making a short (3-5in) cable to reduce volume in left channel. Guidance/resistor values?
May 13, 2009 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tintin47

Headphoneus Supremus
I am leaving on a trip in a few days, but my IEMs seem to be imbalanced. The right channel is 4-5 dB quieter than left. My ears are normal. I just went to the doctor. Because of this, there is most likely a problem with the phones. That being said, I don't have time to ship the phones (Sleek Customs) to sleek and back for evaluation.

I am making a short cable to put a resistor into the left channel to reduce the volume 4-5 dB. The impedance of the sleeks is 50 ohms. What should the value of the resistor be? I will probably buy several and test them, but I need to know what range to look in. Also, I need a male and a female mini jack. Which company's jacks are the easiest to work with?

May 13, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 6
yes. since I expect this to be a temporary solution, I am planning on going

ipod/computer-->mini male plug-->short cable with resistor-->female mini plug for the phones to plug into.

May 13, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 6
if its THAT temporary...

why not just put a cheap radio shack potentiometer in-line with the left channel, instead of trying to find the perfect resistor? sure, it wont be much to look at, but spending hours calculating, soldering, listening, desoldering, repeat repeat repeate doesn't seem worth it, since youre going to get the IEMs fixed anyways

May 13, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #5 of 6
yeah. that doesn't seem like a bad plan, but I would rather not have an in line potentiometer, as it would be more bulky-- I still want to be able to carry this thing around in my pocket. Im not really worried about the "perfect" resistor. I don't mind 1 or 2 dB. It is just that 5 or 6 really starts getting to me.

May 13, 2009 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 6
I'd kludge something together with a pot, adjust it to the point where L and R sound balanced and then measure the pot and use that value for a resistor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back