Make Your Own Shure and UM2 Foamies!
Jun 10, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #121 of 123
I just made a pair before reading this thread, and I must say, it's quite a PITA when you don't have a hole punch. I ended up twisting a skinny nail through the whole thing, then slowly making the hole larger and larger. Then I used hex wrenches to make it larger and finally a pocket knife to cut it to size and to shave out more foam. Overall, I've got mixed feelings about them; for 1, sq seems less but the comfort is much higher. I think I have some more experimenting with my $2 worth of foam earplugs.

Jun 10, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #122 of 123
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFNDeal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HAs anyone tried with the super.fi 3 Studio IEM's? I saw a few posts that talked about the SF5's, are the 3's the same? I am eager to work on this. I am trying to budget for a portable rig upgrade and this mod might let me keep my IEMs and use the money for the headphone upgrade towards a dap.

I made some for the Super.fi 3 hoping they'd make the Super.fi wearable for me. Unfortunately, I still couldn't stand the Super.fis in my ears. But the home made tips were as good as the ones you can buy, if not better.

Jun 12, 2007 at 2:30 AM Post #123 of 123
Well I made my own foamies today, using green earplugs I bought in a 60 pack at home depot. I had to cut them to size, it took me three sets to finally get it right. I used an exacto knife to cut a hole in the foam, being careful not to crush the foam, then I pushed the foam center out using a disassembled ball point pen. I then used the cleaning tool to carefully and gently squeeze the plastic center of the old foamies into the new foamies. Lastly I pushed the foamies onto the earphones and assured the opening on the outher side was clear again using the cleaning tool. I'll post some pics tonight. They sound just as good and are way more secure than the plastic tips.

Foam3.JPG

Foam4.JPG

Sorry for the slight blur, but I suck at photography. (<--
confused.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back