Making a iPod Touch 4G sound better?
Dec 2, 2011 at 11:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

dwinnert

100+ Head-Fier
I got an iPod Touch 4G 64gb as a thank you from a client today.....so what can I do other then Ebay'ing it to make it sound better?.......Looking to make a project out of it.....money is not an issue.

I am all about stationary equipment, so portable is all new to me.....

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #2 of 35
The Fostex HP-P1 or CLAS will make desktop type performance out of it and if pair with highend IEMs then there willbe huge enough difference in soundquality than iPod Touch alone.

Dec 3, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #4 of 35
Get flacplayer app and use only FLAC encoded tracks on it .......with great headphones or IEMs too of course.

equalizer app is good too.

Dec 3, 2011 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 35
Just enjoy it.  The Touch G4 has a pretty decent DAC chip, and sounds good as a portable.  If you want to avoid the in-built amp, get a LOD (line out device/dock), and a small portable amp - either the Fiio E11 or a Cmoy are good starters.  You can go a lot higher up the chain depending on budget.

Use higher bit-rate MP3 or AAC files (don't worry about lossless - unless you've got 'golden ears', most people find very little difference between a 256aac / 320mp3 file and lossless on a portable).  If you're uncertain. set-up foobar with the ABX comparator, and test yourself.  Almost all of the time I cannot tell the difference between well recorded 256aac and well recorded ALAC.  Best to know yourself - and then you've got a lot more space available for music.

Get the equalizer or equ app (they are both cheap).  The equalisers on both apps are miles better than the native Apple ones.

You haven't listed your cans - so it's hard to say whether an upgrade would help.

FWIW - my portable / tranportable set-up consists of:

Ultraportable = Touch G4/IP4 (I have both) -> Brainwavz B2 (straight from the headphone out)
Portable = Touch G4/IP4 -> LOD -> E11 -> MS1i (woodied)
Transportable = Touch G4/IP4 -> LOD -> PortaTube -> HD600

Ignore the people who say the G4 / IP4 have crap quality. I've owned Cowons and my current G4 Apples - and IMO they are pretty much on par.

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #6 of 35

Quote:
Just enjoy it.  The Touch G4 has a pretty decent DAC chip, and sounds good as a portable.  If you want to avoid the in-built amp, get a LOD (line out device/dock), and a small portable amp - either the Fiio E11 or a Cmoy are good starters.  You can go a lot higher up the chain depending on budget.

Use higher bit-rate MP3 or AAC files (don't worry about lossless - unless you've got 'golden ears', most people find very little difference between a 256aac / 320mp3 file and lossless on a portable).  If you're uncertain. set-up foobar with the ABX comparator, and test yourself.  Almost all of the time I cannot tell the difference between well recorded 256aac and well recorded ALAC.  Best to know yourself - and then you've got a lot more space available for music.

Get the equalizer or equ app (they are both cheap).  The equalisers on both apps are miles better than the native Apple ones.

You haven't listed your cans - so it's hard to say whether an upgrade would help.

FWIW - my portable / tranportable set-up consists of:

Ultraportable = Touch G4/IP4 (I have both) -> Brainwavz B2 (straight from the headphone out)
Portable = Touch G4/IP4 -> LOD -> E11 -> MS1i (woodied)
Transportable = Touch G4/IP4 -> LOD -> PortaTube -> HD600

Ignore the people who say the G4 / IP4 have crap quality. I've owned Cowons and my current G4 Apples - and IMO they are pretty much on par.

Do these EQ apps work with all audio? Seems like they only add EQ to audio they can play and not adjust streaming audio like MOG. I have a collection of MP3's, FLAC's and stream through MOG.

Thanks

Dec 3, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 35

There is no reason to run FLAC as ALAC is Loseless and there is no difference in sound quality. Only reason to run flac is ify ou have other players that use flac and you dont want to have two different file formats.
Quote:
Get flacplayer app and use only FLAC encoded tracks on it .......with great headphones or IEMs too of course.

equalizer app is good too.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #8 of 35

Quote:
There is no reason to run FLAC as ALAC is Loseless and there is no difference in sound quality. Only reason to run flac is ify ou have other players that use flac and you dont want to have two different file formats.

All of my lossless audio is in FLAC....

Dec 3, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #10 of 35

Quote:

Do these EQ apps work with all audio? Seems like they only add EQ to audio they can play and not adjust streaming audio like MOG. I have a collection of MP3's, FLAC's and stream through MOG.

Thanks

That's a good question.  I guess not - because it requires a playlist.  I haven't tried, as I don't stream.

Dec 3, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #11 of 35

Quote:
converting flac to alac is a snap with XLD if you are using os x. 

if you have a windows machine, you have way more options.

But I see no reason to convert my FLAC's to ALAC, since I can play FLAC's just fine on the iPod, my 2011 Mac mini and PC's.....

Dec 3, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #12 of 35
Try lot of top-tier earphones and feel happy.
More than one set.
Vsonic R07, Sony EX600, Etymotic er4p, Shure 535, Westone 4, etc.
I was loving my iPT4G.

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #13 of 35

Quote:
All of my lossless audio is in FLAC....

I have tried ALAC (iPods inbuilt player) and FLAC (using flacplayer app), FLAC sounds much better, deeper to my ears.
I did try with around 20 songs, switching back and forth.

I stopped using my three portable amps and LODs after I started using flacplayer app.

I used to recommend equalizer and EQu apps when I had mp3s of various quality, now I just recommend flacplayer.

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #14 of 35

Quote:
But I see no reason to convert my FLAC's to ALAC, since I can play FLAC's just fine on the iPod, my 2011 Mac mini and PC's.....

????

iPods Don`t support FLAC .........unless you have rock boxed your iPod..... or are already using flacplayer app.

Dec 3, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #15 of 35

Quote:
????

iPods Don`t support FLAC .........unless you have rock boxed your iPod..... or are already using flacplayer app.

Using flacplayer......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back