Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
May 29, 2010 at 10:48 AM Post #3,648 of 3,718
Most of the DG set is digital recording, the only ones that aren't are Kubelik in M1, Mehta in M2, Solti in M8. I don't know which M3 from Haitink is used. The sound in any of the recordings is never less than excellent, although M1 is a bit bass-shy which may be more of the conductor's view than the recording engineer's. But none of them are sacd, and none up to the extraordinary level Bis got in Mnneapolis. But you won't be disappointed. If I were a first time Mahler buyer, that DG would certainly be a fine entry -- and for many listeners, all the Mahler they ever need. Add in the EMI set and you've got one heck of a fine Mahler collection. Between the two sets many of the recordings have long been considered reference version by collectors and critics alike. There are no duds in either.

May 30, 2010 at 6:23 AM Post #3,649 of 3,718
Thanks!
Well, after working my way over the past 12 months through the Chailly set, and aquiring a few other individual symphonies I am looking for a set with more intensity and drama.
Has anyone had any experience with this Bernstein set:
http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphonies-Gustav/dp/B0033QC0WY/ref=pd_rhf_shvl_17

Jun 1, 2010 at 4:54 PM Post #3,651 of 3,718
yep.  Bernstein's are the classics (both cycles).  He has a tendency to over-emphasize things, which can get a little annoying after the 15th hearing, but if you're looking for heaven and hell in Mahler, no-one else does it so well so consistently.

Jun 1, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #3,653 of 3,718
I assume you're talking about the live 9th -- and you're right then, it is supreme. I know that DG was looking for different conductors for each work, but Karajan's 6th is also really fantastic. But then, Abbado has to be there somewhere.

Jun 2, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #3,654 of 3,718
True, Karajan's sixth would have deserved a place on the DG set, as would Bernstein's. Come to think of it, I would personally perhaps have rearranged symphonies 5-7 of the DG set like this:

5th: Sinopoli
6th: Bernstein
7th: Abbado 

Jun 2, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #3,655 of 3,718
Ended up getting the DG limited edition set - was cheap and available locally.

Bernstein's M5 (VPO) really is exciting, the first 2 movements full of action and the adagietto has an anticipation/lingering quality without being overly "flowery".
The sound quality is excellent to boot.
Still relatively new to all this, but it never ceases to amaze me how various interpretations of the same piece can sound so differnet - almost like listening to differnet music.
Although I have only listened to the Bernstein M5 once - I definitely prefer it to Chailly and Dudamel.

I think I will really enjoy this set over a long period.
But for some reason Iam allready thinking of whats next! -the EMI and Bernstein collectors editions look good as well!........

Jun 3, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #3,658 of 3,718
Couldn't agree with more with Lex, the Barshai 5th is truly great, you'll be hard pressed to find a more intense, fresh and spontaneous Mahler recording. Probably due to the fact that the orchestra consisted of young music students rather than seasoned professionals playing the piece for the umpteenth time, and the orchestra was also undoubtedly greatly inspired by its conductor. It's a shame we don'y have more recordings from this team. Makes you wonder who these kids were and where they are today, in particular the lead brass players who yield nothing to their big-name counterparts in the top orchestras. 

What's even more fascinating about the Barshai recording is that unlike most "live recordings" that are in fact patched together from several concerts and rehelsars, it is an unedited one-off recording of a single concert, nothing added, nothing removed. 

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #3,659 of 3,718
I agree with your comments about the quality of the interpretation and the involvement of the musicians. The only shortcomings are that the orchestra's ensemble isn't always "tight" and the sound quality doesn't have much in the way of imaging. But I'll live with those shortcomings rather than listening to a professional but involved reading however great the sound might be.

Jun 17, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #3,660 of 3,718
Just saw the news today that Maureen Forrester died yesterday. :frowning2:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Entertainment/20100616/maureen-forrester-era-100617/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back