Major problems buying a new hp!
Feb 4, 2013 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Nion

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I bought the dt 880 prremium. I like the sound a lot.
I have a few problems though. Thats why i will have to send this hp back.

When i am wearing this hp for more than 10 min, my right ear gets sore (because it is
touching the earcup in front of the driver). It's a major pain wearing it for more than 10 minutes.

I also wear glasses and this hp is clamping just too much causing pain behind my ear.
I also feel the pain on the side of my face because of the clamping.

I like the sound quality though. It was my first big headphone.
I think i don't like over the ear headphones because really believe they will all clamp too much. It just ruins my experience.
I want to relax and enjoy the music or enjoy gaming.
Thats why i think i want an ''on the ear'' headphone with very soft cups. I prefer open headphones because i need the soundstage
and seperation while gaming and i just like the distant/airiness. Maybe on the ear phones wont give a clamping force because they are lighter.
I cant just try on the ear headphones in the stores. I tried the dt880 in the stores and liked it. But i noticed the clamping issue after wearing
the headphones for 2 days. Thats why i need advice from people who have long time experience with on the ear phones.

So are there any open on the ear headphones that sounds similar like the dt 880(or different but still natural) but
dont clamp too much and have very very soft earpads? (soft earpads something
like bose oe2 or sony xb500/  i have not tried these so i dont know if these kind of earpads are comfortable but they
look very comfortable)

I am also willing to try over the ear hp, but they really need to be very very gentle for me ears and glasses.
However, after reading many reviews about the comfort of the dt880 and trying the dt880 i dont think i will get
headphones that will fit me right , so thats why i now prefer headphones under 100 dollar. Maybe 150 dollars or 200 dollar if it's
really really worth it.

I need a headphone for music and gaming.
I hope somebody knows a good alternative for the dt880 thats very gentle on the ears.I also like to know other headphones
that are very gentle on the ear without the dt880 sound signature. So it does not need to be like the dt880.
As long as its clear, realistic and natural sounding.

Thanks

Feb 4, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 4
FWIW - I have worn my HD650's for hours straight and find them to be very comfortable, and not to have too much clamping pressure.

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 4
AKG K550 comes to mind, but in comparison with the beyer sound you'll lose some bass + it doesn't go well with fast or aggressive songs. 
But overall, for games the soundstage is HUGE and i doubt you have any comfort problems. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
AKG K550 comes to mind, but in comparison with the beyer sound you'll lose some bass + it doesn't go well with fast or aggressive songs. 
But overall, for games the soundstage is HUGE and i doubt you have any comfort problems. 

I dont mind losing bass. I have a E17 with bass options. But i prefer bass on my big speakers. Always sounds better.
I was thinking about AKG Q701. On some pictures i saw that the  the cupsize of the Q701 is almost twice the size of the dt880 cupsize. Is this correct?
Is the depth of the cup also deeper?
That would be great and it wont interfere with my glasses. E17 and Q701 = a match?

How much bigger is the cupsize of the K550 in comparison of the dt880? and the depth? 
E17 + K550 = a match?

ps
How is the clamp pressure of the q701 or k550? I hope not as much as the dt880

Users who are viewing this thread

Back