Major Computer Problem! Please Help!
Aug 30, 2003 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

MetalHead6969

New Head-Fier
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Hello everyone. I need dire help with my internet. The problem does not have to with the browser, because I have tried many browsers including Internet Explorer, RealOne Player, Mozilla, and many others. The problem is that I cannot login or sign up to certain sites such as fileplanet.com. I dont know what to do, I've tried everything PLEASE HELP ME!!

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Aug 30, 2003 at 4:38 AM Post #2 of 14
Describe the error message you get.

I think it's a cookie or security issue. What do you use for a firewall?

Aug 30, 2003 at 7:38 AM Post #3 of 14
temporarily drop your security settings on IE to minimum... then see if you can connect to your sites...

If you can, then work back up that sliding scale, until your sites crap out... by rights, that should give you a fair indication of what the problem is...

...although, to the best of my knowledge, most third party browsers still use the IE core, so if its IE thats glitched........

Aug 31, 2003 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 14
MetalHead,

why the anomosity towards MusicLover?

http://www.sendcoffee.com/minorsage/404error.html

otherwise do a google search for 401 error and 404 error.

on my w2k I had to lower my rwin and mss to 1460 to get packets not to be lost; and thereafter had much less 404 errors.

can you start -> run -> cmd
ping -f -l 1500 www.headfi.org
?

if it frags (4 packets lost), or timesout, you may have to set your tcpip settings lower. check out www.dslreports.com

for ME it would be start -> programs -> accessories -> msdos prompt.

and as always, check for kwaaza spyware.

about 2 years ago there was a big discussion on www.sysopt.com (and www.anandtech.com) on this very same subject.

Sep 1, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 14
I and a good friend both had increasing (over several months) sites become unaccessible. This occured with all browsers (IE, Mozilla, Opera) and only on XP (I had a dual boot with W2K). Once Yahoo stop showing up I had enough and had to do a clean install. I think it was something to do with caching IP's (if a site hosted graphics on a separate server, the html/asp/php/etc. would show up but not the graphics) at some fundemental OS level (again it happened with all browsers). Can't explain it any further in any sort of technical sense, but that's the only way we both got around it.

Sep 1, 2003 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
MetalHead,

why the anomosity towards MusicLover?

http://www.sendcoffee.com/minorsage/404error.html

otherwise do a google search for 401 error and 404 error.

on my w2k I had to lower my rwin and mss to 1460 to get packets not to be lost; and thereafter had much less 404 errors.

can you start -> run -> cmd
ping -f -l 1500 www.headfi.org
?

if it frags (4 packets lost), or timesout, you may have to set your tcpip settings lower. check out www.dslreports.com

for ME it would be start -> programs -> accessories -> msdos prompt.

and as always, check for kwaaza spyware.

about 2 years ago there was a big discussion on www.sysopt.com (and www.anandtech.com) on this very same subject.

Ok i did what u told me and i got 4 packets lost..i went to dslreports.com and now i don't no what to do there??

Sep 1, 2003 at 10:44 PM Post #7 of 14
first of all, did you d/l adaware and spybot, installed and ran them?

what is your OS?

do you use kwaaza?

what is your browser history set to?

do you have "play animations/sound/videos" set in IE -> tools -> advanced? (you should check them on).

as to fileplanet - I never got my account to work right, so I d/l everything from Europe.

So the first thing to do is try doing what you are trying to do on another computer, say a friend's or at the library.

Sep 1, 2003 at 10:57 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
first of all, did you d/l adaware and spybot, installed and ran them?

what is your OS?

do you use kwaaza?

what is your browser history set to?

do you have "play animations/sound/videos" set in IE -> tools -> advanced? (you should check them on).

as to fileplanet - I never got my account to work right, so I d/l everything from Europe.

So the first thing to do is try doing what you are trying to do on another computer, say a friend's or at the library.

I have ran adaware and spybot.

I use Windows XP.

I don't know what kwaaza is..unless your talking about Kazaa the file-sharing program, in that case yes I do have Kazaa.

My browser history is set to 1 day.

I do have animations/sound/videos checked on.

I have tried doing what I'm doing on my brothers computer, and it his works fine.

Sep 2, 2003 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 14
I found this tip (can't remember where) to be useful info :

Give WinXP a Swirly -

If you are having long page load times and such, you might very well be battling DNS issues. If you are a WindowsXP user, simply bring up the Command Prompt (run "cmd") window and type "ipconfig /flushdns" and press the enter key. This will get rid of old DNS entries cached by Windows. Not a bad idea to do this a couple times a week anyway if you are a big surfer.

Nov 2, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #12 of 14
The error message is the common error message: Page Cannot Be Displayed.....I have tried dropping my settings to minimum..it still doesnt let me go to the sites. I use Windows XP. I currently don't have a firewall installed.

Nov 13, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #13 of 14
Uh, MetalMario, actually you do have a firewall, automatic with the router.

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by MusicLover
Uh, MetalMario, actually you do have a firewall, automatic with the router.

.................................................. .................Rot in Hell Indian-MusicLover

Users who are viewing this thread

Back