making scratched DVDs watchable
Jan 1, 2008 at 7:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Exit Pupil

100+ Head-Fier
mainly for second hand discs. anyone got any ideas on this? using some kind of home formula like some fine polishing compound or coating the scratches or something.
i would say my player is ok at reading moderately damaged disks. some won't read from the start, some freeze half way through which is infuriating.
i have quite a few discs which i could experiment on.

Jan 1, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 15
I've repeatedly seen brasso recommended. I've never seen it for sale here, but then again I've never looked for it specifically. I think it is brass polishing compound? Something similar would probably do. It's worth a websearch. Fixing scratched CDs

I've never used it before. It makes sense to use something slightly, but very finely, abrasive to polish the surface, and I assume this is how brasso works.

edit: yes the website i didn't bother reading before sending says brass polishing compound.
And stuff like toothpaste doesn't work for polishing it. Trying to fill scratches with creams and vaseline and things doesn't work well in my experience either - the concept being to try and match the refractive index, there are websites about it.

Jan 1, 2008 at 1:16 PM Post #4 of 15
I have successfully repaired dozens of audio CDs and DVDs using Brasso and then car wax. I just put a newspaper on the table, set the disc on it, and put a few drops of Brasso on the disc. Then I take a cotton ball and start rubbing the disc back and forth from the center to the outside. This often has to be done VERY HARD (like until your thumb hurts) to remove deeper scratches, and sometimes you have to rub across scratches as well. Depending on the severity of the scratches, this takes about 5-10 minutes, and it's important to finish the task by working in straight passes from the center of the disc to the outside (to counter any of the lateral buffing you may have had to do).

After the scratches have been removed, the disc surface won't look too great (i.e. rather milky). The Brasso residue will have dried off and needs to be wiped off with a very clean and soft rag, taking care not to introduce new scratches. I then apply a couple of drops (not more) of liquid car wax onto a new cotton ball and start buffing the disc with a lot of force, working on every part of the disc surface. This needs to be done until the wax has dried completely and the disc starts to look shiny and new. This process also takes me about 5 minutes or so.

Once all that's been done, I simply wipe the residue off the disc with another clean, soft cloth and the discs are like new. Honestly, you can't even tell they've ever been scratched.

Jan 1, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 15
I've used Brasso too, it's also great for DAP screens too. I use plastic polish to finish the job.

For CD's, DVD's, game discs,etc. I use a Skip Dr. Just 2 days ago I had to use it on a PS2 game that was on loan to my sons friend and it had obviously not been kept in the case...it looked like it was done for. After one minute in the Skip Dr. it worked fine. I think it costs around $30.

SkipDr.jpg

Jan 1, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've used Brasso too, it's also great for DAP screens too. I use plastic polish to finish the job.

For CD's, DVD's, game discs,etc. I use a Skip Dr. Just 2 days ago I had to use it on a PS2 game that was on loan to my sons friend and it had obviously not been kept in the case...it looked like it was done for. After one minute in the Skip Dr. it worked fine. I think it costs around $30.

[IMGhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/ambgid/SkipDr.jpg[/IMG]

I have a hand powered one of those but same company and probably same liquid, it works excellent for saving discs that are seemingly junk due to scratches

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicallySilent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a hand powered one of those but same company and probably same liquid, it works excellent for saving discs that are seemingly junk due to scratches

Yeah, I have the hand-crank version too but it's a PITA to use...I thought about using a portable drill and mod the handle to accept the drill chuck...lol. That thing is a workout for your hands, and mine makes a terrible squeaking noise...still got the job done though.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:11 AM Post #8 of 15
lol i remember being so stupid to believe that rubing toothpaste or a banana followed my a squirt of window cleaner would help clear scratches from cds. Crazy people on youtube -_-

Aug 1, 2008 at 5:03 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

SkipDr.jpg

How good is this, does the disk look new afterwards?

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cecala /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How good is this, does the disk look new afterwards?

No, the disk looks like crap, actually. But it works.

Aug 1, 2008 at 10:32 AM Post #11 of 15
Toothpaste is for taking out bigger scrathces, then you polish with brasso to take out the smaller scratches the tp made, then you can polish with Silvo to take out the even smaller scratches brasso makes.

I did it on a few discs, normal brasso is sufficient, however on mp3 players, black especially, the whole process finishes it up real good.

Aug 1, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by onyu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for some rental ps2 games, dvd's and secondhand cd's toothpaste did the trick for me

Yep. I was recommended this years ago and tried it and it worked on all 3 scratched "not playing" music cds. Very impressed. Something I would have never thought of lol.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #13 of 15
Another vote for toothpaste. It must be the paste though - do not use the gel kind. Works wonders. To finish it off, just polish with liquid car wax.

Aug 1, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both toothpaste and Brasso sound like great ideas, I shall try them on my Metallica - Black album cd, that refuses to play the 10th track.

I'd go with the Brasso for Metallica. Toothpaste for AOR.

o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back