Mahler Symphonies Favorite Recordings
Apr 12, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #3,466 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Facade19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Last night I picked up Maazel/VPO of Mahler's 5th, for $4, new.
I expected to be pleased, but what I came away with was the best experience I have ever been bewitched with any 5th I have heard (even the Jansons/RCO live I attended). The playing of the Vienna Philharmonic under Maazel is breathtaking, teasing out every inch of the tone palette Mahler makes use of.

I've heard Maazel's whole VPO set, I agree that the recorded sound is excellent, as is the orchestral playing. But I found the interpretations uneven. I particularly disliked 5 and 6. The M4 is kind of an acquired taste--there is a lot of tempo flexibility, not always in line with the score, and some people dislike Kathleen Battle's performance. Personally, I like it a lot. Many found the M2 rather slow and not that energetic, but I like it. The M9 has some great string playing. M3 is also good if you overlook Agnes Baltsa.

Apr 12, 2009 at 8:17 PM Post #3,467 of 3,718
In general I really like the Maazel set. His vision of Mahler certainly isn't for everyone. I find 1, 3, 4, 6, and 9 to be just as good as any versions overall. The 2nd is very broad, but very beautiful, too. The 8th you can tell he was bored by it all. The Das Lied (on RCA) is superb. So the 5th: very well played, well conducted and respectful of Mahler's directions. The problem is the coda of the finale. It's too constrained. It doesn't take wing and set the stage on fire. Compare it to Sinopoli and you'll see what I mean. Maazel has never gotten the recognition he should in Mahler and I can't figure out why.

Apr 14, 2009 at 1:41 AM Post #3,468 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maazel has never gotten the recognition he should in Mahler and I can't figure out why.

It's because he's so inconsistent. For every illuminating performance of one piece, there is an interpretation of some other piece that is either odd or tedious. So while nobody criticizes his baton technique or his ability to get an orchestra to do what he wants, his musical judgment hasn't always won praise. This is just as true of his NY Phil concerts as it was in Cleveland.

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #3,469 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's because he's so inconsistent. For every illuminating performance of one piece, there is an interpretation of some other piece that is either odd or tedious. So while nobody criticizes his baton technique or his ability to get an orchestra to do what he wants, his musical judgment hasn't always won praise. This is just as true of his NY Phil concerts as it was in Cleveland.

He did the 6th in concert here in NY a few years ago that was loved by the critics, although a friend who heard one of the three performances didn't care for it. I think he may have been influenced by the fact that Maazel ordered it with the Andante as the second movement. I didn't go because I dislike Avery Fisher Hall so much; nothing sounds great there.

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #3,470 of 3,718
It's because he's the perfect conductor.... except his heart seems to have gone AWOL at some point. I think when performing Mahler a little deference to the greatness of the man goes a long way (ie humility, not one of Lorin's strong points). I once saw him conduct Mahler 9 with LSO. His demeanour suggested he believed the piece had been written as a virtuoso showcase for himself. Flawed genius.

Apr 15, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #3,471 of 3,718
Hi all - It's been a while since I was here and checked this epic thread.

Two questions:

1. What does everyone regard as the hot new Mahler set/recordings?

2. Is it true that the Bernstein NYP set is out of print?

Apr 17, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #3,474 of 3,718
There hasn't been a lot of Mahler lately. Among the hot things I've been enjoying:

Gergiev with LSO in the 6th and 7th. I going to have to get 8 too. Good reviews.

Fischer on Channel in the 4th. Could be my favorite version.

What is supposedly the original version of Das Lied for piano & voice. Different from the familiar piano version, and from the orchestral version. Very enjoyable, if you like this sort of thing. It's on the Avi label.

Apr 17, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #3,475 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rejoice my fellow Mahlerites...........

51tKWrrM7PL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Release date 4/14/09 for Bernstein's 90th anniverary complete set (from birthdate)

The most influential Mahler conductor of all time (in my opinion) will have a newly 2008 remastered version of his first NYPO set, expaned to 12 Cds including a "Mahler remembered" CD, still at budget price level of $69 retail, in a word WOW!

Of course it will be discounted on web, Arkiv selling for $54.99, it will be mine no doubt!
wink_face.gif

A bit of patience and keeping powder dry pays off.......purchased set today for $39 from Amazon sellers
normal_smile .gif

The prodigal son Doc Sarvis returns...........
Unfortunately all the buying frenzy of prior few years has subsided and not much new for mahler devotee like me to tempt new money from my wallet

Apr 17, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #3,477 of 3,718
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all - It's been a while since I was here and checked this epic thread.

Two questions:

1. What does everyone regard as the hot new Mahler set/recordings?

2. Is it true that the Bernstein NYP set is out of print?

Hi! Good to see you here again.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #3,478 of 3,718
Yeah I did it wrong.

I have the complete symphonies 1-10, Gary Bertini after reading this article.

Max Westler surveys "the greatest Mahler Cycle," by conductor Gary Bertini, on EMI mid-price. Review By Max Westler

While I realize Berstein's influence in popularizing Mahler, I do prefer Bertini though. I listened to the new Sony release of Bernstein as reference.

I really don't know much about Mahler other than just using google. Went with this cycle as I'm not as patient or critical of classical music as some of you are.

Love this thread though, very informative and enjoyable to read.

Question to you Mahler fans, how do you listen? I know this is Head-Fi but I prefer to listen to these Symphonies on my speakers than headphones.

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:30 PM Post #3,479 of 3,718
I think that Bertini set is amazing value for money.

I know what you mean about prefering to listen on speakers. Somehow in the big passages it feels like the music needs the space of a room to breathe.

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #3,480 of 3,718
I think Sony really missed a great opportunity on the Bernstein re-re-re-re-release. Many of us have at least some of those recordings, and would have considered the expense of the whole set if they had done three things:
1) Include the Bernstein recordings of Des Knabenwunderhorn et al, both orchestral and piano versions he made.
2) Include both versions of the 2nd: NY and London
3) Remaster the whole thing in SACD. What an incredible missed opportunity. I like Mahler in big stereo sound with speakers, and sacd would/could/should make the experience even better.

Bah! Sony. You missed it! I'll keep looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back