Making a purchase for my new AD700s
Jul 16, 2009 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

JMT391

100+ Head-Fier
I just received my ATH-AD700s and am listening to them out of my current PC setup (sig). I am really considering the Xonar Essence STX for a sound card, being that it has a built in amp.

Are there any other good options in that price range? I was looking to spend slightly less than $200, but if the STX is truly worth it, I'll go for it. I was also looking at the ibasso D1, which I can't find the price of. A DAC/amp combo would be nice, since the AD700s dont justify a dedicated amp purchase.

Jul 16, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #2 of 7
i was going to get the essence stx too when i ordered my ath-ad700s. it was between that and the auzentech forte, which was on sale on ncix for $110 (and still is on this weeks sale)..

i went with the forte, as it was around $80 cheaper, and im just getting into the whole world of higher end sound, so i dont think i would notice a big difference now.

from what i know, the fortes better for gaming, and the essence is better for music and such... but the forte is by no means bad or anything, just not as awesome i guess. its a very good all rounder.

i got my forte in today, and its installed. its smaller, which is nice. i dont have my ad700s in yet, so i cant say anything on the sound. the speakers im have now (need to upgrade sometime) are old, so they dont do it any jusitce lol.

Jul 17, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 7
you could get a emu 0404 and save up for a good preamp like an M^3 or millet minimax

the forte is another good alternative, but its really built for headphone gaming (x-fi chip gives real eax support rather than emulated xonar eax)

overall id say go with the stx, or st if you want to wait or find use for the pci

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 7
strobeshow - let me know how you like the forte (you can PM me when the cans come in). I recently got into the world of hi-fi as well, and I will be gaming so that could be an option for me. The reason I am considering the STX so heavily is because of the amplifier. Music is also my main priority.

e6600 - I don't think that making a huge separates system will benefit the AD700s too much, and the PCI-E may work better for a futureproof approach (I think they're trying to do away with PCI)

Does anyone have any opinions on the ibasso D1 for my purposes? Only thing holding me back from this is that they do not have any type of 3D sound effects for gaming.

Jul 17, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 7
X-Fi 3D sound along with EAX5.0 is somewhat overrated in my opinion, even I have an X-Fi atm I don't use it at all for gaming. If price isn't the issue, and music is what you aim for, STX or ST is what you are looking for (I had one for awhile), not to mention STX has their own 3D sound as well.

Jul 18, 2009 at 4:32 PM Post #6 of 7
What did you think of the STX/why did you get rid of it in favor of an X-fi?

I see you're a Senn guy, is it because you wanted a dedicated amp like your D10 to power them?

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi JMT391,

I got ride of my 1 week old STX due to the new release of ST, also I do not like my sound card next to my video card. Otherwise I would have kept it.

D10 is actually for my Macbook, I am using that for now until ST release in Canada. But yes, ST will be my main and dedicated amp for my HD600.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back