make iPhone 3Gs sound as good as Sony Walkman®
Aug 4, 2010 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hjteq

New Head-Fier
Hey peeps
My problem is that I tried the darn thing (Sony Walkman) now all I want is to make my existing portable (iPhone 3Gs) rig sound as good. At the time I had Shure SE530 those are gone and I am replacing them (likely with SE535). 

my question is whether I should get an portable amp/LOD or just replace the source with a Sony or an SFLO.
Opinions? Options?

Thank you

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 7
I've found the SQ from the 3GS headphone out to be substandard on both phones that I've had (first one was stolen). I tried the FiiO E1 amp and it did help the SQ quite a bit, but it's just another thing in my pocket (even if shortened), so I unloaded it. I wouldn't waste $ on a 'real' amp for the iPhone as it would no longer be portable.

At the moment, I carry the iPhone as a phone/internet device and use a Sansa Clip+ for listening to tunes. I find the Clip+ headphone out to be far more to my liking with my headphones (RE0, KSC75). The Clip+ EQ helps to correct for some (but not all) inadequacies of these headphones, particularly for the KSC. The EQ on the iPhone is useless.

I'm thinking about canceling my ATT contract and selling the 3GS. And then get another, smaller phone for calls/texting and stick with the Clip for music. Having the internet in my pocket isn't as useful as I thought it would be anyway...

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 7
i use the a828 and like it. the "clearbass" makes a big difference to my RE0s and RE-zeros
the x series also gets good reviews on this site.
if you have the a82- or a72 series you can access the service menu and tweak the DAC treble and bass to suit your tastes.
ksc75smile.gif

i own a mac, but use "mediamonkey" in parallels to sync my library.

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 7
nice mediamonkey... I didn't know that. I have bootcamp and win7 64 so I don't know of many other (iPod/iPhone/iTouch on mac) portable media players that would work with my system... though truth be told I know just begun my search into improving my portable music.

I did read here that the RE"O" need to be amped to sound their best, even out of the x1060

Also, where can you get the A82 or A72? 

Aug 5, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #7 of 7
I find the walkmans power them easily and "clearbass" does well with the bass.
The nwz-a828 and a829 or a729 etc are about a year or 2 older model now, so 2nd hand of this site or eBay may be the go, although have seen some new ones still being sold (old stock).
Oh and heres mediamonkey. If you use it with parallels you can sync to the same folder you have your mac iTunes music (across the network through parallels, but with bootcamp you would just sync to a separate music folder on your windows side.
http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back