**Major Update** Help me spend $550 (on headphones)
Jun 15, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #32 of 41
AD2000.

That would provide an excellent counterpoint to the HD580s. They are indeed very good cans that work well with your stated interests. I would like to mention that the MS2is with flats is quite the headphone. It is the sweet spot in the family. I miss my MS2i.

Jun 15, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #33 of 41
I would buy half of an Edition 9 and when you can, get the other half. That's ok, you can thank me later. . . . great minds you know, we got the answers. . .

Jun 15, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #34 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would buy half of an Edition 9 and when you can, get the other half. That's ok, you can thank me later. . . . great minds you know, we got the answers. . .

Lol. I am so glad I bumped. This post actually made me laugh aloud and I have been in a foul mood all day. Thank you, kind Sir.

Jun 15, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #35 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Your signature is ridiculously long!
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #36 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your signature is ridiculously long!
biggrin.gif

It answers many questions and raises even more. Sanity is not one of my stronger suits but as I look around I am thinking maybe it is the opposite that requires deliberation.

I propose that my finger is long enough. I am a critical care nurse, among other things and one day a patient needed a suppository. I normally give a story with a suppository but that day I delayed it (the story). Anyway I deposited the rectal suppository and was told in a matter of fact way that I had not got it in far enough. I looked at my patient and said to get it in any further I would have to get a stick. Well I came back in the room after a few minutes with a shower glove on my right arm, (they go up to your shoulder), and told my patient, Ok I'm ready to pursue that suppository! My patient exclaimed that she was sure the it was in far enough and I had done a fine job. So now that is my story when I give a suppository and no one has said I didn't get it in far enough again.

Jun 15, 2008 at 2:32 AM Post #37 of 41
Wow... I don't even care about headphones anymore(read for the next 10-15 seconds) I am gonna be to busy laughing for the next week on that one. This thread, although completely derailed, is worth its weight in gold.

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #38 of 41
what a job...

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:26 AM Post #39 of 41
Sorry if you mentioned this already, but did you say what it is you're looking for out of these new headphones that your 580's don't give you?

From the suggestions given, it seems you're being pointed in the direction of headphones that resolve/reveal more. If that's what you're looking for and you listen to a lot of rock/guitar-driven music, then the 2005 DT880 250ohm (~$220-240) coupled with a little dot mkIII ($240) should really satisfy. I make this recommendation as an HD580 owner and someone who enjoys a lot of varied guitar-driven genres.

How that setup compares to a recommended used Stax system, I've no idea.

Jun 15, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #40 of 41
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzydice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry if you mentioned this already, but did you say what it is you're looking for out of these new headphones that your 580's don't give you?

From the suggestions given, it seems you're being pointed in the direction of headphones that resolve/reveal more. If that's what you're looking for and you listen to a lot of rock/guitar-driven music, then the 2005 DT880 250ohm (~$220-240) coupled with a little dot mkIII ($240) should really satisfy. I make this recommendation as an HD580 owner and someone who enjoys a lot of varied guitar-driven genres.

How that setup compares to a recommended used Stax system, I've no idea.

I have the DT880s and as much as I love them (and believe me I do) I have to say that the Stax are better.

They really have to be heard to be believed,

Jun 15, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #41 of 41
Postal Blue,
Aren't the Stax out of your budget?
If they aren't, why not go for the 4070's?
Now, coming back to reality, from both my experience and my inexperience I would like to make the following suggestion.
I own the Ultrasone Proline (Pro) 750's and I really like them, a lot. (That's from my experience.)
I have never heard the Dennon AD-H5000 but I've heard some very good things about them. (That's my inexperience.)
What I'd like and suggest for you to do is find a place that sells both of these headphones and compare them. I'd be curious to know which you think sounds better.
I think the Dennon AD-H5000 retails for around $700 but you can probably find it for around $600.
The Ultrasone Pro 750 retails for around $400 but, again, you can probably find it for less especially if you pick up last years model which is called the Proline 750.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back