Make reasonable setup from junk [help]
Mar 31, 2010 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mantrox

New Head-Fier
Hi there,
i am new to these forums, and so far i enjoyed it very much.
Within the sub-forums categories i wasn't shure where to post this but since it is my first thread on head-fi, i hope u guys can point me to the right direction.

What i need to know/discuss is, what is the best setup i can get with the components i have, so i can get the best possible listening experience.

Here's a list of the components(junk=/) i have:

- Sennheiser HD555
- Grado sr60i
- Technics SA-EX320 (A/V amp)
- Turnatble from a AIWA MX Z7100M
- Creative X-Mod (please don't kick me >.<) bought it years ago..

I tend to listen to either vynil or FLAC on my pc (Foobar WASAPI).

Thank you for your time, and pardon my english, as i am from portugal.

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #2 of 5
Hi, welcome to Head-Fi - a place loved by my credit card lender
tongue_smile.gif

a couple of observations: first, I wouldn't quite use the term "junk" to describe your gear: a) it's not junk at all (ok maybe the AIWA's - doh!), b) people with similar gear may be offended.
second, without knowing your budget, and what you want to do is difficult to recommend anything.

regardless here it goes: if you like vynil I'd consider this as a real good entry level system.

PROJECT DEBUT III TURNTABLE

MARANTZ PM5003 AMPLIFIER

Paradigm Atom v.6 Monitor

worth spending money on. anything less and you'll be wasting money (imo). note: I'm merely recommending these gear based on magazines "expert reviews".

as for your HP's upgrading your PC soundcard could be a good thing. or maybe a DAC/Amp combo. lots of options. best read, and read...

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lenni /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Snip

My current budget is low, im thinking of spending like 200euros max per month on gear, and your sugestions fit right in!
Really apreciate the input. thank you sir.

On a side note, if u guys had the stuff i have would you guys use any of it? setup wise? or just discard the hardware and plug the headphones to the pc? Is the A/V amp useless?

Thank you again!
[EDIT]
Btw, i didnt mention i had some speakers:
- A pair of Technics SB-LV500 plus center speaker and 2 for surround.
Basicly a technics 5.0 set.
- Yamaha YST-SW030 active sub.

This system gives me a sensation of mushyness when it comes to playing music. Its just not taylored for the job =/. Thats why i tend to turn to my senn's

[EDIT]

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #4 of 5
Hey that's not junk, it's a starting point!

A Rega or Project turntable would be a decent step and is a reasonably small investment. Keep your amp and headphones for now, and look for a good way to get your FLAC files out of your PC... a USB DAC perhaps?

Upgrade your amp and speakers when you have gathered some money together. The Cambridge Audio, Rotel and Creek brands represent good value for money.

Apr 3, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by JB197 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snip.

Thank you very much for your input!

I was thinking of the DAC option but as i haven't had experience with any, and i dont know any good audio stores around, i didnt dug too deep into the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back