Making Sense Of Audio Effect, Plug-ins etc...
Oct 22, 2015 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

enormo

New Head-Fier
I'm having a lot of trouble trying to figure out how to get Crossfeed and similar effects applied to my Google Play and other streams. I've look through threads but it's not only hard to find the current state of the art but it's also hard to build a mental model of how all the pieces fit together. Even sites that distribute the actual software don't really start with, "Hey, this is what our software does, and this is how it does it."

I think some sort of sticky primer would be good for the Computer Audio forum. I'm definitely not the ideal person to do it but as of right now, I may be the only person. I'm sure some of this is wrong but...

VST(Virtual Studio Technology) - A common standard used by applications/software to deal with audio signal processing.

VST enabled applications - Computer programs that leverage the VST standard and can typically accept VST plug-ins. E.g. Foobar - an audio organizer, converter, and player.

VST Plug-ins - Software modules that can be downloaded and "plugged into" applications that implement VST. The modules can provide prepackaged ways to manipulate sound. E.g. A crossfeed headphone plug-in (simulating a stereo speaker effect). For the plug-in effect to be heard, the audio must be playing through an open application with the plug-in installed.

DSP (Digital Signal Processor) - Converts a digital audio signal to an analog audio signal to be heard on headphones or speakers. Computers have dedicated hardware DSP chips. Software can also process digital signals. That software can be VST compatible or not and might apply the effect through a plug-in. The software might also act as a player, music library manager, format converter etc.

Audio Drivers - The software component of hardware DSPs and other computer audio hardware that tells the hardware how to behave and deliver an incoming signal to your speakers/headphones.

Audio Effect (e.g. Crossfeed) Scenarios On A Computer
1.) You have a stand alone player (e.g. Foobar) on your computer that can apply an effect. The audio must be played through that player for the effect to be heard. That player might have the effect baked into the software, meaning you don't need to download and install a separate plugin. Otherwise, your application will need to be VST compatible and you will need to find and install a compatible VST plug-in into that particular application to achieve it.

What are some resources and options out there now? How do they work?

2.) You are streaming music from a player that isn't a discreet stand alone player. E.g. Streaming music online through Google Play via a HTML browser. To implement an audio effect, you would need a plug-in for that specific browser. This plug-in is likely not a VST plug-in but rather a proprietary plug-in just for that browser. These sort of plug-ins are likely few and far between compared to VST plugins.

3.) You alter your computer's audio driver configuration to pipe ALL audio signals through a DSP. If that DSP is software, that application will need to be open (or running in the background.)

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #2 of 3
Virtual Audio Cable might interest you. It can create a virtual audio device that you choose as the default playback device in windows. All sound from your browser or other applications will feed into the virtual device. You then need another software which supports VST plugins to take the audio from that virtual cable, process it, and output to a real audio device through an ASIO driver. I have tried this myself in order to apply a parametric EQ VST to everything, using VSTHost to host the plugin. It didn't work as well as I had hoped and I decided it was not worth the extra effort.

DSP (Digital Signal Processor) - Converts a digital audio signal to an analog audio signal to be heard on headphones or speakers. Computers have dedicated hardware DSP chips. Software can also process digital signals. That software can be VST compatible or not and might apply the effect through a plug-in. The software might also act as a player, music library manager, format converter etc.

This is mostly a description of a DAC, not a DSP. Digital signal processing can be done in software or in a hardware chip. The output of a hardware DSP is still digital.

Oct 23, 2015 at 3:17 AM Post #3 of 3
ATM, the only reasonable ways to achieve (software based) system wide DSP on Windows are VAC + VST (as MindsMirror suggested) and EqualizerAPO.
If latter does not give features you need then the other method takes place. I'm using both methods because of APO features becomes bypassed by kernel mode drivers (ASIO, WASAPI Exclusive (Vista->) and WDM/KS (XP)).

VB-Audio's Voicemeeter Banana is an excellent software as VAC + more (parametric EQ, routings, multi device I/O, etc.) but, there is also this quite new DDMF VAS system which bundles all needed tools for VST based system wide DSP (excl. VST plug-ins which can be found through various sites as like through KVR database).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back