Making Denon AH-D7000 an 'A+' Performer. Add a Grace M902
Apr 5, 2009 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

paulchiu

Headphoneus Supremus
Probably the best Led Zeppelin IV I'd ever heard!

Denon AH-D7000 with a Grace M902B and Toslink Monsters Cables from
Macbook Pro reading Apple lossless of a Japanese SHM-CD pressing of Led Zeppelin's IV.

dde579a5c2a292e6fa90329dc717f8f8.jpg

paul

dt880smile.png
o2smile.gif

Apr 5, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 63
Looks like a grado plug and cable...

Apr 5, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #5 of 63
what would you say the sound signature of the M902 is? I've been curious to compare one to m Buffalo/B22 combo

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #6 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what would you say the sound signature of the M902 is? I've been curious to compare one to m Buffalo/B22 combo

In my experience, it's laid back and liquid. It pairs well with dynamic headphones but can be a total snore with something like an HD650. Never heard the other things you mentioned so I can't comment on them though.

For a very long time (and possibly still) jjcha swears by his m902 with the K1000. It's a very powerful amp, and definitely drives the K1000 reasonably well. As a DAC alone, I prefer the headroom DACs.

Apr 5, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #7 of 63
Off topic for a bit...

I sometimes see the Japanese version of CDs at my local hifi store, e.g. David Bowie, etc. Usually in a plastic sleeve thing like the Led IV you have pictured, not a jewel case... are they of better quality or something?

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #9 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtraNice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off topic for a bit...

I sometimes see the Japanese version of CDs at my local hifi store, e.g. David Bowie, etc. Usually in a plastic sleeve thing like the Led IV you have pictured, not a jewel case... are they of better quality or something?

I'm wondering the same thing too. What's the point?

Apr 5, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #11 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my experience, it's laid back and liquid. It pairs well with dynamic headphones but can be a total snore with something like an HD650. Never heard the other things you mentioned so I can't comment on them though.

For a very long time (and possibly still) jjcha swears by his m902 with the K1000. It's a very powerful amp, and definitely drives the K1000 reasonably well. As a DAC alone, I prefer the headroom DACs.

Yes, the Grace is laid back and liquid. It is also spacious. It is excellent at delineating complex passages and placing instruments in their own space.

I both agree and disagree with your comments on the Sennheiser, though my experience is with the HD600 (which I find less boring than HD650). Sometimes I think the HD600 is brilliant, sometimes boring. It can depend on music and mood. If its not working for me, changing amps doesn't make it better. Switching back and forth between the m902 and the Headroom Ultra Desktop (with stepped attenuator), the Headroom provides more color and dynamics at the expense of dimensionality and soundstage. I always prefer the Grace over the Headroom in direct comparison because the Grace actually gives the Sennheiser HD600 a believable soundstage. That doesn't happen very often.

I have read previous comments that the Grace fares poorly from its USB input and I found that to be true. However from the coaxial digital input it is fantastic. That's why my Headroom has been relegated to computer duty where it is excellent with USB input.

To boot, the Grace m902 is one of the best designed pieces of gear I have ever used. Ergonomics and build quality are awesome. The digital volume control is unequalled.

paulchiu, glad to hear you are enjoying the Grace and D7000! I would like to spend time with the D7000 sometime.

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #12 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
very nice
beerchug.gif

what else is plugged into the 902 there with your D7ks? and doesn't it affect the output quailty to have two things connected at once? (not saying it "has to" affect quality, some amps mind, some don't, I'm curious wrt the 902 only, and since you've apparently done it, own the equipment, etc, why not ask
redface.gif
)

the other is usually the grado gs1000i

8c31ff877663bda96db20e86e3b137ee.jpg

i listened very carefully for load effects and so far, have not heard any decrease in dynamics or levels when both the Denon and Grado were on.
i may tried to set up a decibel meter to measure later on.

the Grace has now continuously played apple lossless (m4a files) off my Macbook Pro for over 4 days at around that 58 to 65 volume level. the Grace can actually go over 99 to overtime areas for hard to drive cans.

both the Denon and Grado are really loud already at 65.

people walking outside my office can make out the songs the cans are playing.

paul

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by kelvinz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

it is not like my headroom max or the ultra desktop.
it is more closely matching that of a stax energizer of yore and in that way, a ton of information presented clearly. nothing cluttered. the Denon Ah-D7000 is already very accurate just with an iPod, improves with something like the Apogee Duet off firewire.
now with the Grace M902, the orchestra is even more detailed and with the xFeed, the stage is well defined. not necessarily out of my head, as i still have not had that experience ever with headphones. (includes my Stax Sigmas and the elusive Orpheus), it is nevertheless, out of my brain and almost some distance from my skull, still lingering at the tip of my nose and brushing my hair follicles.
to bring the comparison to something more 'now', i'd say like the musical fidelity x-can v8 tube amp, just with a lot more power.

listening to the original cast recoding from the Phantom of the Opera had me jumped with the scared voices coming from the back, side and elsewhere. it was the a terrific preformance from a stereo headphone without surround tricks. This from a recoding I have heard hundreds of times!

paul

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #14 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif

i have bought amps from tyll at headroom since the early 90's.
when i bought the Grado GS1000i recently, i already have the headroom ultra and max, so tyll recommendated the Grace. I had tried the Benchmark, but thought the amp was not at the level of the Max, so I went with the Grace to try. i am still within the 30 days period!

so far, so smooth.

paul

Apr 5, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #15 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtraNice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off topic for a bit...

if it's anywhere near $30, grab it ASAP!

these jap pressings rocks! so clear. it's almost like SACD without the thousands required for the player.
plays with any macbook redbook cd reader.
i got mine from one of amazon.com's other partners for around $28 with shipping. these usually goes upward to $45 each.
well worth it.

i have some 6 versions of LZ #4 and this one is the best.

paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Back