Making an Etymotic P to S adapter cable
Mar 12, 2003 at 2:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BDA_ABAT

1000+ Head-Fier
Have not built cable before, but lost my Fixup P to S adapter. Seems like this should be a very straightforward thing to do. But, I'm wary of things that sound too easy to be true. Sounds like you would just connect two resistors to one terminator on a short extension cable, heat shrink, and be done. Is it really this basic? Anyone here try this???

If it really is this simple, could easily play around with different value resistors to find a sound that you prefer (a different cable for every mood???).

Would appreciate any advice that folks would offer!

Thanks!
Bruce

Mar 12, 2003 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 13
That is exactly what you do. The recommended value is around 70 ohms I believe. Good luck Bruce!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2003 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the info. I'm psyched!

Now, for this application, can I just run to Radio Shack and grab a couple 35 ohm metal film resistors and an extenstion cable and be done? Think it would be important to grab a bunch and just use the two that are the closest match?

Thanks!
Bruce

Mar 12, 2003 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 13
Mmmm.... noob questions continue...

Just checked Radio Shacks website. Looks like the closest they have are either 33 ohm or 47 ohm, 1/2 watt metal film resistors available in small quantities. Is the wattage important for this type of application? Or are these resistors unacceptable for this use?

Thanks!
Bruce

Mar 12, 2003 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 13
Bruce

PM me your address. When I get home from my trip Thursday, I will send you some 66.5 ohm, 1/8w Vishays.

Oct 8, 2003 at 11:39 AM Post #7 of 13
awake, old thread!

i would like to experiment with different resistor values for my ety's.

so..40ohm and 70ohm of high grade must be 1/8w ?
which type should they be?

the cable - which should i use?

connectors - any suggested type that proved to perform better then others?

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 22, 2003 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 13
I'm also interested in this. What cables and resistors have you all used?

Oct 23, 2003 at 1:38 AM Post #9 of 13
i hope to report soon of a cable made with old koss headphones cable (and i meen..30 years old!.. for some reason, i tend to believe it's good), monster tips, and Ricken Ohm 51 ohm, metal film 0.5w resistors. Ricken are very good resistors...considered to be both musical and smooth.

Oct 23, 2003 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 13
Look forward to hearing about your results.

Nov 22, 2003 at 11:05 AM Post #11 of 13
please...i need decent male & female "1/8 connectors, people..

Mar 22, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #12 of 13
Thanks for the info on this one guys. I'll attempt it myself but have a newbie question.

The two 70 ohm resistors are to go where exactly? My guess is that if there are left, right and earth wires, a resistor will go in series in each of the left and right wires? What I mean is the following:

Left channel solder point (male plug)----resistor---- LCSP (female)

And the same for the right channel male plug to female plug.

Am I close?

Thanks again,

TonyAAA

Mar 24, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #13 of 13
Okay, picked up two 68 ohm resistors (metal film 1%) and popped them into my headphone extension cable. Didn't cut the shielding just carefully unravelled the shielding, bent it out of the way, and cut the two wires. Taped down the shielding so it cannot short out the two wires and soldered in two resistors. Carefully insulated it all. Wrapped it in electrical tape, wired around the part that could be pulled apart if force was applied and taped it over again.

Voila, ety 4P to 4S... and the cost... well A$0.06 cents a resistor. Yep, thats right a total of twelve cents. Tragically, I bought four resistors and they rounded the price up to 25 cents. If I had thought about this I should have bought two resistors only and had the price rounded down to 10 cents... he, he, he.

Best part is no messy adaptors to plug in, its part of my extension cable.

Cheers,

TonyAAA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back