, you need the following programs:

1.Nero-I have version 5.5.7.2
2.Tmpeg-this can be downloaded for free from http://www.tmpgenc.net/

Step 1: Open up Nero, scroll down on the left side and choose ‘Video-CD’ then a small menu box will appear with tabs on the top.

Step 2: Choose Pal or NTSC from the ‘Video CD’ tab

Step 3: You can create a menu (check the Enable menu box under the Menu tab) and use a picture from your HD to act as the background, I tried it a few times, it seems a little glitchy, I still need to figure out some things with it, but it’s a nice option nonetheless.

Step 4: If you choose not to have a menu, click on the ‘New’ button the top right side.

Step 5: After hitting ‘New’ a box will blow up and fill the left side (Video X…mine says 2). This is where your video clips will be dragged. On the right side, you should see a box (File Browser) that displays your HD and the folders in that drive. Choose whichever folder the mpeg’s are located and drag them into the empty box on the left that has buttons stating: Track, Title, Duration, Pause and Size.

Step 6: An ‘Adding file’ box will pop up when you drag files over. If you DON’T get an error message, all is good! If you do get an error message you will have to convert that Mpeg or .avi/divx file. ****ALL AVI’S MUST BE CONVERTED TO MPEGS USING TMPEG ****

Step 7: Assuming you did not receive any error messages, double click on the title on the left and change the ‘Pause after Track’ under the ‘Attributes’ tab to (1) one second. This will only add one-second stops in between tracks. IF you decided to use a menu, you will have to shorten the name of the file (click on the ‘menu’ tab…if you decided not to use a menu, the ‘menu’ tab will not be shown), I just delete the name and leave it blank. I noticed that after 8 or so letters the filename got cut off. Also, under the ‘menu’ tab you can use a still picture from that Mpeg, this will be the thumbnail used on display when you pop the cdr in your player. If your done adding files, simply click on ‘File’ then ‘Write CD’ and click on ‘Write’ and off you go.

Some tips:

If you don’t convert the files that give you errors they might come out all screwed up, or Nero will attempt to convert them, which then could take more than an hour. Tmpeg takes about 45-50 mins to convert 700Mb’s (at least for me it did). If you use an option and notice some of the thumbnails are black or show static when you know your copy shouldn’t this is hinting that the file will come out corrupt.

Also, the menu screen on my Samsung seemed to be a bit glitchy. I burned one VCD that had 28 video clips on them. The DVD player would scroll thru the menu on its own and would not let me select any clips to watch. In this case, I just hit ‘stop’ and then punched in the chapter# like: 01 and was immediately taken to the first clip. From here I did not have any problems. Also, my player only fast-forwarded at 8X, I assume this is due to the CDRr and the fact that it’s a VCD.

Tmpeg does have a feature to let you split up a large Mpeg, I haven’t figured it out yet.

Alright onto Tmpeg:

The main screen should display a grey screen in the middle and at the bottom you should see multiple options. The ones that concern you are:

Video source, Output file name, Setting, and Load.

Step 1: To begin, hit ‘Browse’ for Video source and choose an Mpeg or Avi.

Step 2: Click ‘browse’ for Output file name and save the file as the whatever you wish, make sure not to overwrite your original file, so it might be a good idea to create a folder just for this project.

Step 3: Click on the ‘Setting’ button and click on the ‘Video’ tab, look all the way on the bottom, see ‘Motion search precision?’ I use ‘Normal’ so might as well go with that for now…I didn’t notice any difference between the VCD copy and the original on my HD.

Step 4: Then select ‘Load’ and the folder should open under X:/ program files/Tmpeg/template, choose ‘VideoCD (NTSC) for North America and VideoCD (PAL)

Step 5: Click on File/Save Project, it’s a .tpr file extension, save this in the same folder the converted (I will later refer to this as ‘fixed’) file will be going to. Let’s say you chose jenna.mpeg, it will appear as jenna.tpr.

Step 6: Then click on File/Batch Encode, click ‘Add’ and select the .tpr file extension you saved. Its original extension will appear again (ie. Mpeg or AVI). Then click ‘Run’ and you should start seeing each frame being scanned on your screen. Now, go eat dinner and take a shower….

Step 7: Now go back to Nero and go thru selecting Video CD, and drag the ‘fixed’ mpeg or Avi from your new folder over to be burned. Go ahead and start burning it (File/Write). I have an 8X SCSI burner and it takes 10 minutes roughly. I tried to be as thorough as possible. I went through the steps myself as I wrote this. If you have any questions, feel free to pm me, good luck!

Feb 26, 2002 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 12
Nice work, Gloco. That is very useful information. Thanks for this and for the pm also.

Ross

Feb 26, 2002 at 5:00 AM Post #10 of 12
Thanks Ross, if you get stuck just pm me, i got lost the first time around, afterwards its pretty easy. The most fun i have with it is creating a menu though, lol.

Feb 27, 2002 at 4:17 AM Post #11 of 12
i could never get the quality on VCD's to be acceptable, even when ripping dvd's and using all types of different encoders. anyone else find it hard to actually get vhs quality on a vcd?

Feb 27, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 12
Hmm, i don't know how to encode from VHS or DVD. But i do have many Mpegs that look VERY nice and actually just as good as VHS (usually the ones that were transferred from DVD to Mpeg/AVI).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back