Making a system wireless - Bluetooth Receiver
Jan 26, 2017 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

snootles

Head-Fier
At the moment one of my setups is:

Spotify (extreme quality) on HTC M8 one > V90 Dac > Modded XCans V3 > HD650

Problem is, where I sit is out of reach of the iphone, so changing tracks etc is a pain.

I'm thinking about getting something like the Pro-Ject Box E Bluetooth Audio Receiver, plugging it into the dac using optical and streaming to it from the HTC which has APTX.

The question is, will there be a difference in SQ between wired and bluetooth?

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:05 AM Post #2 of 9
  At the moment one of my setups is:

Spotify (extreme quality) on HTC M8 one > V90 Dac > Modded XCans V3 > HD650

Problem is, where I sit is out of reach of the iphone, so changing tracks etc is a pain.

I'm thinking about getting something like the Pro-Ject Box E Bluetooth Audio Receiver, plugging it into the dac using optical and streaming to it from the HTC which has APTX.

The question is, will there be a difference in SQ between wired and bluetooth?

For the cost of that BT receiver you might as well get a $100 Android miniPC and set it up as a headless audio server with the HTC M8 as your interface, plus an external HDD hooked up to the miniPC.

You can use SPDIF optical out of the miniPC into the DAC and now you won't have to worry about whether there are any audible losses in the signal, while you won't have to deal with driver/OTG issues.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:02 AM Post #4 of 9
Thanks for your reply. Can you please explain how you would use the htc as an interface?

I can't find the old link I used to post but one easier way is to get an Intel NUC and install Daphile on it, which is already optimized from the get go to run headless.
https://www.daphile.com/#overview

The other method if for you to use an Android miniPC like the Minix Neo. You can look up how to set this up on a Raspberry Pi, which is essentially the same except for the hardware as the Pi tends to need some assembly.
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/05/23/review-raspberry-pi-2-as-music-streamer/

Jan 27, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 9
I have a Google Chromecast Audio and it works great for what you need. It connects to your Wireless network and plays Spotify, streaming from the Wi Fi. It doesn't have bluetooth, it streams from your wireless network. You use the smartphone just like a remote control, to change the songs in Spotify. Your setup would be like this: 

Chromecast Audio > Mini Toslink Optical Cable > V90 Dac > Modded XCans V3 > HD650  

Spotify (extreme quality) on HTC M8 one selecting Chromecast Audio as output and using the smartphone only as a remote control to Spotify. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #7 of 9
My setup is like this: 

Chromecast Audio > P2 to RCA cable > Little Dot Mark II tube amplifier > headphones 

And I use an iPhone 5c to play Spotify selecting the Chromecast Audio as output. It's a GREAT combo, the DAC chip inside the Chromecast Audio is pretty good, better than the one built in the iphone. So, this setup is wireless and it doesn't use bluetooth, which is good because many people say that bluetooth is inferior than Wi Fi for music streaming. 

Dec 31, 2020 at 5:07 AM Post #9 of 9
I also made the full in-depth written review about the Bluetooth Box E, if anyone is still looking forward for it :)

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...ject-bluetooth-box-e-receiver-dac-review.html

1609409257708.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back