Making a DACing decision :)
Apr 30, 2012 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

heavyecho

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I had posted on another part of the forum to try and gain some suggestions for a good AMP/DAC combination that I could utilize with my computer - and I was able to get several great suggestions and I have narrowed choices down.  I am just trying to get a little more feedback before I pull the trigger.  Originally, I had wanted to spend $500 for both a DAC & Amp - however, I have come to realize that it will likely cost much more...I am focusing mostly on the DAC right now and I would like to see which choice would be best.  Musical taste is split between rock and rap (weird, I know...) so we are looking for a good middle ground!

Contenders:
Cambridge DACMagic
Maverick D1
Yulong D100
Little Dot DAC II

If you have any other suggestions please feel free to add them!

Thank you in advance. :)

May 1, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #3 of 8
Peachtree DacIt may be a little pricey for your budget but is an excellent DAC. Good reviews in Stereophile and Computer Audiophile. I bought mine a few months ago and am enjoying it. Another DAC worth looking at is the Rega or the Schiit Bifrost. Happy hunting!

May 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the feedback folks!

I am going to conitnue (with this new information) to do some more research.

Also, I would ultimately be pairing this DAC with a set of Sennheiser HD 650's.  Just to give other folks some more information.

Thanks again!

May 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #5 of 8
If you can stretch your budget to afford the Audiolab M-DAC that would be my suggestion. It's one heck of an all-in-one unit, utilizes the ESS 9018 DAC, has multiple inputs, balanced & single ended outputs, a very good built in headphone amp plus a pretty much full function remote.

I had been using a couple of very nice vintage receivers with my LCD-2's but have found I actually prefer M-DAC's own internal amp. I don't think the amp is the be all end all of amps, but it definitely is not an afterthought/throw-in.

May 3, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
If you can stretch your budget to afford the Audiolab M-DAC that would be my suggestion. It's one heck of an all-in-one unit, utilizes the ESS 9018 DAC, has multiple inputs, balanced & single ended outputs, a very good built in headphone amp plus a pretty much full function remote.

I had been using a couple of very nice vintage receivers with my LCD-2's but have found I actually prefer M-DAC's own internal amp. I don't think the amp is the be all end all of amps, but it definitely is not an afterthought/throw-in.

A bit off-topic,

but glad you are liking the LCD2's with the MDAC. Mines on pre-order hopefully i get it in the next month... Cant wait to try it out! from the same designer as the Cambridge DAC Magic if you didnt know. He also provides support right in the MDAC thread over at Pink Fish Media Forums.

May 14, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 8
The Nuforce HDP smokes the DACmagic. The RCA output from the DACMagic into any amp sounds noticeably worse which is a little sad for me since Cambridge is an awesome company.

I used to have a Schiit Bifrost + Lyr setup for my Hifiman HE-500 and HE-5LE, sold the HE-5LE, then I've always had the HDP which is a wonderful little source, it's punchier than most sources, not being truly neutral, but also not ruining your music by giving it a sort of EQ.

Right now I'm using it with a pair of LCD-2's

I went from this:

To this:

It wasn't because I was having money problems, I was trying to get the same quality of audio for less money just because thats just how I have fun. Overall you'd be hard pressed to do better for under $500. I mean you can order an NFB-12 which a couple people said was a little better, but in my opinion, I prefer to stick to an American made product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back