Making analog system less bright
Jan 27, 2004 at 3:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Theresamarie1

100+ Head-Fier
I've been upgrading my system and am wondering whether speaker cables will help reduce some of the brightness.
I'm using a B&K Pre-amp in bypass mode to a B&K St-140 amp. My turntabe is an HK T65C with a bluepoint high output MC cartridge. CD player is a Rotel RCD-970bx. I'm using Tara Labs Axiom and prime interconnects throughout. My speakers are Klipsch Forte and I'm just using stranded 10gauge monster ripcord for speaker cables.
Would some kind of higher tech speaker cable tone things down a bit or do I need to go elsewhere? My turntable, while detailed and airy, is pretty bright on upper register piano/flute music. The Rotel does a pretty good job smoothing things out. I recently went from a grado cartridge (which seemed to have some issues) to the bluepoint which is more detaled but brighter as well.

I also have the option, from a dealer friend of mine, to purchase some Audes Soul speakers for $700 with RSC 1000 cables. Anyone have any comments on the tonal character of the Audes? I've only heard them on his system from a Mac tube setup and they're very sweet driven from the Mac. But from My St-140 I wonder whether they'll be bright like the Klipsh's.

Jan 28, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #2 of 18
My experience with Tara Labs is that they have a warm sound. So I don't think you need to do anything with your cables.

Everytime I hear B&K in the store the system is rather bright so it might be the amplification. I imagine paired with the Klipsch's it is very bright.

I don't know anything about the Audes speakers but you might want to check out warmer sounding amps or some darker speakers.

Jan 28, 2004 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 18
I don't know a whole lot about analog, but you might want to try moving into a cartridge described as "warmer" or darker. I believe the Klipschs can tend to be a little bright. At 99 dB sensitivity, maybe you can try a tube amp on them? I don't think a simple speaker cable swap will help you in this instance but by all means give it a try.

Jan 28, 2004 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 18
The older Blue Points are hella bright.

Jan 28, 2004 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 18
Unfortunately most of your system seems to be on the bright side. I found the limited B&K gear I heard fairly bright. The Klipsch are definately on the etched side and the Sumiko Blue Point special are really bright to my ears especially if used with a transistor based phono amp. I think it will take more than a cable change to balance the whole system.

Jan 28, 2004 at 4:17 AM Post #6 of 18
Can you get a home demo of the cables or speakers? You'll never know for sure until it's in your system, in your listening environment.

Seems like cables can be used to subtly tweak things but an inherently bright system should be addressed as such.

What is your listening room like? Aren't there room treatments you can do? Throw rugs, tapestry on the walls? Speakers in and out from the walls? Toe in, toe out?

Just a thought.

Mitch

Jan 28, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #7 of 18
Well, you could let it watch television.
biggrin.gif

I think maybe those Klipsch Fortes may have to go. Klipsch sound started with cornerhorns, and most people find Klipsch sound pretty bright. That Bluepoint might also be better replaced with an Ortofon or Benz Micro. That might change the whole character of the system. Nothing else you list in your system is anything I see as a brightness problem (although I like a certain amount of "crunch"
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 29, 2004 at 10:58 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Canman
My experience with Tara Labs is that they have a warm sound. So I don't think you need to do anything with your cables.

Everytime I hear B&K in the store the system is rather bright so it might be the amplification. I imagine paired with the Klipsch's it is very bright.

I don't know anything about the Audes speakers but you might want to check out warmer sounding amps or some darker speakers.

Thanks Canman... hard to find anyone with much experience with the Audes.. I guess I'll just take a chance given the excellent price I'm getting.

Jan 29, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by jefemeister
I don't think a simple speaker cable swap will help you in this instance but by all means give it a try.

Thanks... I'm going to try the Audes with the rsc 1000 cables
I'll save the Klipsch for the home theater setup.

Jan 29, 2004 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
Can you get a home demo of the cables or speakers? You'll never know for sure until it's in your system, in your listening environment.

Seems like cables can be used to subtly tweak things but an inherently bright system should be addressed as such.

What is your listening room like? Aren't there room treatments you can do? Throw rugs, tapestry on the walls? Speakers in and out from the walls? Toe in, toe out?

Just a thought.

Mitch

At this point I've committed to the Audes so I'll be trying those and if they don't work out I'll have to sell them. I've played with the speaker placement as the horns can be a bit finicky.

Jan 29, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
Well, you could let it watch television.
biggrin.gif

I think maybe those Klipsch Fortes may have to go.

Old Pa,
You speak Blasphemy.. The Forte's were the first nice speakers I bought 15 years ago.. they'll probably be around with my sons after I'm planted. I'll probably keep using them in my home theater if the Audes work out. I'm not keen on replacing everything. I don't think it's the amp alone as the system sounds great with the rotel cd player and pre-amp in bypass.
I run the phono stage in bypass as well so I only use the first level of amplification.

Jan 29, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Daemoth
I suggest visiting the 2-channel forum at klipsch.com. http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/ . They'll know how to tame the brightness, though I suspect their first recommendation with be going tubes (if that B&K isn't).

Hi Daemoth, Thanks for the link and I've been there before. Most promising is the caulk wrap around the horn bodies to reduce ringing. I haven't decided to do that yet.

Jan 30, 2004 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Theresamarie1
I don't think it's the amp alone as the system sounds great with the rotel cd player and pre-amp in bypass.
I run the phono stage in bypass as well so I only use the first level of amplification.

At least you didn't accuse me of Heresy (or do you remember that old Klipsch model
biggrin.gif
)

Actually, I think you solved your own problem when you said that with the Rotel CDP the pre-amp.amp/speakers sounded fine; it's the bluepoint.

Jan 30, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Old Pa
At least you didn't accuse me of Heresy (or do you remember that old Klipsch model
biggrin.gif
)

Actually, I think you solved your own problem when you said that with the Rotel CDP the pre-amp.amp/speakers sounded fine; it's the bluepoint.

You're right... or it's a combination of the bluepoint and phono stage. The phono stage I'm using is a b&k built-in. I have told Todd I'd like to give his Grado a try. I've only had the blue point for a few days and on some records it's fantastic, especially at low levels because the fullness is there and details zing right out of the air. Cymbals and triangles have never sounded so good. When played louder, especially on heavy high register piano or flute it can be a drilling, but really clear also...

And of course I remember the Heresy (i wish I had made that connection...getting old I guess), Klipshorns, Belles, LaScallas, chorus (?). Klipsch have always been kind of a cult item amongst rock and rollers of which I grew up in the midst of the revolution.. (60s, 70s in Detroit). My brother has newer Klipsh reference speakers which are very very nice.

But now that my musical tastes have matured quite a bit, I like a mix of Jazz, classical, modern pop AND good ole rock and roll.

I have Klipsch, Snells and some paradigms and the Klipsch are still my best right now but the 15th of February, after I get back from the wilderness of Arizona and Utah, I'll be picking up some Audes Souls from a Audio-Dealer-going-into-Distributorship friend.

I can't wait for the new toys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back