Making the jump to P2P
Apr 26, 2007 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cgrums

100+ Head-Fier
So it's pretty evident I'm in this hobby for the duration (at least until I move somewhere with a garage and can build my next race car) and have had a lot of fun thus far.

I've made the traditional steps from CMOYs to PIMETAs to a couple Millett Hybrids and have just finished a DYNALO. I've been pondering what to get into next and am very intrigued by doing a higher end all-tube amp a la the Morgan Jones.

Now I've read all the discretionary warnings about dealing with potentially lethal voltages and feel comfortable in my ability to take all necessary precautions to not turn myself into a crispy critter.

My question is this: does anyone have any good resources for making the segue from pcb based amp building to P2P? Specifically I'm not sure how to begin translating a schematic on paper to something physical. Any resources at all would be much obliged.

Apr 26, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #2 of 8
51NHWTR9WWL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Building-Valve...dp/0750656956/

Apr 26, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #3 of 8
Thats exactly along the lines of what I was looking for. Thanks!!

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 8
Fast fuse on your power strip. Might also think about installing a ground fault circuit. Keep one hand in your pocket. Keep the screwdrivers and other metal tools away, or replace them with plastic or wood tools.

Shiny turret lugs and metal rails make for a gorgeous build, especially on nice dark hardwood.

Might want to keep one metal screwdriver nearby if you get... that frustrated urge to blow stuff up.
wink.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiBurning /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might want to keep one metal screwdriver nearby if you get... that frustrated urge to blow stuff up.
wink.gif

Here! Here! nothing like arcing white light followed by the spine chilling bang thundering away
3000smile.gif
..dB

Apr 27, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here! Here! nothing like arcing white light followed by the spine chilling bang thundering away
3000smile.gif
..dB

Clicky for video

Users who are viewing this thread

Back