Make you own headphones
Feb 3, 2002 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 5
sounds a bit too simplistic to me. it'll probably work but, thats all.

setmenu's project is very interesting tho, also because he's using a technology not often seen with headphones, or speakers for that matter.

Feb 3, 2002 at 8:21 PM Post #3 of 5
That's quite interesting and it doesn't sound too hard.

However, have you ever seen speakers (headphones too) powered by a laser? Well I have and I had the chance to play with it (helped building it). It was a very simple device but with unlimited possibilities.

This is how its made, first you find a radio (or any device has audio output) and then get a laser modulator from radio shack and last you need some solar panels.

What you have to do is connect the input of the laser modulator to the output of the audio device (line out or headphone). Then the laser modulator will translate this analog singal into digital pulses and emits it as laser pulses. Then you need to setup a line-of-sight with laser modulator to the solar panels and from the solar panels you have to connect it to the your simple home made speaker or headphone so the signal can be reproduced.

There you have it, your own signal transmitter. Depending on the strength of your laser modulator, the signal will travel a good serveral hundred yards. (try using that to send signals from one apartment building to another, although trying to setup the line-of-sight might be impossible).
smily_headphones1.gif

But remember, you can send more than just radio signals with this device with a little more modifications. Isn't it amazing to know that something that sounds so complicated can be made so easily.
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2002 at 9:37 PM Post #4 of 5
i'd think it's a hell of a lot more complicated to make a good transducer. back in my high school speaker building class, my teacher made a demonstration transducer like the one in the link, and needless to say it sounded like crap.

Feb 4, 2002 at 12:24 PM Post #5 of 5
Yeah I bet they would sound interesting with that large circular
cavitity.
Good for demonstrating the principles involved though.

smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back