Major computer problem
Oct 7, 2003 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

MusicLover

1000+ Head-Fier
I recently ran the automatic Windows update (the one that automatically installs new updates) and I haven't ran it in a while. While it was installing, my computer shut down and restarted. Then when it got to the loading screen, it restarted again, causing Windows to ask to you restart in normal mode, safe mode, etc. I tried to restart in safe mode, but the same thing happened. Now whenever I turn my computer on this happens. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Could it be a virus? Thanks.

Oct 7, 2003 at 8:37 PM Post #2 of 12
ML,

Soun ds like one of the install programs probably started to update a Windows file that is needed for proper running of Windows, and now that file is corrupted. Sadly, you might need a fresh install to fix the problem, or try and run the Fix Installation program IIRC.

Oct 7, 2003 at 8:41 PM Post #3 of 12
Why dont you manually install the updates? That's actually a better way to go because you get to pick what you want in your computer instead of what Microsoft think you should have. Just Do windows update from start menu then just install all the critical updates.

Oct 7, 2003 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Habib
Why dont you manually install the updates? That's actually a better way to go because you get to pick what you want in your computer instead of what Microsoft think you should have. Just Do windows update from start menu then just install all the critical updates.

That's kind of impossible right now, considering I can't start my computer, as I said before. I am thinking of just reinstalling Windows, but that might be a problem, because I just have the xp upgrade, not full install. I do have the 98 disk, though.

Oct 7, 2003 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 12
Oops, I sounded like such an amateur. I thought you just have problem with windows update. If you have Windows XP when it's booting press F8 then you should be able to select the option "last good configuration." If the last good configuration was corrupted as well then it's pretty hopeless.

Oct 7, 2003 at 10:43 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Habib
Oops, I sounded like such an amateur. I thought you just have problem with windows update. If you have Windows XP when it's booting press F8 then you should be able to select the option "last good configuration." If the last good configuration was corrupted as well then it's pretty hopeless.

I guess that means I'm hopeless
frown.gif
. Can I reinstall the Windows XP upgrade or do I have to install 98 and then the xp upgrade? Also, if I do this, will I lose my current files?

Oct 7, 2003 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 12
ML,

Turn on the computer and place the Windows disc in the CD drive and see what options you have when it tried to boot off the CD-ROM. You'll want either to fix the current installation or install without formatting the hard drive(s).

Oct 8, 2003 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 12
You have the blaster worm, most likely. If you turn the computer on, boot into safe mode (F8).

Have you even done anything with registry editor? Not too hard. You are clearly posting from a functional machine now. I'll dig up the lines to search and delete, and also what to remove from the registry.

One of the salesmen that call on me had this recently, a total PC novice. I printed out the directions and he was up and going again after about ten minutes.

I'll be back in a few with something for you to check into.

Oct 8, 2003 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 12
Manual Removal Instructions
To remove this virus "by hand", follow these steps:

Apply the MS03-039 patch (includes MS03-026 patch)
Terminate the process msblast.exe
Delete the msblast.exe file from your WINDOWS SYSTEM32 directory (typically c:\windows\system32 or c:\winnt\system32)
Edit the registry
Delete the "windows auto update" value from
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Here's the patch download page.

Right-click on the takbar to get into taskmanager, and highlight the msblast.exe process, and terminate it.

When you search for the msblast.exe file to delete it, also search for teekids.exe and penis32.exe and also delete them if present. You have to end the task beforehand (as stated above), or it will not allow you to delete it.

To edit the registry, select 'Run' from your start menu. Type REGEDIT in the box. Or, you can go to the command (c:\) prompt, and trype regedit from there.

When you find the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\
Windows\CurrentVersion\Run" branch of the tree in the left pane, the "windows auto update" should appear in the right-hand pane. Highlight it, right-click on it, and select 'delete'

Reboot.

You will have to dowload the patch from another machine that is clean, but it's small enough to fit a floppy.

Oct 8, 2003 at 1:24 PM Post #11 of 12
Thanks a lot for the help, Voodoochile. I did have the blaster worm. Everything is fine now, and no, I didn't reinstall Windows
tongue.gif
. I was just fixing up some stuff. Also, thanks SIE and Habib for your advice.

Oct 8, 2003 at 1:53 PM Post #12 of 12
Super! Glad to hear it.
It is good advice to do the manual patches by visiting Windows Update, and selecting specific items, instead of letting windows install everything automatically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back