Make sure you don't have anything important for the next 17 mins!
Apr 26, 2009 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Evshrug

Headphoneus Supremus
Here's a gentleman crafting his own tube amps.

Yes, he's french, yes, he works in his sport coat, and yes, I want to be like him. I don't think you'd buy all that equipment on just a hobby lark, but I still think this is what DIYers want to grow up to be, lol.

Now I can't assume this fella is retired, but let's assume for a second that this is just something he does to fill the time. Some of these techniques are very advanced, but he has the sort of expertise that makes it all look easy. Looking into my future, I'm a bit doubtful that I'll make the time to learn how to be so handy. Most of my experience will be plugging away inside other's applications, and I have a fear that I'll spend my retirement much like I spend my freetime now: researching blah blah on the internet and playing videogames.

Spending my time in front of a screen as opposed to a flame or machines wouldn't bother me so much, if only I felt like I was CREATING something, rather than living inside the worlds that others have made for me. That's why I'm really stretching myself to be a graphic design major. I'm an atypical Fine Arts major, if I do say so myself; I don't doodle for fun, I'm not especially gifted, and I tend to let analysis get in the way of being emotionally in sync with what I'm working on. However, what I do have is a strong value in pulling something from the void, a new idea or vision wouldn't occur to most people. I also tend to get obsessive with my interests. So do I want to be better than other people? Yes. Do I do it in the spirit of giving back? Yes!

If you look for opportunities in exploring possibilities, post a comment!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back