Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Jul 18, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #3,676 of 3,718

Quote:
Wow! I'm really impressed. That sounded amazingly realistic. I can't imagine how long it took to do that. How does one get started learning to do it? I mean using Sonar, Garritan Personal Orchestra and all that? Very nice job.

Hi,

I am glad that you liked the rendition.
It took basically 3 months to do this, although I had started on it 15 years ago :)

About learning this: is not too difficult. Garritan Personal Orchestra 4 is easy to use - the sounds are just embedded as a VST synth within Sonar.
Sonar is a bot more complex. but adding, recording, and editing the MIDI tracks is no big deal. I usually play each track live from the score sheet (so you need to be able to read music and understand the proper transpositions etc.), then I add the "expression" with a wheel after the note recording. Finally at the end I draw the tempo map. Is largely "try and error".

Cheers,
Reinhold 

Jul 18, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #3,677 of 3,718

Quote:
This is cool..I'll have to download them today after work. Thanks!!!
beerchug.gif

Great - I hope you enjoyed my recording!

Cheers,
Reinhold

Jul 22, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #3,678 of 3,718
I'm still out here - I just checked this thread for the first time in a very long time and found this post.  I'll have to do some reading to catch up.

I've been listening to the Bertini set lately as well!

Jul 31, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #3,679 of 3,718
I'm currently listening to/watching the DVD of Abbado conducting the 3rd with the Lucerne Festival Orchestra. 1st time I fell asleep early on and woke up for the final movement, that struck me as cool and detached. I restarted and now seems that I slept through a rousing 2nd movement. I think I'll have to watch this again tomorrow before sending it back to netflix.

Anyone else have any Mahler DVD/Blu-Ray recommendations?

On another note, I've picked up most if not all of the Zinman RCA Mahler SACD's. I've made no effort to keep track of which I like and why at this point, except to notice that they seem to be a mixed bag.

Has anyone downloaded the high resolution Mahler from the BSO?

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #3,680 of 3,718
I've picked up a few of the Abbado DVDs and have been thoroughly impressed: nos. 2, 5, 6, & 7. Excellent in all ways: playing, conducting, sound, video. No complaints at all from me. I wish the older Bernstein dvds could have been at such a consistently high level all the way around.

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #3,681 of 3,718
Interesting thread.  I've been an obsessed Mahlerian now for close to 35 years.  But I own so many Mahler symphonies as is, I can't imagine buying many more.  Plus there are so many terrific concerts available for download. 

Sep 1, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #3,682 of 3,718

Quote:
Interesting thread.  I've been an obsessed Mahlerian now for close to 35 years.  But I own so many Mahler symphonies as is, I can't imagine buying many more.  Plus there are so many terrific concerts available for download. 

Can you provide a link to some of the great concerts for download??

I just finished listening through this for maybe the fourth time during the last month - and it keeps impressing me:

The first time I heard it in my headphones could not help myself bursting out a loud "Whoooaaw!" - this symphony has so many feelings in it.
I do not use classical music for casual music consumption but for dedicated listening only. I really need to concentrate and soak myself deep into these works. I havn't found any other classical music that can satisfy me like Mahler - except some of the great Wagner operas - Tannhäuser in particular.

Mahlers music really takes a long time to "digest" but the more I taste it the more layers will reveal itself to me. I guess I can spend many years going through all ten symphonies. Spice it up with some background reading from Mahlers life and the thoughts and emotions he have poured into his music. This is what music is all about for me! 

Sep 6, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #3,683 of 3,718
Try the Yahoo Concert Archive group.  They have all these radio broadcasts in more or less good sound.  The Symphony Share Google group has both radio broadcasts and a lot of out-of-print LPs transferred to FLAC format.  For instance, I've listened the past three days to a live Mahler 10 (Cooke) with Chailly and Gewandhaus and a Mahler 5 with Gatti and Vienna. 

Sep 9, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #3,684 of 3,718
Boy, you said it. I've been listening to Mahler for over 40 years now and still have so much to learn. The music has endless fascinations. There are so many recordings, mercifully few bad ones, then there are the festivals, live concerts. And the books! Last year I spend a blissful summer reading the entire 4 volume Henry Louis de Lagrange bio. Great reading and more information than you can possibly remember. But what was fun was to intersperse the reading with the music in chronological order. And not only Mahler, but the music he championed. So much Mahler...so little time.

Nov 28, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #3,685 of 3,718
Amazing, the number of Mahler enthousiasts! Of course I have not read all commentaries (there are too many), but I would like to see Haitink's renderings of Mahler 1, 2, 3 en 6 on Resound with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Michelle DeYoung in your listings. Especially sound quality is amazing (live) and true to nature, layering and solo instruments are perfect. I think Haitink's interpretions come close to what Mahler intended.

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #3,686 of 3,718
One of the great tragedies of music history is that Mahler never had a chance to record anything. So close, but not close enough. The best we can get is the very old recordings by others who did hear him live, or play under him, and keep our fingers crossed that it's close to what Mahler did. The 2nd under Oscar Fried from the 1920's is revelatory, as is the early Bruno Walter on A&E. Then we have Walter in the 9th and Das Lied from the 30's, Ormandy in 2nd from the 40's. Charles Adler did some. Hermann Scherchen played the 7th under Mahler. Stokowski attended the premier of 8. Haitiink doesn't come close to any of these. Haitink is greatly concerned about beauty of sound, phrasing, and ensemble and quashes the more elemental, edgy, manic parts of Mahler. I don't think anyone alive does Mahler the way Mahler did it. We know from interviews with early NY players that Mahler used a lot of portamento in the strings that no conductor today would be willing to use. Not even hyperMahler conductor Leonard Bernstein used it.
Haitink's first set sounded great, but next to Solti, Bernstein and Levine was seriously underpowered. Beautiful, but lacking in chutzpah. His Berlin remakes were better, I especially liked 3 and 6. But nothing from Chicago has done anything to detract from Solti, Levine, Abbado, Boulez or others who recorded with them.

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #3,688 of 3,718
Does anyone own and like the Eloquence rerelease of the Sinopoli/Philharmonia set?  It looks like a bargain if only for the song-cycle performances by Terfel and Fassbaender.

I have it and don't like it. Obviously your mileage may vary, but I thought there was nothing special about any of the performances. Sinopoli has nothing to say about this music. The best was the 5th, but it was a very superficial performance, a 'concerto for orchestra'. Even the sound was not great, despite these being relatively recent recordings (I don't remember if it was recorded at the Southbank centre).

For me the main point of interest was comparing the orchestrated early songs with the disc of Hampson conducted by Berio (half of it - the other half is with piano). I'll admit that the Sinopoli has the edge here, although neither version is completely convincing as Mahler.

EDIT: For those interested in this obscure corner of Mahleriana (I think the only thing more obscure would be orchestrations of the early chamber works), Berio orchestrated:
Ablosung im sommer, Zu strassburg auf der Schanz, Nicht wiedersehen, Um schlimme kinder artig zu machen, Frulingsmorgen, Hans und Grete, Ich ging mit lust durch einen grunen wald, Phantasie (aus Don Juan), Scheiden und Meiden, and Erinnerung (twice, for some reason).

Harold Byrns (Sinopoli) orchestrated:
Ablosung im sommer, Zu strassburg auf der Schanz, Nicht wiedersehen, Um schlimme kinder artig zu machen, Frulingsmorgen, and Selbstgefuhl (the only one not also orchestrated by Berio).

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #3,689 of 3,718
Many thanks for the Sinopoli appraisal -- the Amazon reviews of the more expensive DG box are cool, but the song cycles did seem to draw some strong support from Santa Fe Listener (generally an insightful reviewer).

Jun 15, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #3,690 of 3,718
Many thanks for the Sinopoli appraisal -- the Amazon reviews of the more expensive DG box are cool, but the song cycles did seem to draw some strong support from Santa Fe Listener (generally an insightful reviewer).

SFL is one of the more reasonable reviewers on Amazon - but his tastes tend to differ from my own! If you like the things he likes, I think he'd be a good guide.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back