Making my own plugfones (headphones that act and look like earplugs)
Dec 13, 2015 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Jalight27

New Head-Fier
Hello there. Was looking around to try to find somewhere to buy headphones that are just the speaker and the wire. Sorry if my lingo is terrible, I. Obviously no expert, lol. I wasn't sure if I was searching right, or maybe they just are hard to find, or who knows, maybe not even generally sold at all. I have been using the plugfones brand earplug headphones for a while now,and they're great for what I use them for.... Until they inevitably and much too often break. I have even gotten a few that either one ear was already out upon first listen, or that fizzled out spectacularly after a couple hours. Recently they raised the price and promised a new, better quality design. Unfortunately the only thing I've noticed ed is a higher price and new packaging. So now that my $35 headphones have broken again I'm fed up. They don't have great sound quality by any means, but since they are the KY game in town, as far as I know, they get away with charging ridiculously high prices for an extremely low quality product. So, that brings me to my post. I was interested in finding something that is small enough to fit into the headphone earbud, I've already tried, and have been able to easily make a hole for the one to travel through even the standard earplug, issue I've been having is finding a pair of headphones with a small enough speaker to get inside of said hole. So, if any of you fine people could help me out, that would be greatly, greatly appreciated. And again, I know, I sound like an idiot, lol. If I was unclear, of if you'd like anymore details, please ask. And thanks in advance!

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 4
Lunashops.com was a start for me.  But since then I found same quality for cheaper on ebay.

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=4435

These wires have been in use 24/7 for maybe 2 years now?

Pretty happy with them.  They're as flexible as the day I bought them.

Apr 23, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 4
The Zero Audio Carbo Tenore is probably the smallest cheapest one I can think of atm but it's not super durable either. For a little more they also make the B500 with a BA driver.

DOn't know brands but there are those "invisible" stage monitors you can get,similar to what security guards wear... you could probably find them at stores that sell security and novelty spy gear etc...

If you just want a driver to use with the cable fefrie linked, can always get a BA driver off a website like digikey or mouser and make one yourself, but probably wouldn't sound very good without a proper housing, etc... and knowing the right model to pick.

Haven't used but Etymotic make the HD Safety earphones. Etymotic stuff is usually pretty well made. Like the EtyKids (which might also do the trick for you) they have restricted volume to protect from using overly loud volumes in noisy environments.

Apr 23, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 4
The newer plugfones I'm a current user of.

I combine that with that wire I suggested, and comply tips.

The whole thing fits inside my ear, 24 hour comfort.

It took some soldering skills but the result is that I've had 2 years use with them.  The wire is higher quality, and last much longer.

The wires that the original came with harden, and develop shorts often in the split and in the earbuds.

The quality control is quite low, but since I now know how to rebuild them, I've made them better and now I can say they last about forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back