Mainstream reviewers: CNET vs TrustedReviews vs WhatHiFi
May 22, 2011 at 9:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

DrHouse

100+ Head-Fier
Of the three, which do you feel give the most credible headphone reviews?
My personal opinion, trusted reviews e.g. the only one of thee three to not like the beats solo, which is the worst value on ear I've ever listened to. Cnet is good, but not all their editors give credible reviews.   
Opinions?

May 22, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #2 of 15
I like them all. What Hi-Fi has some very decent reviews and I like the variety of brands/price ranges they cover, but being a UK mag and all, many of their items aren't available here and/or very hard to find.

I like reading 'The Audiophiliac' Steve's column on CNET (and if you've noticed, he's been doing more headphone/amp reviews lately :)

Have you checked out 'Inner Fidelity' yet? It's a new site geared towards headphone reviews. He doesn't have much on there yet, but I like what I've read so far.

May 22, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #3 of 15
Never heard of that site b4. WIll check it out though. 

May 22, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 15
I wouldn't know, for reviews I use a site called head-fi.org :)

May 22, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
Once you read this, you'll realise Cnet don't even deserve a mention

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/headphones/sennheiser-hd-25-1-ii-adidas-originals-review-50002999/

blink.gif

Verdict

The Sennheiser HD 25-1-II Adidas Originals are heinous in every respect besides sound quality. A £200 set of headphones shouldn't feel so cheap and uncomfortable. 

May 22, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #8 of 15
^
beyersmile.png

well, we do have to admit those are more comfortable probably
tongue_smile.gif

May 22, 2011 at 2:36 PM Post #9 of 15
Personally, I've liked the reviews that I've read in What Hi-Fi in regards to audio equipment in general.  I haven't read any of their headphone reviews, but reviews on receivers, amps and speakers are usually just about spot on in how they review and rate the gear.

May 22, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 15
CNET gets my vote, teh rest I've never heard of. Head fi has a fairly nice selection of reviews as well

May 22, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #12 of 15
Never really thought much of CNETs reviews, some a biased and some are just plain wrong. You can add your own biased opinion in a review but it should be clear to the reader.

Trusted reviews are OK, the ones I have come across seemed all right but probably only read like five reviews from that site the last year or so.

May 22, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #13 of 15
I lost faith in CNET after they consistently gave Bose headphones 4 stars, and the Klipsch S4 4.5 stars.

Trusted Reviews is a website I've always liked. I've read probably ever one of their headphone reviews and find them much more to my liking.

May 22, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
Never really thought much of CNETs reviews, some a biased and some are just plain wrong. You can add your own biased opinion in a review but it should be clear to the reader.

Trusted reviews are OK, the ones I have come across seemed all right but probably only read like five reviews from that site the last year or so.

Your avatar reminded me a site called Techpowerup.com,it also have some pretty good headphone/iem reviews

May 22, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #15 of 15
I like CNET.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back