Main difference between Superlux HD681 & Superlux HD668B
Jun 1, 2018 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Monty1089

New Head-Fier
Hi guys.

I live in Australia and have a $50 eBay voucher to use and have narrowed it down to these headphones. Main use is for FPS gaming on my PS4.

From my research online there isn't much comparison between the HD681 and HD668B. The main comparison is between the HD681 evo and HD668B.

What is the big differences between the non evo HD681 and HD668B? My only use for this headphone would be for gaming. No music or movies.

The HD681 is $39 shipped from Australia so i will get it within 2 days. The HD668B is $50 shipped from China so it will take around 1 month to get to me. I can also get the HM5 velour pads from Australia for $39 or $32 shipped from USA.

Is the HD668B a lot better for gaming for me to wait an extra month for it? Or will the HD681 be close to the sound as the HD668B and i can save the time and get that instead? Both headphones would be free with the voucher.

Please share with me your input if you have tried these headphones or know something about them.

Thanks.

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #2 of 14
I bought both at the same time last year...I wound up dismantling the 668B for the drivers and modded the 681 and kept them. The major difference for me was comfort. The 681 is very comfortable (especially with HM5 hybrid pads. The 668B was very uncomfortable. I also like the sound of the 681 better, but to be honest I can't remember exactly why...my impression was that the 681 was more natural sounding, I liked the soundstage better. They were a little bit brighter in the treble, but you can do some simple filter mods and cure it.
I would say for a much more comfortable headphone, for little less money, very similar sound, and not having to wait, I'd get the 681.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the reply Luke.

I do prefer headband style headphones compared to the audio technica wings. It seems it would dig into your head. However i haven't tried it before.

But i think i will stick with the HD681 and HM5 velour pads all from Australia. Adding an extra month for delivery seems too much.

I know a lot of people suggest the Samson SR850 and Superlux HD668B are the same thing but the HD668B is 56ohms compared to 32ohms for the Samson. I wonder if the Samson and HD681 are also very similar since both are 32ohms. They also look very similar as well. So if the Samson SR850 is good the HD681 must be as well.

Jun 1, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #4 of 14
I bought and used the HD681 EVO, HD668B & SR850.
I would take the HD681 EVO and SR850, over the HD668B.

Jun 1, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for the reply Luke.

I do prefer headband style headphones compared to the audio technica wings. It seems it would dig into your head. However i haven't tried it before.

But i think i will stick with the HD681 and HM5 velour pads all from Australia. Adding an extra month for delivery seems too much.

I know a lot of people suggest the Samson SR850 and Superlux HD668B are the same thing but the HD668B is 56ohms compared to 32ohms for the Samson. I wonder if the Samson and HD681 are also very similar since both are 32ohms. They also look very similar as well. So if the Samson SR850 is good the HD681 must be as well.
I'd recommend the hybrid pads over the velour, if that's possible for you...they seem to have a bit more bass, which for gaming I think you would want. Probably not a huge difference, but they are open backed and therefore lighter on the bass.

Jun 1, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #6 of 14
Hi guys.
I live in Australia and have a $50 eBay voucher to use and have narrowed it down to these headphones. Main use is for FPS gaming on my PS4.
From my research online there isn't much comparison between the HD681 and HD668B. The main comparison is between the HD681 evo and HD668B.
What is the big differences between the non evo HD681 and HD668B? My only use for this headphone would be for gaming. No music or movies.
The HD681 is $39 shipped from Australia so i will get it within 2 days. The HD668B is $50 shipped from China so it will take around 1 month to get to me. I can also get the HM5 velour pads from Australia for $39 or $32 shipped from USA.
Is the HD668B a lot better for gaming for me to wait an extra month for it? Or will the HD681 be close to the sound as the HD668B and i can save the time and get that instead? Both headphones would be free with the voucher.
Please share with me your input if you have tried these headphones or know something about them.
Thanks.
I do not like those HM5 ear pads.
You can find lots of generic brands of ear pads (fake Velour or fake leather), for the HD681/SR850/HD668B on eBay for under $10
Any pad that fits onto the AKG K240 series should also work.

Jun 1, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #7 of 14
I'd recommend the hybrid pads over the velour, if that's possible for you...they seem to have a bit more bass, which for gaming I think you would want. Probably not a huge difference, but they are open backed and therefore lighter on the bass.

Thanks. I can get the hybrids as well. They seem to be a good in between option with the comfort of the velours and better bass with pleather. I might check that one out.

I do not like those HM5 ear pads.
You can find lots of generic brands of ear pads (fake Velour or fake leather), for the HD681/SR850/HD668B on eBay for under $10
Any pad that fits onto the AKG K240 series should also work.

Any reason why you didn't like it? Most people tend to go for that one over the Cosmos & hifiman velours.

I can also get these from Australia as well:

https://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-Velour-Earpads-Headphone-replacement-HE400/dp/B00VV2JYXK

If i get cheap unbranded velours then i would need to order from China and wait for delivery. The brand velours are available locally for purchase.

Jun 2, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #8 of 14
Thanks. I can get the hybrids as well. They seem to be a good in between option with the comfort of the velours and better bass with pleather. I might check that one out.
Any reason why you didn't like it? Most people tend to go for that one over the Cosmos & hifiman velours.
I can also get these from Australia as well:
https://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-Velour-Earpads-Headphone-replacement-HE400/dp/B00VV2JYXK
If i get cheap unbranded velours then i would need to order from China and wait for delivery. The brand velours are available locally for purchase.

I had the HM5 headphone, grip on the head was a little to tight for me, but maybe it's different when the HM5 ear pads are used on other headphones.
I used the Hifiman HE velour ear pads on my ATH-A900X headphones, so if you can get them locally and at a fair price, go for it.

Jun 2, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #9 of 14
Thanks for that.

I have done a lot of reading and HM5 pads are usually the top pick that comes up due to comfort. However they don't fit very well with various headphones from my reading. It requires a lot of stretching. There is a HM5 XL model but i might need to import that one which means longer wait.

The Hifiman velours i can get locally and cheaper than the HM5 and a lot cheaper than HM5 XL.

Jun 2, 2018 at 10:09 AM Post #10 of 14
I had the HM5 headphone, grip on the head was a little to tight for me, but maybe it's different when the HM5 ear pads are used on other headphones.
I used the Hifiman HE velour ear pads on my ATH-A900X headphones, so if you can get them locally and at a fair price, go for it.
The pads didn't make the HM5 tight on your head, the band did....you could have just stretched the headband out and had some of the most comfortable headphones ever.

Jun 2, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #11 of 14
The pads didn't make the HM5 tight on your head, the band did....you could have just stretched the headband out and had some of the most comfortable headphones ever.
Yes it was the headband that made the grip on the head too tight for me.

Jun 4, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 14
Why are you telling me that now? :) What do you prefer over the SR850 than the 668B?
The HD668B broke after only two months, maybe if I handled them better, then might not have broke.
But I never really abused them (guess my budget headphone get less respect then my higher end stuff)

Also I guess I preferred the HD681/SR850 headband.

Jun 5, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #14 of 14
Update.

So i received my Superlux HD681 headphones yesterday and also the Brainwavz HM5 velour earpads.

Firstly the Superlux headphones sound great. The soundstage is excellent and the sound is great too. I am only using it for gaming so i didn't notice the treble issues people complain about. I guess if i play music then i might notice it but for gaming it is fine. The pleather earpads was atrocious though. I understand the war against the earpads. They are atrocious!!

Secondly the battle to get the HM5 velours onto the headphones is a battle that you can easily give up on. It is so damn hard!! I pre-strectched the earpads but still almost ripped it. However i won the battle and finally get both of them on :slight_smile:. I know Brainwavz sells the XL velour earpads but in Australia the retailer here didn't have them so i had to buy the standard size HM5 velours. If i had the time to wait i would have bought the XL from USA and have it shipped here.

So far i am enjoying this headphone for gaming on my PS4. I attached a modmic 4.0 and now i have a great gaming headset :slight_smile:

I will attach some photos of the before and after so you guys can see the difference.

Thanks everyone for replying :)

IMG_1430.JPG IMG_1432.JPG IMG_1433.JPG IMG_1434.JPG IMG_1438.JPG

19JqZbk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back