Making a Reference CD - Decisions, Decisions
Nov 29, 2010 at 6:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

rroseperry

Headphoneus Supremus
I was PMing the organizer for the Bay Area Meet that's coming up in February and s/he suggested I put together a reference CD to listen to different equipment.  What should I be considering here (besides music that I know pretty well)? Lossy or  lossless or should I just make WAV versions of the music?

What sort of music?  I listen to about anything, but when it comes to a meet do I want dense layer cakes of music or spare stuff? A mix?

This is my first meet and I'd like to go in as well prepared as I can, given that I haven't got much gear and not really that much experience with high-end equipment.  I've tons of music listening expereince.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Nov 29, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #2 of 3
I recommend you fill the CD with music you know well, that is loud enough to cover the infernal noise in the meet room, and that, of course is well recorded...

If you plan to setup your own station, I also recommend you make a demo CD/playlist with well-known music of different genres so that fellow head-fiers without their reference CD can play some familiar music when they come to listen to your gear

Hope to see you at the meet

Dec 3, 2010 at 4:41 PM Post #3 of 3
I recommend you make a CD-R with a combination of your favorite songs and some well known reference songs.

If you don't have this album, get it asap.

That Chesky album has become the regular "go-to" demo disc for most people. It's very good IMHO.

I have various "DEMO" discs. I have one for every genre and one for male vocals and one for female vocals. My go-to disc has about 20 songs on it from various genres and I know all the music extremely well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back