Main System
Jun 22, 2002 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

TimSchirmer

Repelling digital infidels. (Would that be called the Digifadah?)
Okay...as you all know...im pretty low-budget. Recently...I have actually been satisfied with my headphone system. Now I want to get a speaker system....I can get wharfdale diamonds for under 100$, and maybe a musical fidelity integrated amp, and lastly my CEC turntable/little rat as a source. What do y'all think of that?

Jun 22, 2002 at 7:40 AM Post #2 of 5
Try the Michaura 55's, for about the same price ($100 shipped)... They look like an amazing deal, as the seem to be based on the axiom m22's (which sell for $400), but are now being cleared out since the company went bankrupt...

They are only available at ubid, and probably won't last too much longer... People at audioasylum and other sites have been raving about that speaker for the last few months, though it seems that every few months a new "fad" speaker appears there...

For cheap but decent tube amp, the ASL wave av8's look like a good buy- i haven't heard them but for $99 each (they're monoblocks so you'll need 2) there isn't much to lose, and many people love them... You will need a preamp to go with them, but i think your szkeres' would do a fine as a preamp...

I am using a similar setup, with the axiom m22s (modified quite a lot) and a diy poweramp, my only complaint is a slight brightness that can be fatiguing after a while... other than that it can actually beat my main headphone system in some ways (soundstage, realism, frequency response from midrange up)

Jun 22, 2002 at 11:24 PM Post #3 of 5
I'd personally steer clear of the Wharfedales... they used to be really good, but according to the Hi-Fi press, over the past few years have gone decidedly downhill...

...saying that, maybe the Diamonds are well reviewed?!

What was your reason for picking that particular model?

Jun 23, 2002 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 5
the Diamond series is getting rave reviews all over the place. seem to be the budget speakers to buy at the moment, according to pretty much every hifi mag.

Jun 23, 2002 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Assuming that you are speaking of the Diamond 8.1s, that seems to be a great deal. AA has them but they want $200 plus shipping. I ended up with the PSB Alpha A/Vs for my mains through Yawa Audio and am very satisfied with them.....for now.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back