Making my wired IEM's wireless
Nov 5, 2013 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

caruga

New Head-Fier
I don't know if such a thing exists, but I need:
1.  A pocket sized receiver and a transmitter that either connects to the audio jack of my pc, or connects via usb and appears as a new audio device.
2.  It converts and deconverts a digital signal at either end so as to not lose audio quality.
3.  It has decent battery life, at least 8 hrs, and can be docked at the pc to recharge.
4. (optional) Doesn't break the bank.

Basically I want to be able to walk away from my pc for a few minutes without having to go through the uncomfortable earbud extraction process.

Is there a device that fits my requirements?

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM Post #2 of 24
I don't know of such gadget.

Nov 5, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #3 of 24
Been browsing around.  Looks like bluetooth might do what I want?

Been thinking of putting a pci-e transmitter in my pc, then buying something like this.

And then just attach a female-female coupler.

I wonder if there's a better solution though.

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 24
I use the Jabra clipper. It enables your wired phones to be wireless. You can connect your favourite phones to it and it gives you remote functions.

Nov 6, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 24
  I use the Jabra clipper. It enables your wired phones to be wireless. You can connect your favourite phones to it and it gives you remote functions.

Thanks for that, will check it out.

Does anyone know if the bluetooth solution would have worked with the products I mentioned?  It occured to me that it would have to recognise an audio device on the pc end, and i've no idea if it would do that.

Nov 6, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 24
With Jabra. You just hold down the switch when you want to pair with any bluetooth device. i.e:- PC, tablet, mobile etc. for the first time. Plus with Jabra, I can connect to 2  devices at the same time. i.e:- PC and mobile. But there is a drop in audio quality.

Nov 7, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 24
Once the bluetooth is paired to a device, the audio is re-routed to the bluetooth audio device. I believe it's called the A2DP connection. Maybe you can read about it.

Nov 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #9 of 24
  Once the bluetooth is paired to a device, the audio is re-routed to the bluetooth audio device. I believe it's called the A2DP connection. Maybe you can read about it.

Thank you.

I'm surprised more people haven't wanted to do this or that the question isn't commonplace.  Guess people using IEM's at the PC is rare or something.

I still want to know if the specific device I linked would work, or if they can link me to a more suited device.  I do like the idea of being able to remotely change tracks etc (presumably works in a similar way to the hotkeys on a keyboard?  Wouldn't it need drivers?)  I don't want to get a headset with a connector for another headset, that would get messy.  Also one of the reviews for the Jabra said the headphone connector died after a few weeks!

Once again, I appreciate the advice, just feel i'm not quite getting the info I need yet.

Nov 22, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #10 of 24
Question for the OP, did you try this device? How did it work for you?
Can either of you comment on the performance?

I am looking to use my cans as wireless and so far this seems the only option, I'm just concerned about sound quality with such a device.

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 24
There is a noticeable drop in SQ and SPL.

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #13 of 24
I don't use them to listen to music anymore. Only for calls. I wish they update the technology to match the same SQ as 'wired'.....if that is possible.

Nov 27, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #14 of 24
Didn't realise this thread was still getting posts, must have missed the email notifications.

I actually ended up getting the 7dayshop audio receiver, a female-female audio jack coupler, some sticky back badge clips, and a bluetooth 4.0 usb dongle.

It works, but not well enough that it serves the function I was hoping for (being able to walk away from my computer without removing my IEM's).

The disappointments are as follows:

1.  White noise in the background (you don't hear it if music is playing).  I contacted the receiver manufacturer and they said it is most likely an issue with the audio jack header.  If that's the case then maybe it could also be the coupler.  But for all I know it could be none of these things.
2.  Very prone to losing connection.  Even just facing my back toward the pc whilst next to it, or covering the receiver with my arm, can break the connection (both the receiver and transmitter boast 20 meter range when 'without interference').  I certainly can't walk out of the room and hear anything.  When it reconnects, the audio is OUT OF SYNC.  I can pause the music and hear it stop a whole second later.  To fix the desync I have to disconnect and reconnect at the bluetooth stack settings in windows.  When I do that, some of the open apps 'lose' the audio device and I have to close and reopen the apps individually to get audio back.
*EDIT  3.  Despite boasting AVRCP support, you can only remote pause/play.  I was assuming the receiver supported changing track and volume but apparently not.

I am wondering if the disconnects are just due to a cheap shoddy transmitter.  Or maybe this is as good as it gets with bluetooth.  Not sure where to go from here.

Nov 27, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #15 of 24
I believe bluetooth has a range of 20-30M. With the Jabra, I can even use it downstairs when my source is upstairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back