Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Apr 23, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #3,481 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3) Remaster the whole thing in SACD. What an incredible missed opportunity. I like Mahler in big stereo sound with speakers, and sacd would/could/should make the experience even better.

Bah! Sony. You missed it! I'll keep looking.

These symphonies were recently issued in SACD, but in Japan. They are really expensive to import to the US
frown.gif

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #3,482 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think Sony really missed a great opportunity on the Bernstein re-re-re-re-release. Many of us have at least some of those recordings, and would have considered the expense of the whole set if they had done three things:
1) Include the Bernstein recordings of Des Knabenwunderhorn et al, both orchestral and piano versions he made.
2) Include both versions of the 2nd: NY and London
3) Remaster the whole thing in SACD. What an incredible missed opportunity. I like Mahler in big stereo sound with speakers, and sacd would/could/should make the experience even better.

Bah! Sony. You missed it! I'll keep looking.

Still waiting for my set to arrive..............

Agree with MB
-all song cycles should be in 90th anniversary boxset
-the LSO 2nd would be great bonus, I have this in DVD format....
-SACD hybrid "possibly" good idea but not if that doubles the price, otherwise keep CD set and issue more expensive SACD set

Apr 23, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #3,483 of 3,718
Classics Today

DH is really impressed with reissued Bernstein set, calls it a landmark set and says sound has been noticeably improved in several symphonies. His complaints center around the physical packaging and the ease of acessing Cds, I will see this first hand when my set arrives.

Surprised that DH would list this as a reference set since it is extreme in its contrasts and artistic liscense compared to almost any other set and DH tends to like his classical by the numbers.......he correctly mentions the NYPO 5th was improved upon with the later VPO/DG 5th, that is why you can easily supplement this set with the 2CD DG Panorama Mahler 1,5 the best two performances of the later DG set

Would love to see the Solti set reissued as a DG Original series someday (or at least the astonishing CSO 2nd)
normal_smile .gif

(Solti CSO 1,7,8 and LSO 2 currently a DG Original issues)

Apr 28, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #3,485 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim_j_thomas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DA,

Any initial thoughts? My set arrived a couple of days ago, and I like what I'm hearing!!

DH from classicstoday was right about one thing..............bad decision to make two gatefolded CD sleeves that open in the center instead of the outer edges.

So 4 of the 12 Cds have dumb double sleeve design, other 8 have normal single CD sleeves

Have not listened too much yet, I have been very busy with opera lately, a costly new area of interest.
wink_face.gif

I always thought the Sony SBM mastered versions were pretty good from previous set, very detailed with minimum noise filtering as you could often hear the faint original master tape hiss during quiet sections.......so I will be thrilled with any improvement in sound.

Apr 29, 2009 at 11:42 PM Post #3,486 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DH from classicstoday was right about one thing..............bad decision to make two gatefolded CD sleeves that open in the center instead of the outer edges.

So 4 of the 12 Cds have dumb double sleeve design, other 8 have normal single CD sleeves

Have not listened too much yet, I have been very busy with opera lately, a costly new area of interest.
wink_face.gif

I always thought the Sony SBM mastered versions were pretty good from previous set, very detailed with minimum noise filtering as you could often hear the faint original master tape hiss during quiet sections.......so I will be thrilled with any improvement in sound.

I agree the packaging leaves something to be desired. But it's a minor inconvenience, considering the music
normal_smile .gif

May 2, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #3,487 of 3,718
Quote:

wink_face.gif

Well overall I would say for most people if you have the older Bernstein/Sony set no real need to upgrade to newest set. As mentioned there are some minor packaging snafus and there aren't enough extras included to warrant an upgrade and extra money spent.

As far as sound improvement very minimal overall change for me, I compared several short sections repeatedly and only improvement I thought I could hear was slightly longer decay of notes especially in lower mids like cello and perhaps a touch more micro detail for new set.

If you are just buying Bernstein/NYPO for first time and price is close I would say get new set, but not essential for collectors to have both.

May 3, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #3,488 of 3,718
Thank you, DarkAngel, you save my money at least for now.

I still may get this new Bernstein Sony set since my old set is not in U.S. with me.

May 3, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #3,489 of 3,718
Quote:

-SACD hybrid "possibly" good idea but not if that doubles the price, otherwise keep CD set and issue more expensive SACD set

I'd have no problem with that. Here's the thing though -- in a lot of cases, they can forego the second disk and put the entire symphony on one DSD layer of the disk. Yes, I realize that will change the program content between the redbook layers and the DSD layers; yes, I realize that most people are too stupid to be able to handle that -- do it anyway! (a) It's a better way to present the symphonies, and (b) crow about it in the name of saving money in today's economy.

So if you're going to make a second set, feel free to make them not hybrids (SACD only).
eek.gif

May 7, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #3,490 of 3,718
I'm so excited! I just had to share. I just got confirmation, my Brother has scored tickets for this weekend so I am going to see/hear: Friday night at Carnegie it's Boulez conducting Mahler No. 3, Saturday night it's Boulez conducting Mahler No.4 and Songs from Des Knaben Wunderhorn, and on Sunday it's Barenboim conducting No. 5 and Rückert Liede

It's Mothers-day weekend and his girlfriend who usually goes with him is going to visit her Mother,
bigsmile_face.gif
lucky for me!

Is anyone from here going?

May 7, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #3,491 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm so excited! I just had to share. I just got confirmation, my Brother has scored tickets for this weekend so I am going to see/hear: Friday night at Carnegie it's Boulez conducting Mahler No. 3, Saturday night it's Boulez conducting Mahler No.4 and Songs from Des Knaben Wunderhorn, and on Sunday it's Barenboim conducting No. 5 and Rückert Liede

It's Mothers-day weekend and his girlfriend who usually goes with him is going to visit her Mother,
bigsmile_face.gif
lucky for me!

Is anyone from here going?

I was in Carnegie Hall last night for the start of the cycle. Quasthoff (who is doing the Ruckertlieder on Sunday) did the Kindertotenlieder last night. He was superb. And Barenboim's Mahler 1st was probably one of the greatest live performances of any Mahler symphony around. For a brief moment as I watched him, I wondered if Mahler's ghost hadn't come down to possess Barenboim's body. It was electric! It was as if I had never heard the M1 before; everything sounded fresh and new. The SK Berlin has become one heck of a Mahler Band -- maybe the Mahler Band to measure others against, although having heard Ivan Fischer conducting the Mahler 1st, I would have to say the the Budapest Festival Orchestra is also in the running. The SK Berlin puts Rattle's Berlin Philharmonic to shame. No wonder the critics in Berlin are so harsh, they have the SKB to compare them to, and to quote DH, the Boring Berliners come up sadly lacking.

This is going to be a great cycle if they can come close to the opening night glory. Tonight Boulez is conducting the Mahler 2nd with Michelle DeYoung (mezzo) and Dorothea Röschmann (soprano) soloists. There's nothing else on the program so I'm now wondering if they will program an intermission between the first and second movements, or as has been the custom lately, just go through the whole symphony with only a minute or two between the first movement and the rest of the symphony.

While I'm not crazy about Boulez's cd of the 2nd, the dvd of a live performance with with the SK Berlin (Diana Damrau and Petra Lang soloists) is wonderful, so I know this has the potential of being a truly great concert.

May 7, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #3,492 of 3,718
Just out of the wrapper:

51NE91zf41L._SS500_.jpg

I can't judge if it's the best conducted M4 around, for that I have to rely on DH. What I can say is that this is consistent with Fischer's very high performance standards. It's definitely a Mahler 4th to enter the ranks of reference performances. My only complaint is that the sleigh bells at the beginning don't have sufficient prominence, they could stand a little more prominence whenever they are used. DH is certainly right about the de-emphasis of the percussion (including his favorite tam-tam), but it's still a terrific recording.

Since getting this I've been listening more and more to his Mahler recordings, and I have to say that I am deriving more and more satisfaction from his M6, even with the Andante as the second movement. I think listening to MacKerras's recording with the BBC Symphony opened me up to that ordering, although I still think the Scherzo as second movement generally works better. However, if the Andante is treated as a true andante, rather than as an adagio as it usually is, the symphony does work. However, it really takes an exceptional hand on the podium to get it to work for me. I haven't been satisfied by Abbado's Mahler, and his M6 is a good example of the Andante in 2nd position draining energy and momentum. The Abbado M6 feels like two small (2 movement) works conducted back to back rather than one symphony with 4 movements. Fischer and MacKerras make the symphony work ordered in that way and I'll bet that's not as easy as conducting it with the Scherzo as the second movement. (Btw, the story of Mahler changing the order of the movements just before the performance remind me of the students on multiple answer tests changing their answers after they go back and review the question again. Statistically, the first answer is usually the correct one!)

Anyone hesitating about pulling the trigger on this purchase need hesitate no longer.
biggrin.gif

May 7, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #3,493 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was in Carnegie Hall last night for the start of the cycle. Quasthoff (who is doing the Ruckertlieder on Sunday) did the Kindertotenlieder last night. He was superb. And Barenboim's Mahler 1st was probably one of the greatest live performances of any Mahler symphony around. For a brief moment as I watched him, I wondered if Mahler's ghost hadn't come down to possess Barenboim's body. It was electric! It was as if I had never heard the M1 before; everything sounded fresh and new. The SK Berlin has become one heck of a Mahler Band -- maybe the Mahler Band to measure others against, although having heard Ivan Fischer conducting the Mahler 1st, I would have to say the the Budapest Festival Orchestra is also in the running. The SK Berlin puts Rattle's Berlin Philharmonic to shame. No wonder the critics in Berlin are so harsh, they have the SKB to compare them to, and to quote DH, the Boring Berliners come up sadly lacking.

This is going to be a great cycle if they can come close to the opening night glory. Tonight Boulez is conducting the Mahler 2nd with Michelle DeYoung (mezzo) and Dorothea Röschmann (soprano) soloists. There's nothing else on the program so I'm now wondering if they will program an intermission between the first and second movements, or as has been the custom lately, just go through the whole symphony with only a minute or two between the first movement and the rest of the symphony.

While I'm not crazy about Boulez's cd of the 2nd, the dvd of a live performance with with the SK Berlin (Diana Damrau and Petra Lang soloists) is wonderful, so I know this has the potential of being a truly great concert.

I was there too.....I turned to my friend after the 1st symphony concluded and I said "that was the best Mahler conducting I've ever witnessed in a concert hall." It was really great

May 7, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #3,494 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was there too.....I turned to my friend after the 1st symphony concluded and I said "that was the best Mahler conducting I've ever witnessed in a concert hall." It was really great

I envy you. Did anyone notice any camera's filming the performance? I was wondering if maybe PBS's "Great Performances" series would film this Mahler festival. Being out here in California and poor
wink_face.gif
is the only way I could experience these concerts.

May 7, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #3,495 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptor34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I envy you. Did anyone notice any camera's filming the performance? I was wondering if maybe PBS's "Great Performances" series would film this Mahler festival. Being out here in California and poor
wink_face.gif
is the only way I could experience these concerts.

Sorry, but I don't think the SK Berlin would be filming or recording in NY. They record in Germany, and I suspect that if they film at all it would be at home in the Berlin Staatsoper Unter den Linden (Opera House), built by Frederick the Great. Barenboim's recent Beethoven sonata cycle was filmed in there, and these concerts are a repeat of the same concerts done there last year. If we are lucky, they may yet surface on dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back