Making of the Cyburg Sticks
Jun 30, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #16 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice set of speakers!
lambda.gif

Mucho graçias!

I'm going to make the filters, as well as a cheap speaker switchbox today. Filters will be in seperate boxes ofcourse. After that, I hope to finish them this week. I want to make the rear rounded (much like the B&W 800D), but not sure if I can source the bendable MDF that I need for it locally. I'm set on piano black for the color.

Also toying with the idea of making two small subwoofers for a bit more grunt in the lows. At the harder bass drum hits this speaker feels a little light.

Jun 30, 2007 at 11:58 AM Post #17 of 55
Thats a bit pricey...but I think the materials and such will be cheaper for me...

Jun 30, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #20 of 55
Filter is for Baffle step correction I believe.

Looks great how do they sound?

Best sound I have had in my house was a pair of pioneer
single drivers in a T line with 2 subs. Tube amps driving
the single drivers and the subs driven by a big old
SS brute. Took a bit to intergrte all the speakers but man
Sweet on top and kick ass bottom end when it did.

Makes me a bit sad that I live in an apartment now and
had to down size.

Jul 1, 2007 at 11:31 AM Post #22 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave_M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the filter for? There is no tweeter so I thought there was no need for a cross over
confused.gif

The filter is for correcting the response in the highs. There's a small peak without it, which can be seen here: http://www.iamrik.com/stick/Stick.pdf

Quote:

Originally Posted by JadeEast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Filter is for Baffle step correction I believe.

Looks great how do they sound?

Best sound I have had in my house was a pair of pioneer
single drivers in a T line with 2 subs. Tube amps driving
the single drivers and the subs driven by a big old
SS brute. Took a bit to intergrte all the speakers but man
Sweet on top and kick ass bottom end when it did.

Makes me a bit sad that I live in an apartment now and
had to down size.

They sound great! Very airy and exciting. They really throw the music into the room with a large soundstage. Lots and lots of detail and in a bit of a raw way. Electric guitars sound raw like they should. Overall I'm very happy with the results, and expect the sound to tighten up even more when I actually really finish them.

One thing though, having such a small driver, the bass isn't very overwhelming. They have plenty of 'oomph' but a bass drum hit will not shake the house. This isn't a problem for me as I'm not a bass head, but could be a problem for others. If I have the time and money for it in a couple months, I might make a small pair of subs. Afraid to mess up the single driver magic though.

Downsizing is the evil of all that is hifi.
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by zer061zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are those small speaker, the driver and info, looks like something for me though

They are small horns also based on the Tangband W4-655 driver. Here's the schematic:
http://img311.imageshack.us/my.php?image=w4hrn21og.gif

They sound really good with instruments such as guitars and piano's, but obviously lack in the bass department. Still very fine speakers for music that isn't heavy on bass.

Jul 1, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #23 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They are small horns also based on the Tangband W4-655 driver. Here's the schematic:
http://img311.imageshack.us/my.php?image=w4hrn21og.gif

They sound really good with instruments such as guitars and piano's, but obviously lack in the bass department. Still very fine speakers for music that isn't heavy on bass.

`
it seems like a lot of partition for a small bookshelf.

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #25 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by zer061zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
`
it seems like a lot of partition for a small bookshelf.

It is a fairly complicated design for such a small speaker, but hey, it's a horn.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lpe_91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can one find that building description pdf in english (or swedish ultimately) somewhere? I know a little german from school but not sufficient.

I haven't found an english one. What parts do you want translated? My german is sufficient to understand it, so I could translate it for you.

I just got done glueing them. Also made filter boxes, which will also act as a small stand to raise the speakers 10cm, to bring them to my perfect listening height. Made a simple two way speaker switch as well, for quick a/b-ing these to my other pairs. I expect to fill up the parts where needed with filler and sand that down tomorow. After that I'll finish the filters, and finish their enclosures. That done, and it's time for painting them. Can't wait to have them truly finished.
biggrin.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #26 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't found an english one. What parts do you want translated? My german is sufficient to understand it, so I could translate it for you.

No, you don't have to translate it, since I'm not planning to build these, It was just curiousity and for fun I wondered if there was any english one, it could be interesting to read through it.
wink.gif

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #27 of 55
Really awesome job! I have thought about building my own speakers since I can't afford (and don't require) a really hifi speaker setup, and these look great. I live in an apartment so thundering bass is not really an option. I would mostly be using these for movies and some music.

Again, great work and thanks for the inspiration!

Jul 2, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #28 of 55
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lpe_91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you don't have to translate it, since I'm not planning to build these, It was just curiousity and for fun I wondered if there was any english one, it could be interesting to read through it.
wink.gif

Ah ok. The document doesn't say much anyway, just some talk about filter options and relations to the Cyburg Stick. I wonder why there isn't an english one, since this design could be a very interesting one for beginning DIY-ers like myself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GendoIkari /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really awesome job! I have thought about building my own speakers since I can't afford (and don't require) a really hifi speaker setup, and these look great. I live in an apartment so thundering bass is not really an option. I would mostly be using these for movies and some music.

Again, great work and thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks a lot for the kind words, though I'm far, far from finished. I sanded the excess MDF down today, removed the screws, and used filler to fill up the holes. I'll sand the filler down tomorow. I'm taking my time with this as the piano finish will show any and all faults underneath. Also, I hope to start with the filters tomorow, as I have the enclosures for them now. I don't have the extra speaker terminals yet, so for now they'll be hardwired.

Most important goal is to have them playing like they will in the end this sunday because I'm hosting a meet. Want to have them blowing away silly headphone users.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:28 PM Post #29 of 55
13.jpg

14.jpg

Filled up the screw holes, sanded it down, sanded edges down a bit. Will need a second run of sanding before prepping for paint, but it'll do till this weekend. It's nice to finally have the enclosure as one whole compared to a couple of plates screwed together.
smily_headphones1.gif

The bass has tightened up considerably! As has the overall sound but it's definitely most noticable in the low frequency range. There's detail and timbre to the instruments that wasn't there before. Just goes to show how important a solid enclosure really is.

Jul 3, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #30 of 55
Hi,

nice build! I've got Cyburgs Needles and I like them A Lot. Mr. Cyburgs has a good taste in sound, I'll probably build the sticks sooner or later. Your Sticks are better built than my Needles btw
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's a thread in English about the Sticks:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=65375

Here's a thread about the Sticks' siblings, the Needles:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...threadid=47403

@digitalmind - There's three things you might want to consider:

* The Needles don't sound 100% right until you round out the baffle behind the driver, as the driver needs space to "breathe". The driver hole is small, and the basket and things take up a bit of space. The Needles use 3" drivers, this may not apply to the 4" drivers in the Sticks - but if it does, there's definitely an audible difference.

* The 3" driver in the Needle likes to be flush mounted. Has something to do with a frequency peak in the 6-12Khz region AFAIK. Again, this may not apply to the 4" driver, but I suspect it might.

* Rounding out the edges of the front baffle helps treble dispersion, AFAIK. At least it's supposed to help something
smily_headphones1.gif

If you have a router, all three are pretty easy to do. Check the Needle thread above if you'd like more info, there might be something in the Stick thread too.

I don't mean to be patronizing - it's just that if you're half way as perfectionistic as I am, you'll probably want to get the speaker as right as possible before painting it
smily_headphones1.gif

(Note that single-driver speakers are good candidates for experimenting with digital BSC - I like my Needles better with digital EQ to kill the frequency peaks than the analog circuit.)

btw: For less than half the price of my SR-325s and PIMETA, I built a pair of Needles and an Amp6. I prefer the sound of the speakers to that of the headphone rig, I can share it, and girls seem to like carpentry
smily_headphones1.gif
Makes you think ... !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back